1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Question for all you Mav's fans......

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Jun 5, 2013.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received
    Now that Kidd has announced his retirement, do you think that the team should retire his number?
  2. bounce

bounce Active Member

618 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Not a Mavs fan, but absolutely not. The major part of his career and accolades was as a New Jersey Net or a Phoenix Sun.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received
    Actually, and I could be wrong, the Mav's were the team he spent the longest with. 8 Seasons? He was drafted by the Mavs and his only championship was with the Mavs so I don't know that I agree with you there. However, it's really none of my business because I'm not a Mav's fan.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,900 Messages
    1,655 Likes Received
    I think evenutally, they will consider it.

Kidd considers himself a Mav, the Mavs drafted him, and he won his (and the Mavs') only title in Dallas.
    But he did go back on his word with Cuban when he bolted last year. Until then, I would have said it's a lock. Eventually, the two will patch things up (they've always gotten along great) and Cuban will consider letting Kidd retire his number in Dallas.

He's not the ideal candidate becasue he spent so much time (and so much success) elsewhere. But he is a Hall of Fame player, so Dallas could do worse than having J Kidd's number retired there.
  5. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,347 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    When he left Dallas for New York I don't think he deserves it. Plus most of his career was in New Jersey.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received

Yeah, but I thought that the speculation was that Kidd went back on his word because of the interview Cuban had where he said he would not hang Kidd's Jersey?

Maybe I'm missing some pieces here.
  7. DFWJC

21,900 Messages
    1,655 Likes Received
    The other way around.

Cuban said he wouldn't hang his Jersey because he was so upset that Kidd went back on his word.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received

Why do I keep hearing this? He was in Dallas longer then he was in New Jersey.
  9. DFWJC

21,900 Messages
    1,655 Likes Received
    That's right.

8 to 7
  10. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,347 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    LOL my bad didn't read the other posts. Still nonetheless I don't think his number should be retired.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received
    Auhh.... OK. Well, I wonder if Cuban will reconsider now that Kidd has retired? He would probably be the 1st Maverick player in the HOF. Cuban would look pretty stupid if he didn't have him retired and the guy was the only player in the Hall.
  12. DFWJC

21,900 Messages
    1,655 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I can see by a couple of your comments that you aren't much of a fan of Cuban as an owner?

Anyway. It'll happen.
    Because he went back on his word, I suspect he will have to wait a very short time. But Kidd already is buttering his bread--as he said today he thought Cuban was one of, if not the, best owner in all of sports.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....r-relationship-while-feuding-with-jason-kidd/

Then Dirk will be up there too and also in the HOF.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received
    No, I think you would definitely be wide of the mark there. I don't love the guy, he has done some bone head things over the years but I don't hate him either. For the most part, he's pretty straight up in his opinions, right or wrong, so I can respect that from him.

It's not a personal thing for me. He is what he is.
  14. DFWJC

21,900 Messages
    1,655 Likes Received
    Fair enough.
  15. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,834 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    No, the prime of his career was not in Dallas. I can see where you are coming from because we drafted him and he won a ring here; but I just don't think he was the face of this franchise. 41 is the only number from this era that shall go in the rafters.
  16. bounce

bounce Active Member

618 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I didn't say he wasn't with Dallas the longest of any one team, I just mean that Jason Kidd's accomplishments as a Net or a Sun will be far more remembered than anything he did as a Mav. Championship with Dallas aside, the 12 year span in-between Dallas stints were what made Jason Kidd great. He was with Dallas longer than any one team, but he accomplished more individually, and built his HOF resume, in other uniforms.
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,314 Messages
    696 Likes Received
    For example, he made 2 All-star games as a Maverick while going to 3 as a Sun and 5 with the Nets.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

34,225 Messages
    1,316 Likes Received
    On the other hand, he won 1 NBA championship as a Mav while winning zero as a Sun or a Net.

I think it's all in how you measure accomplishments. I would not have a problem with anybody who said his career was at it's height while playing for other teams but I can also see where a person can make an argument to say that his career reached it's zenith, while playing in Dallas and winning his only championship.
  19. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,314 Messages
    696 Likes Received
    Championships are still dependent on the strength of the entire team, not just the individual. If Kidd was in his prime or at his best the last few years he was in Dallas they perhaps would have won more than 1 championship. It is clear his best days were when he played for other teams even though his greatest accomplishment is winning a championship with the Mavs.
  20. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,834 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Kidd was a bus driver for that championship run.