1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

question for zoners who give college player anaylsis

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Dcowboy84, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,106 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Hey i just had a question for the zoners who offer up player analysis on the college players throughout the year and make draft rankings

i was wondering how you go about watching the players? do you just pick the higher profile players and watch them specifically or do you scout particular schools?

i am trying to get into doing something like this and welcome any advice.
  2. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,091 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    first, i watch some games, especially games at end of year, like championship games, bowl games, and games like senior bowl, east west game, etc...

that gives you some of hottest players and sleepers

then i use draft mags, and online websites

then i come draft time, listen to some zoners on here their insights like silverbear, biggems, etc....

then, i put together all posts i made on sleepers, juniors and seniors on this board, that year, and some others have made, along with draft mags, and some websites, and i put together my lists,

example, one of my posts, in this section, cowboys just looked at a player from drake college, even patriots were there, a well known team that sees talent

then i start putting together my draft, top 300 players, sleepers, players cowboys have looked at, etc... i generally have about 40 posters of these top players, sleepers, etc.. on my wall in my war room, with about 5 top draft mags, and about 3 main draft online subscriptions,

i break down film of some college games too, while looking at videos of some players on some websites, etc too

again, thats the way i do it; here is my war room video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZYX4QIuqHk

thats the way i do it;
  3. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I stick to focusing on position groups where the Cowboys obviously have a need.
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    I do the same. I don`t take it to the level as cowboyjoe , but I am watching line prospects every chance I get. Marcus Cannon looked good last night.
  5. cowboyjoe

28,091 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    i do that too, always look for what cowboys might need, while making up my lists of OG, OTs, WRs, TEs, etc... at least top 8 players in each position, knowing their stats, size, weight, speed, strength etc. so if cowboys draft them, i know who they are

years ago, about 18 or so, cowboys would draft a player in lower rounds that i didnt know anything about, i said enough of that, i will know them, even possibly send some info to cowboys on some players they might not know about and draft

through the years, im not saying they drafted a player on what i sent them, but i did send some info on some players, one of them is a well known cowboy that hardly anyone knew about, but i did, draft mag that i had, stated he was a man among boys in OL, and i sent that to cowboys they drafted him, among some others in lower rounds

about 9 all total, down through the years

one of the players i sent info on, after i sent an article i found on the player the cowboys sent a scout to this kids school to check him out, again, not saying they went on my info but 10 days after i sent cowboys info on the cb, cowboys sent a scout to check him out

down through the years, that cowboys drafted that i sent info on, 3 of them didnt pan out;
  6. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    5 years back I use to be a real draft crackhead.

I would record 150-200 to DVD so I could keep going back and rewatching.
  7. cowboyjoe

28,091 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    wow im impressed realist, i used to record a bunch too, not that many mind you, say about 70 or so, dont even do that much now, probably 14 if at that during the seaon, mostly just watch them

but i do record the bowl games for college, and all of the senior bowl, east west games where seniors are competing against other top seniors, etc

you get a better judge of talent that way i think,
    :cool:
  8. Dcowboy84

Dcowboy84 Well-Known Member

1,106 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    wow that's some great stuff joe, thanks for the info

i'll have to take baby steps to get that far, haha
  9. The Realist

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That was the old days before my daughter was born.

Fun being able to go back and watch Ware take apart LSU's OL.