1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Question on Landry Jones

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Prossman, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    I realise this is longhorn country but i do have a question about landry Jones. The guy has the size 6'4" 220lb big arm, comes from a bigtime school. He completes 64%+ of his pass with a qb rating in the 140 range for his career. I read that what is scaring scouts is if he gets hit good a couple of time is accuracy falls off bigtime. Which is why he now is a 3rd round prospect vs a top 10. I havent watched him allot, so i need your help on this one because his numbers dont reflect a massive meltdown like people worry about. What is the deal guys? tyvm
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    he has the David Carr syndrome only with less reason
  3. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Would rather wait on Manziel or Mariota.
  4. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When he plays ranked schools and the game is tight he disappears period end of story. Misses guys, throws a pic what ever he just underwhelms when the spotlight is bright. The sad part is he has all the physical tools in the world to be great at the next level; I am not sure he has the mental make up to be successful at the next level.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    Being a OU hater I was always a fan of his physical ability but the guy is just missing something.

He would be perfect here though because we could sit him on the bench and just forget about him while he gets himself ready.

Someone will take him high though and I just don't think he's worth it. There is something lacking.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    His entire team does too though. Coaches included.
  7. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The exception is Texas :eek:
  8. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,242 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    He might make a good backup one day but I doubt it.
  9. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Landry is for real. great arm reminds me of a bRady type.
  10. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    He's awful duck throwing extrodianare, he looked good tonite against WVU's absolute pathetic excuse for a defense but make no mistake he's trash as a QB. I'm a WVU fan & I wouldn't draft Geno in the first 2 days of the draft but there is no way I would even think about drafting Landry.
  11. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,242 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    This is turning into a pretty weak QB class. Quantity but no quality. Geno Smith has looked very average vs. the Big XII after their win streak, Barkley continues to look mediocre, and Tyler Wilson is just underwhelming in general.

Tyler Bray isn't ready either but with his coach about to get fired, he probably declares. No QB worth taking in the Top-10 IMO
  12. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,544 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    the answer is NO regarding Landry Jones.
    At best he is Kyle Orton, at worst Jason White 2.0. The only team he consistently plays well against is Texas...which just about goes for OU as a whole the last few years.
    Have to agree with some here, the QB class this year looks horrible IMO. Hate to say it but the Skins picked the right draft to burn down their next two drafts for a QB otherwise they'd be waiting til at least 2014 for a decent draftable QB. Matt Barkley, touted to the #1 draft pick in whatever class he decided to go since 2010, looked better to me as a freshman than he does now. Now he looks like another USC QB bust. I'm sure the constant coaching turnover hasn't helped but seriously looked like he hasn't gotten any better. Geno Smith looked like RGIII 2.0 for 5 games....now he looks like Tavarious Jackson 2.0. I'm guessing he's going to end up closer to the latter cuz...cmon if you can't beat Big 12 defenses....not much hope for you in the NFL.
    Honestly, and I know he had a bad outing last night, but Collin Klein would be my pick if I had to pick a QB. I wouldn't use a high first round pick on him but maybe late or second round. He's obviously big and mobile but he usually plays an extremely intelligent game and makes good decisions consistently. That to me will get you farther in the NFL usually. I don't see that Braxton Miller is going to be any better than Troy Smith was IMO. Outside those guys, maybe toss in the Alabama QB, I can't see a QB in this next draft making a big impact as a starter. Maybe good or bad for us but looks like it will be deep at OL.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    no surprise at all