1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Quick cap update (8/15/07)...$13,045,204

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by AdamJT13, Mar 1, 2007.

1. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,935 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Our cap adjustment came in at $2,717,626, so our cap limit will be $111,717,626. That adjustment comes mostly from Abram Elam's $3.1 million LTBE incentive that he didn't earn, along with some incentives that were earned (Flozell Adams' $500,000 for making the Pro Bowl, presumably) and other various charges/credits.

Also, Romo's salary increased by $500,000 because of an escalator clause in his contract (he reached half of his incentives last season).

After cutting Bledsoe, Hannam and Whitley and after tendering our exclusive-rights free agents (Polite, Procter, Berger, Elam, Bowen and Stanley), we are $22.304 million under the cap.

That will be lowered when we officially sign McBriar and after we tender offers to our remaining restricted free agents (Crayton, Reeves, Fowler, Nate Jones and possibly Pierce).

Another update (3/3/07) -- after our RFA tenders and signing McBriar (it's official now), we are $18,853,647 under the cap. That could go up if we decide to prorate the roster bonus Terry Glenn gets this weekend.

McBriar's cap numbers are $1.1 million in 2007, $1.4 million in 2008, $1.75 million in 2009, $2.05 million in 2010 and $2.2 million in 2011.

Another update (3/6/07) -- After signing Davis, Johnson and Grammatica, we are $16,533,647 under the cap.

We prorated $4 million out of Glenn's $5 million roster bonus, saving $3 million.

Grammatica's cap number is $900,000, and Johnson's is $1,833,333. Grammatica got a $200,000 signing bonus, and Johnson got $2.5 million.

A minor update (3/7/07) -- The league's salary cap has been raised from $109 million to $109,134,000. So that bumps us up to $16,667,647 of cap room.

Another update (3/13/07) -- After re-signing Colombo and cutting Fabini, we are $14,084,314 under the cap.
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Thanks Adam. I read earlier today that Crayton will be tendered at 1.3 Million. The rest at 830k. I'll try and find the link for you.
  3. philo beddoe

philo beddoe Benched

1,895 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good info. Thanks.
  4. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,597 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    "That adjustment comes mostly from Abram Elam's $3.1 million LTBE incentive that he didn't earn"

Please explain this? LTBE? How does an undrafted rookie out of Kent State have $3.1 million associated anywhere near his name?
  5. sjordan6

sjordan6 Member

708 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks Adam...I guess this is what amazes me. We have so much money in cap space ( especially when you think how teams are able to spread out money over so many years) and next season they will probably have even more if they release one of the veteran receivers,adams,maybe ferguson, a. glenn,maybe ellis...while the cap goes up another $8 million to $117, whats the big fuss in not signing guys like Columbo?

I am still amazed at how Parcells and Jerry were able to accumulate such a talented team while manage the cap like poetry.

I think the Cowboys will sign another CB/OL/QB backup by tomorrow night.
  6. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,208 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    It's a cap loophole. You assign bonuses as likely to be earned to a scrub, and when they aren't you get a credit the following year.

Teams do it when they have extra cap room one year and want to carry it over into the next.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    We have to leave 3-5 million to sign the picks. Want to keep that much during the season just in case. so take 8 - 10 million away. So say that leaves us around 14 million to use. Clayton and company take up say 3 million. That leaves 11. Columbo- I think we get him for a little less then we signed Gurode for. But a shorter deal- probably 4 years. Probably use up 3-4 million in cap space. So we have say 7-8 million left. That MIGHT be enough for one of the guards we want and a backup QB.
  8. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks Adam ... I don't know what we would do w/out you.

$20K or so I'm ready to do some early Christmas shopping. :)
  9. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,843 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Looking for retirement homes?

Try something with 'Shady' or 'Pines', possibly a combination of both. I'm sure they serve DP.
  10. BigWillie

BigWillie Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    $3-$4 million against the cap for Columbo? Hmmm ... expecting a rather hefty signing, eh?
  11. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Active Member

7,599 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    ahh cmon now, you're better than that. Crayton. Not Clayton, even though I know you knew that haha.
  12. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,011 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    Our picks won't require 3-4 million of cap space. No way. And Columbo will count more like 2 million. 22 something minus the tenders, McBriar, etc., gives us about 20 (just a ballpark). We could get away with 5 million for our rookie pool, all the extra crap you have to pay for, and a little reserve pile for the season just in case. That leaves about 15. Minus 2.5 for Colombo and Grammatica (wishful thinking and ballpark figure) leaves 12.5 for FAs. Davis or Dockery, at inflated prices being thrown around would cost us 2.5, 3 tops. The backup QB might count anywhere between 500K and 2 million, depending on who we get. At worst, then, we'd have 7.5 left. That would get us 2 great FAs, 3 good ones, or 4 sleepers.

We've got the money if we choose to spend like Charles Barkley in Vegas (which I would counsel against.)
  13. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    it's not a "home", it's a community!!
  14. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    My apologies, but I can't find the link now.
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,392 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    You should take into account some cap space being allocated to a new Romo contract. It's probably going to cost us at least a couple more mill in space.
  16. COWBOYSNUM1

COWBOYSNUM1 Active Member

621 Messages
    26 Likes Received
  17. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Forgot about Romo. But that will happen later on. that is why I was saying we need to keep 3-5 million in the pocket. Maybe a little more.
  19. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I thought CBZ was a man. :huh:
  20. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Any incentive added to a contract after the season has begun is ruled as Likely to Be Earned (LTBE) by the league. A LTBE incentive counts against the current year's salary cap, but if unearned, is credited to the following year's cap.

These rules creates a loophole such that teams can give players unachievable incentives (e.g., 10 interceptions in the last two games) towards the end of the season that will effectively push excess cap space to the following year.