1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Quick! Im debating Emmitt vs Barry on ESPN boards and I need a quote...

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by EMMITTnROY, Mar 27, 2006.

1. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    this guy that is full of crap and making stuff up had a quote from Jimmy Johnson saying that he called Sanders the best of all-time.. I know for a fact thats bull because I have heard Jimmy say PLENTY of times that Emmitt was the best ever.. does anyone have a quote by Jimmy that I can use to back it up?
  2. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,080 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Why not just quote the record book,, it clearly says that Emmitt was the best.
  3. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,716 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    sorry i cant think of one. But ask him who he would rather have running the ball into the endzone on 4th and 2 with time running out. emmitt who was money at the goal line or barry dance too much and lose 3 yards.
  4. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,316 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    Barry Sanders is the best Rb I have ever seen carry the ball, even Emmitt agrees.
  5. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    isn't this like debating which is better - a lamborghini or a ferrari?

both are bad arse and it's up to personal taste after that. sheesh - bored people.
  6. Catch-22

Catch-22 Member

872 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Emmitt himself said that Barry Sanders and Walter Payton were better runners "by far"
  7. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    this is easy.....who is #1 in the record books?????
    barry was a freak with the ball but if you look in a dictionary under the word quitter you will find barry's picture in front of it....
  8. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    ive debated this many times and schooled many people.. i just wondered if anyone had a quote from Jimmy cause I have heard him say with my own ears a few times that Emmitt is the best ever..
  9. Cowboy4ever

2,080 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    I have actually had this debate back in the day.. when they were both playing.. and I still contend,, that Sanders was the best pure runner,, maybe to ever dress,, but Smith was the best all around back out of the two.. and i would take that 10 out 10 times,, every day.
  10. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,589 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    This is worthless arguing over. I'll take Emmitt's yards, postseason stats, his Super Bowl rings, and the fact that he never quit on his team and let Sanders fans have all of the highlights and touting of him being the best RB ever.

Rich..............
    Sanders = most overrated player I've ever seen
  11. PoetTree

PoetTree Active Member

339 Messages
    72 Likes Received

The quote:

"Barry Sanders is a very exciting runner, with all the things he can do. He's very fun to watch. So, if I'm a fan and I want to watch someone run the ball, I'd want to watch Barry Sanders. But if I'm a coach and I want to win championships, then I'd want Emmitt Smith."

And yet, another:

"What makes Emmitt special... is that he’s got just such tremendous pride. He wants to be the very, very best... and that’s what drives him during a game, that determination. He’s a great player... and the greatest running back I’ve ever seen in my life."

And there ya have it. These are most definitely Jimmy Johnson quotes. I've used both in articles that were thoroughly researched. It's a fact. Good luck on the imminent ***-kicking you're gonna give whoever you're debating with.

:cool:

Peace and Love

- PoetTree -
  12. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    if you can't even get a jimmy quote on emmitt when you need it, i don't even wanna know what you consider "schooled".

then again i don't even wanna know why people waste their time arguing over rb's who both were damn good at their game. just let it go at that cause i've got a feeling the sanders guy probably thinks he "schooled" you.
  13. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    If the debate is who is the better runner then Barry wins and what Emmitt said is correct.

If the debate is who is the better RB then Emmitt wins.

Who was the better passer Dan Marino or Joe Montana? Dan Marino was the better passer.

Who was the better QB? Joe Montana.

Two different questions two different answers.
  14. locked&loaded

locked&loaded its redskin season

2,773 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    how bout they took barry out inside the 20... or he coudlnt get short yards for bull
  15. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,027 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    List the starting offensive line for the 1-15 Dallas Cowboys of 1989.

Mark Tuinei, Nate Newton, Mark Stepnoski, Kevin Gogan and Crawford Ker.

These guys couldn't even spell "pro bowl" in 1989. After Emmitt arrived, 80% of them suddenly became great players.
  16. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    sanders= quitter
    emmitt= heart
  17. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,589 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    Define "pure runner."

Sanders was afraid to get hit and was that way back in high school. Because of that, he make constant ill advised cutbacks to avoid the hits. Sometimes it worked wonders for him. But too often he gave up the sure 4-5 yard gain and got a 3-4 yard loss instead.

To me, a "pure runner" has to be able to see the hole, use the lane that has developed for him, and take the hit.

Rich..........
  18. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just tell your foe that Emmitt was a diamond among trash. That'll "school" him.
  19. Cowboy4ever

2,080 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Well whatever his reasons were,, the man could cut on a dime and not lose speed,, that is a freak of nature. I never seen anyone that was able to come close to Sanders with his body control being able to shift his body on the move. That is all i meant.
  20. doomsday81

doomsday81 New Member

398 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I used to argue Emmitt all the time myself but I found it to be a moot point a few months ago when on "Quite Frankley" Emmitt was asked who the best running back of all-time was he said, "Barry Sanders by far. He's the best I've ever seen. As far as a runner goes, I don't think I'm even in his class. That boy could do things none of us could do."

He might of just been saying it but he really had no reason to and Emmitt isn't known for being a guy that says something just to say it. Anyway, I thought that was interesting.