1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Quinton Coples, DE, UNC

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheFinisher, Jan 12, 2012.

1. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,291 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    Haven't seen a thread on this guy but he should be someone who's in play if we stay at 14. We were supposedly set to take JJ Watt last year if Tyron wasn't available so the FO must value the 5 Techs and recognizes the need for an upgrade. It would make sense for us to be interested in someone with the skillset of Coples, who has the upside to be one of the best 34 Ends in football. Compares favorably to Calais Campbell from AZ.
  2. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    He's a tough one. On one hand you see physical gifts rare for a man his size, than on the other you see a player who seems to take plays off and doesn't dominate the way you'd expect.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,968 Messages
    1,223 Likes Received
    poor motor. NYET.
  4. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Don't think you should expect to see him there at the 14th spot. Most mocks have him going before we get on the clock. If he happens to be there, of course we have to consider it. But until the 15th, there is still time for college players to declare for the draft, so anything an change.

Coples "abilities" are unquestioned, but he takes plays off it seems. I want a full out every play type. Maybe we settle for a bit less "ability" and a bit more heart?
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,926 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Really don't see Copels as a 5 tech guy. In sure he could do it, but it would a complete waste of his talent. I think he's more of a traditional 4-3 end. I've seen Peppers comparisons. I highly doubt he will be as good, but same type of player.
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    If we are trying to get more athletic for a better pass rush he may make sense.

He could also be a guy who we flip into lots of different roles:

4-man DE
    5-tech DE in 3-4
    4-man 3-tech DT
    OLB

I think this is the direction we have to move in a passing predominant league. We have to get more athletic on the DL and we need guys who could morph into multiple roles to take advantage of Rob Ryan's schemes. He may actually be a perfect player for such a role if he happens to slide in the draft.

The one thing I worry about is guys who come from teams with multiple great defensive talents often look better on the field in college than they do in the NFL.

It will be interesting to see his true measurables at the Combine.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,802 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    Questions about his motor.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I have not watched much UNC football this ear , but the little I watched , it seems to be true . It seems to be a problem because every scouing report that I have read lists this as his major weakness .
  9. twentytwo

twentytwo Member

564 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Went to UNC and got to see him play quite a bit. I still think he can be a great player, but he was SO much better last year. He's lucky to still be so high on draft boards.
  10. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

2,971 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    I agree.

There weren't any questions about Quinton Coples' motor last year.

Wes Bunting attributed the difference in play this season possibly being due to Coples playing not to get hurt.

DE 2011: 7.5 sacks, 15 TFLs
    DT 2010: 10 sacks, 15.5 TFLs

If Coples is available at #14, I expect Dallas will have done its homework on the prospect and gotten a thorough report from Butch Davis as well.

They will likely be discussing DE Donte Paige-Moss as well.

Paige-Moss could be a very interesting late round possibility if character questions are answered satisfactorily.
  11. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I'd take Brockers or Still over Coples if we look to go this route.
  12. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,291 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    Brockers and Still are good players but they're along the lines of what we already have at DE, guys who are stout but don't offer much pass rush ability. The only way I think we go DE in the 1st is if it's someone who offers value as a pass rusher, like Coples.
  13. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,238 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I'll take those numbers from a 3-4 DE lol
  14. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,807 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    That's a tough one. I think we have higher pressing needs and am concerned about him bringing it each and every snap.