1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Quinton Coples

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Jan 17, 2012.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Any chance this kid drops? What's the 411 on him?
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Great talent backed up by lack of effort .
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    His lack of production after the mass exodus of UNC defensive players into the draft last year kinda scares me. Was he just a product of the other great players around him?
  4. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,426 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I watched every game tape on Bruce Carter i could from last year and all i kept telling my friend whos house i was at was that Coples was going top 10 GUARANTEED. then this season came around and maybe it starter before that but i guess the kid just lacks the drive or motivation to give 100% every play. If you can do this you have a monster. a MONSTER.
  5. Outlaw Heroes

Outlaw Heroes Well-Known Member

2,093 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I'd stay away. Desire is something you can't teach. And listlessness tends to be contagious.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,323 Messages
    4,852 Likes Received
    Not a Garrett RKG.

I think Garrett would be more likely to pick a player that has off-field trouble than one that has motivation problems.
  7. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    could be as dominant an end as there has been in years.

Size, ability, speed, explosiveness BUT took plays off this year.

Dominant junior year, numbers fell off this year but still had a very good year, after moving inside to DT.

I'd look long and hard at him at 14. Ability wise he's head and shoulders better than JJWatt last year. watt just has the desire. If this kid can get that he's an all pro.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Many people have speculated he was playing to avoid injury this year.

That is one problem with the college system for these guys who are first round locks. If they get injured they may get nothing instead of $10-15 million dollars. I also suspect most of them can't afford the sort of insurance policy that would be required to cover them.

If he played with great effort and desire last year than it probably is in him.

This would have to get sorted out during interviews. If he tests well we should consider signing him if he drops to us because he is a top 5 talent at a major position of need. We need a penetrating DL and complementary pass rusher to take this defense to the next level.
  9. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,030 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    2010 (DT): 10 sacks, 15.5 TFLs.

2011 (DE): 7.5 sacks, 15 TFLs.

Not much of a drop off in the stats.

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but that's good consistency despite changing positions, IMO.

Lots of players do.

Quinton Coples watched teammate Bruce Carter lose millions with a November ACL and Deunta Williams' career ended with a freak ankle injury in the Music City Bowl in 2010.

Williams suffered nerve damage when his foot turned from 12:00 to 7:00 and has been granted disability, he's now focusing on starting a career in radio.

The last play in Williams final college game turned out to be the end of his career.

How couldn't that have an impact on Coples and the rest of the team?

The hot/cold motor worry never came up prior to 2011 as far as I'm aware.

Coples wouldn't have been so highly rated entering his senior season if it had, IMO.

Butch Davis is just a phone call away, the front office can trust for an honest opinion of any of the current Tar Heels.

If Coples is green lighted, I expect him to be on the team's short list of targets at #14 going into the draft.

If the passion and desire are there, it's like Wes Bunting said, Coples can be as good as he wants to be in the NFL.

That's attractive.
  10. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    this....watt motor runs on high while coples seem to be in cruise control. Even while saying that. He didn't have a bad year. But it was just a bad year for a player with his ability.
  11. WilmingtonHeel

WilmingtonHeel Member

910 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    UNC alum, lack of effort was not a problem that's bull he played end again for the sake of the team, and he was doubled and chipped a whole lot. Teams ran away from him on top of this, Great talent and young man
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,468 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    this team has enough players on cruise control already

lets get some self starters
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    That is my concern . What will he do in a contract year ? Play to his potential or play it safe to may sure he is healthy for another payday ? It makes you wonder .
  14. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I would not draft him in the 1st.

Once lazy, always lazy. We need beasts on this team, not sissies.
  15. revospeed

revospeed Active Member

536 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    I don't think we should take him based on his bad decisions. Case in point, the Omegas burnt into his arms.
  16. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,067 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Inconsistent motor/effort is what I've read. Never seen him play though. So, take it for what it's worth.
  17. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,601 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    I agree. The guy averaged 8.5 sacks the last 2 seasons while supposedly not giving full effort??? I was a big Watt fan last draft but Coples is a better athlete. Coples reminds me of Justin Tuck, in that he is a DE who can also make plays at DT. He is so strong, explosive and long, he simply makes plays the closer he is to the QB. And he runs a 4.6 at almost 290 lbs.

Rare talent. I hope he drops and Cowboys are able to trade down for another 2nd or 3rd and still be able to take him. The perceived flaws allow Jerry to get great value. Jerry just has to stop being so gunshy about players with minor off field issues. Trust Butch.
  18. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    What's wrong with that?
  19. dools

dools Member

220 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I doubt he even drops to 14, but if he does I wouldn't risk trading down to get him.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,805 Messages
    1,699 Likes Received
    Sky is the limit for this kid but there are question marks. One thing is for sure thou, our staff will know everything there is to know about him. Jerry will call Butch and I believe that Butch would give Jerry the straight up on what the real story is.