1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

"Community Organizer" Code Word For "Black"

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    McCain Campaign Fumes Over Paterson's Racism Claim

N.Y. Governor Says Palin's Repeated Use Of 'Community Organizer' Is Another Way Of Saying 'Black'
    Reporting
    Don Dahler

ALBANY (CBS) ― On Monday, Gov. David Paterson angered some state lawmakers by comparing them to vampires, calling them a bunch of "blood suckers." On Tuesday, he raised eyebrows again, and tempers, by accusing the John McCain campaign of veiled racism.

At the Crain's Business Forum this morning, Paterson drew attention to a phrase used numerous times by speakers at the Republican National Convention to describe Barack Obama's leadership experience: community organizer.

"I think the Republican Party is too smart to call Barack Obama 'black' in a sense that it would be a negative. But you can take something about his life, which I noticed they did at the Republican Convention – a 'community organizer.' They kept saying it, they kept laughing," he said.

Paterson referred to McCain's running mate Sarah Palin who compared her work experience to Obama's.

"So I suppose a small town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except with real responsibilities," she said at the convention.

Paterson sees the repeated use of the words "community organizer" as Republican code for "black".

"I think where there are overtones is when there are uses of language that are designed to inhibit other people's progress with a subtle reference to their race," he said.

But the McCain/Palin campaign quickly fired back in a statement, saying: "It is disappointing that Governor Paterson would launch accusations of racism. … Governor Palin's remarks about Barack Obama's work as a community organizer was in response to the Obama campaign's belittling of her executive experience."

The statement goes on to point out Sarah Palin's own experience of civic involvement and says Paterson's comments are "a sure sign of a flailing campaign that is bordering on desperation".

Paterson raises the question of whether the Presidential race has become desperate or devious.

"At this point, Americans wouldn't tolerate a racial appeal. What I'm saying is that there are sneaky ways to try to hurt someone," he said.

Paterson does say he's not certain that's happening.

But what disturbed him was what seemed like derisive laughter on the part of the Republicans at Obama's choice of helping his community rather than getting rich on Wall Street.

Paterson is New York state's first black governor.

Cajun's comments:
    This is why these bafoons are gong to loose. Well this and most everyone hates their policies. Race, Change, Sexism, Change. Nam calling, Change. Yeah right!
  2. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,486 Messages
    1,713 Likes Received
    I'm a "Community Organizer" for my neighborhood.

I will leave it at that.
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,326 Messages
    4,294 Likes Received
    Would I be wrong to laugh at what he said?
  4. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't believe you Hos. You don't have the right credential's. You need to be Black to be one. Didn't you read this well thought out article regarding the brilliant Gov. from NY? :D
  5. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not only would you be correct in doing so, but I think the humor factor requires it.

On a side note, WTH does " Peep the swag on me" mean? I know I'm not cool enough to understand but I want to give it a shot. :eek::
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,326 Messages
    4,294 Likes Received
    Slang for "See how good I look."

It's ripped from a lyric in a rap song that I KNOW you have never heard. :D
  7. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,722 Messages
    35 Likes Received

Not trying to make you mad but according to the artical then you are a "black" for your neighborhood. ???

I mow the yards of two older couples that live on my block, and I chase off loud drunk teenagers at night. Does that count? Probably not, because I'm white.
  8. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey! I'm down with Vanilla Ice! Just cuz I'm White I can get down. The problem is I'm over 40 and can't get back up afterwards. :mad:

BTW, thanks for the info. Not sure how but I plan on squeezing into a conversation sometime today.:cool:
  9. Hostile

118,486 Messages
    1,713 Likes Received
    I am part Black, so maybe that's where I get my qualifications. (Tongue in cheek people, relax.)
  10. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Are you the guy who told that pickup truck owner he couldn't park in his own driveway?
  11. Hostile

118,486 Messages
    1,713 Likes Received
    No, but I was the guy ripping the Parking ticket guy a new rear end. The same guy recently gave my landscaper a ticket for parking on my property. Pissed me off.
  12. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,039 Messages
    731 Likes Received
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,498 Messages
    1,486 Likes Received
    So then, is PTA member code for White Soccer Mom? :laugh2:

It's hard to imagine how these people can not see how rediculous they sound but I guess they don't.
  14. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Which part?
    And keep it clean, this is a family oriented board. ;)
  15. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    not if you found it funny. : )
  16. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    i tell people i'm black from the waist down, but i'm pretty sure they know i'm kidding. : )
  17. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One man's "community organizer" is another man's "outside agitator."
  18. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

That's kind of what I was fishing for... but you beat him to it.
  19. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  20. Hostile

118,486 Messages
    1,713 Likes Received
    My great grandmother on my father's side part.

My butt. :D