1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

"Diamonds v. Pearls" Student Blasts CNN (Updated With CNN Response)

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by trickblue, Nov 16, 2007.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,721 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Link

"Diamonds v. Pearls" Student Blasts CNN (Updated With CNN Response)

Maria Luisa, the UNLV student who asked Hillary Clinton whether she preferred "diamonds or pearls" at last night's debate wrote on her ******* page this morning that CNN forced her to ask the frilly question instead of a pre-approved query about the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository.

"Every single question asked during the debate by the audience had to be approved by CNN," Luisa writes. "I was asked to submit questions including "lighthearted/fun" questions. I submitted more than five questions on issues important to me. I did a policy memo on Yucca Mountain a year ago and was the finalist for the Truman Scholarship. For sure, I thought I would get to ask the Yucca question that was APPROVED by CNN days in advance."

Now, Luisa is getting "swamped" with critical e-mails.

So what happened?

Writes Luisa:
    "CNN ran out of time and used me to "close" the debate with the pearls/diamonds question. Seconds later this girl comes up to me and says, "you gave our school a bad reputation.' Well, I had to explain to her that every question from the audience was pre-planned and censored. That's what the media does. See, the media chose what they wanted, not what the people or audience really wanted. That's politics; that's reality. So, if you want to read about real issues important to America--and the whole world, I suggest you pick up a copy of the Economist or the New York Times or some other independent source. If you want me to explain to you how the media works, I am more than happy to do so. But do not judge me or my integrity based on that question."
    Rivals to Clinton believe that the debate audience had a pro-Clinton tilt. UNLV was responsible for distributing most of the tickets.

In a separate post, Luisa provides the question she wanted to ask:
    Yucca Mountain, NV is the proposed site for the country's nuclear waste repository. Despite scientific evidence that it is a vulnerable site, the federal government continues to push for the plan to move forward. The evidence relied on is unsound and the risks involved in transporting high-level radioactive waste across the country are high. What will you [Sen. Clinton] do to ensure that the best site/s is/are chosen for the storage of spent nuclear reactor fuel?
    Sam Feist, the executive producer of the debate, said that the student was asked to choose another question because the candidates had already spent about ten minutes discussing Yucca Mountain.

"When her Yucca mountain question was asked, she was given the opportunity to ask another question, and my understanding is that the [diamond v. pearls] questions was her other question," Feist said. "She probably was disappointed, but we spent a lot of time with a bunch of different candidates on Yucca Mountain, and we were at the end of the debate."

Greg Sargent of TPM Election Central has a CNN spoxperson giving a slightly different story...
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,105 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    where did CNN come up with the questions?
  3. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,721 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    [IMG] , maybe? ;)
  4. iceberg

28,105 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    i don't want to jump to conclusions - but if she said it would never happen again and this gets linked back to her, in the end she's letting something so stupid and trivial cost her far more than it should.

will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
  5. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You're not jumping to conclusions, you're connecting the dots. Of course it'll be linked to her.

This is a ****ing disgrace and all these candidates are nothing more than, more of the same crap. From this leftover hippie who grew up, to Guiliani.

I haven't listened much to people like Brownback, Kucinich or Romney or even McCain, (so maybe they have), but he only one I've heard who hasn't simply 'listed' issues and actually offered suggestions is the one who will not stand a chance in hell: Ron Paul.

I'm glad this girl came forward with this and hope this and the last article set's a precedant of exposing these frauds.

Diamonds or Pearls, Hillary? You know you need to appeal to the fatty's at home on the couch.
  6. iceberg

28,105 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    i'm sure brittney spears loved the question.

like i said, those who cite her stance on the issues but forgive her lies...i thought bush let me down....

i'll never understand how if you know someone is a liar and far too willing to lie, how can you believe a promise she makes?
  7. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    She has no stance on the issues; she simply lists them without stating what she will do about them. Another useless talking head.
  8. iceberg

28,105 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    gore kept saying "i can do better" but never once said how that i ever heard. then again i hated gore till his concession speech, that was one of the top speechs i've heard in all time.

i understand the need for change
    i understand the distrust bush has brought upon himself
    i understand the desire to put integrity and pride back into our leadership

i don't understand how hillary can accomplish any of those except that she's "not bush". admirable trait but no one in here *is* bush so we share the same qualification.

then again, i'd vote for you vta in a heartbeat. : ) is it too late for you to run?
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,034 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    *** are you guys talking about?

None of this has anything to do with Hillary other than she was there.
    CNN doesn't work for her and didn't ask her to sign off on any questions.

The young lady wrote a series of questions, they were approved and she was asked to use one of them by a CNN person, not Hillary.

If the audience was pro-Hillary perhaps that could easily be explained by the fact she is dominating the polls in Nevada but let's not allow a little fact distort the nonsense.

I am sure the fact these students get to read their name in the news has nothing to do with the fact they continue to talk about these questions as if they were held down and forced to ask them.

The first girl was given a planted question. This girl was told which of her questions to ask based upon what had already been covered. She decided to ask her questions of Hillary apparently regardless of what question she asked. I wonder why....
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,034 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    I am sure you are familiar with her platform but just in case you are not describe which topic you'd like to see her clarify. I think her stance on the issues was fairly well fleshed out in Nevada. CNN did a good job of asking Yes and No questions and forcing the candidates to take a side. She was actually much more clear then Edwards and Obama both of whom refused to answer yes and no questions.

Then again I love threads about a debate by people who didn't watch the debate, ROFL!

I saw a lot of ******** monkey chatter about Bill Clinton too; all he did was lead this country beautifully.
  11. iceberg

28,105 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    well since hillary has said this was only a one time event and facts show otherwise, yet you don't see the "lie" - i gotta wonder.

clinton lead beautifully? was this when he was handed bin laden and said "nah"? was this when the cole was attacked and he said "oh, that's ok..." or is this him hitting on anything in a skirt?

clinton did some good things for this country and was a very charasmatic man - but beautifully?
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,034 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    good lord ice are you mentally challenged?

how did hillary or her camp plant a question here?
    how did she do anything at all wrong?

this girl created 5 questions at her own behest. She decided to name Hillary in her questions. Hillary and her camp had no idea who this girl was. Hillary did not decide who got called on or which questions were selected.

This did not come off as anything other than a stupid question. It didn't serve anyone's purposes.

CNN chose to pick this girl and her moronic question which was not a plus to Hillary at all.

CNN also had the chick asking questions whose husband works for Mitt Romney and who worked for Bush in the previous two elections... yet amazingly no crying over that huh.
  13. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,972 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Hilary is two faced and an idiot to boot. I can't believe someone as smart as you would even consider an idiot like her. You dissapoint me.
  14. iceberg

28,105 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    first of all - i'm not insulting you - back down some, ok?

i *never said she planted the questions*. for yellling at *my* comprehension you may wanna check your own levels.

i said "where did cnn get the quetions from"? others say yes she likely planted them, i asked where CNN got them.

clear?

then i said regardless of what happens, hillary is a liar - and cited her "known event" where she said it's never happened before, yet trick knows of 2 times.

*here* is where you should be saying that just because hillarys minions planted the questions hillary is blamess cause she can't or doesn't know. you're putting up the wrong wall here.

you're taking this pretty personal - ya know?
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,034 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    If you think you are half as smart as Hillary then you are sadly mistaken.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,034 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    Ice, I am frustrated at the nonsense you are posting here.

Essentially you are saying well if this really happened like this... but we KNOW it didn't happen like that.

You do not need to ask how CNN got the questions, the info is easily found in the articles. The girls herself wrote 5 questions. CNN asked if she wanted to ask the diamonds and pearls questions, she replied yes and then asked it. When her classmates attacked her and said she made UNLV sound stupid she responded on friggin ******* saying she wanted to ask the Yucca mountain question but was asked not to. This was the debate's final question. If was fluff and meaningless. Yucca mountain had been debated previously.

As to Bill, yes I stated beautifully. He had a budget surplus, the economy was booming, taxes were certainly not high, the court of public opinion world wide was on our side against the extremists of the world.
  17. iceberg

28,105 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    i get frustrated also, jt. i have NO IDEA how you can say hillary isn't a liar over the whole "it's never happened before" statement.

trick has seen 2 personaly.

you want to say her minions did it and not her, but do you really think hillary has *no idea* it was being done? if not then you're saying she's a smart one yet she never figures out her speeches are always spot on for the questions in the audience? she's a liar or she's ignorant. or trick is lying.

so i get frustrated you seem to use any handy reason to excuse hillary vs. take her at face value. like i said - it seems personal to you.
  18. iceberg

28,105 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    and bush before him had nothing to do with setting any of that up? i lost most of my $ due to their hassling microsoft about putting a freakng browser in the OS. so i have a different perspective.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,034 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    Hillary's camp told Trick to choose questions off of a list.
    That is her camp's choice. Trick never asked Hillary about it at all.
    It is not unusual at all fo that to happen. Yes, Trick has stated it was unusual for him, but it is certianly well documented in other cases.

I am not trying to defend Hillary's honor here. I am sure she will gladly mislead or twist things. but what you are talking about is not proof of a lie. It is merely proof you can not leave it alone.

With this issue you are back peddling back to being so worried about a possible lie that you are making up possible scenarios that did not happen.

Sr. Bush did not balance the budget or even come close. Clinton did. Sr. Bush can not claim he balanced the budget, Bill can. Period. Sr. Bush has the highest deficits in history until shrub came along and smashed those records like a roided up Barry Bonds:)
  20. iceberg

28,105 Messages
    1,156 Likes Received
    then why didn't she just say it wasn't unusual and done for specific reasons and explain it?