1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

"lockerbie bomber" freed on compassionate grounds

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by daschoo, Aug 20, 2009.

1. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,387 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8197370.stm

The Lockerbie bomber is to be released on compassionate grounds, the Scottish Government has announced. Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi, 57, was jailed in 2001 for the atrocity which claimed 270 lives in 1988.
    Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill revealed that the Libyan, who has terminal prostate cancer, would be allowed to return to his homeland.
    The US Government said it "deeply regretted" the Scottish Government's decision to release Megrahi.
    The BBC understands he will be flown to Tripoli on a specially chartered plane due to leave Glasgow after 1400 BST.
    The government said it had consulted widely before Mr MacAskill made his decision on applications for Megrahi's compassionate release or his transfer to a Libyan jail.

[IMG][IMG]
    Megrahi had applied for release or transfer to a Libyan prison
    [IMG]

He told a media conference on Thursday that he had rejected the application for a prisoner transfer.
    However, after taking medical advice it was expected that three months was a "reasonable estimate" of the time Megrahi had left to live.
    He ruled out the option of the Libyan being allowed to live in Scotland on security grounds.
    And he stressed that he accepted the conviction and sentence which had been handed to Megrahi.
    However, Mr Macaskill said Scots defined themselves by their humanity.
    "Mr al-Megrahi did not show his victims any comfort or compassion. They were not allowed to return to the bosom of their families to see out their lives, let alone their dying days. No compassion was shown by him to them.
    "But that alone is not a reason for us to deny compassion to him and his family in his final days."

Mr MacAskill continued: "Our justice system demands that judgement be imposed, but compassion be available.
    "Compassion and mercy are about upholding the beliefs the we seek to live by, remaining true to our values as a people - no matter the severity of the provocation or the atrocity perpetrated.
    "For these reasons and these reasons alone, it is my decision that Mr Mr Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al-Megrahi, convicted in 2001 for the Lockerbie bombing, now terminaly ill with prostate cancer, be released on compassionate grounds and be allowed to return to Libya to die."
    Mr MacAskill had been under intense pressure from the US government to keep Megrahi behind bars, with US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton saying his release would be "absolutely wrong".
    Ross MacDonald, Edinburgh
    Send us your comment

Some 189 Americans were among those who died in the airliner explosion.
    However, the Scottish Government insisted the decision had been reached "on the basis of clear evidence and on no other factors".
    Reacting to the decision, the White House said in a statement: "The United States deeply regrets the decision by the Scottish Executive to release Abdel Basset Mohamed al-Megrahi.
    "As we have expressed repeatedly to officials of the government of the United Kingdom and to Scottish authorities, we continue to believe that Megrahi should serve out his sentence in Scotland.
    "On this day, we extend our deepest sympathies to the families who live every day with the loss of their loved ones. We recognize the effects of such a loss weigh upon a family forever."
    Families of victims of the bombing gave a mixed response after the BBC reported news of his imminent release.

[IMG][IMG] We believe he has only a very short period of time to live [IMG]

Prof Karol Sikora

Victoria Cummock, who lost her husband in the atrocity, said freeing him was "morally incomprehensible".
    She said: "This man is a mass murderer - and if you do a crime you have to pay the time."
    However, Martin Cadman, whose son was killed, said recently that he believed it was the "right thing to do".
    Medical experts have said they believe Megrahi has little time left to live.
    Prof Karol Sikora, who visited him in prison, said the Libyan had an "aggressive" form of prostate cancer which was no longer responding to treatment.
    Appeal dropped
    "We believe he has only a very short period of time to live," he said.
    Megrahi was convicted of murder in January 2001 at a trial held under Scottish law in the Netherlands.
    A first appeal against that verdict was rejected the following year.
    However, in 2007 the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission granted him a second appeal.
    It subsequently emerged he was suffering from terminal cancer but a bid to have him granted bail was refused.
    His second appeal got under way this year but shortly afterwards applications were made for both his transfer to a Libyan jail and release on compassionate grounds.
    Earlier this week the High Court in Edinburgh allowed Megrahi's application to drop his second appeal.
  2. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This is just ridiculous.

I just love how compassionate he was to those people flying home for Christmas.
  3. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,387 Messages
    169 Likes Received

personally i think he was made a scapegoat but the fact is he was found guilty. if he was successful in his appeal, which has conveniantly been dropped, then yes release him but to release him because he is dying is just wrong in my opinion.
  4. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well like you said whether he was or wasn't made a scapegoat...the fact is he was found guilty.

Those people on that plane were without a doubt...innocent.

[IMG]
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,102 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    Scotland just became the new France.
  6. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,387 Messages
    169 Likes Received

yip. it might be the law that prisoners can be released on compassionate grounds but i can't honestly think of any other high profile prisoner who has been released under the same criteria in the 27 years i've been alive so its clearly not something that is done regularly. as far as i'm concerned i don't see why he has been treated any differently, if his appeal overturned his conviction then fair enough release him but until such time he is a convicted mass murderer and should be treated as such.
    the cynic in me can't help but wonder if this has been done to take focus away from the appeal he had pending and the fact that a lot of the evidence used to convict him has since been thrown into doubt.
  7. Hostile

Hostile It Has Been Fun Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,213 Likes Received
    Morons. I don't care how sick he is.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,979 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    Sick enough to bomb and kill people, which to me trumps the prostrate cancer.
  9. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,111 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I flew in flight 3, which was renamed from flight 103 on the 1 year anniversary of the attack. Security was tight and mourners were there, it was kind of chilling flying on that flight but if you ever saw those mourners you would never agree to let this man go free.
  10. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,320 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    These people are idiots. What makes them think there's not a bomb vest waiting for him at home?
  11. xWraithx

xWraithx Benched

3,449 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    utterly ridiculous.

would the Libyan "government" ever release a Scottish terrorist on compassionate grounds? I highly doubt it

as long as we continue to treat compassionless criminals with compassion, this world will continue on its already downward spiral.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received

Seriously.

Lets all just think about this for a second. This is a man who has stated that he has no regard for his own life. A mass murderer who is terminally ill. Why would you set a person who has no hope to live, has no regard for his own life and who is clearly deranged free? What do you think might be on this sychophants mind?

This is beyond stupid.
  13. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I say we beat him to the punch and put a bullet in his head. At least he won't suffer from the cancer.

Hey, I'm a compassionate conservative.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    What I would like is for someone to walk up to him and fill his guts with a nice long knife and twist it a few times, while looking him in the eye and telling him: "This is compassion."
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,341 Messages
    4,666 Likes Received
    Just not you...cause you would have to have a gun to do something like that?

Knives are cool...guns are for wimps.:p:
  16. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,979 Messages
    1,541 Likes Received
    Guns for shows, knives for a pro.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,341 Messages
    4,666 Likes Received
    That's what was great about the military...you could have your gun and bayonet too.
    :laugh1:

Of course the darn turds in Fort Polk took away my personal boot knife and stored it in the Armory.:mad:
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,202 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received

[IMG]

:D
  19. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is a ****ing outrage. When you kill 270 people, you forfeit any claims to mercy or compassion. They and their fellow Eurotrash better not open their mouths about Gitmo after a stunt like this.
  20. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :laugh2: