1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

"lockerbie bomber" freed on compassionate grounds

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by daschoo, Aug 20, 2009.

1. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    don't see the logic behind this at all.
    i also think its very unfortunate that there will now not be an opportunity for the new evidence that was supposedly ready for the appeal to be heard. their were far too many holes in the prosecution case in my opinion and i now doubt we will ever find out what happened.
    as i said earlier i still don't agree with him being released on compasionate grounds. he was found guilty and until such time as the conviction was overturned (and in my opinion it should have been) he should have remained in prison.
  2. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nations which coddle terrorists are in no position to lecture others about "harsh" or "legally dubious" treatment. That's the point.

Well that's a relief. Plenty of Brits/Scots were killed as well, so why some people in the press are trying to turn this into a "US rage" thing is beyond me.
  3. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    the argument could be made that both positions are being "soft on terrorists" so the decision could actualy be argued as being consistant with criticising guentanamo bay.

regarding the U.S. outrage angle its just lazy journalism. in the lead up to this decision i saw american relatives of victims urging mr macaskill to grant him his freedom while scots were demanding he stay in prison. peoples opinions on this are unlikely to be determined by their nationality.
  4. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,954 Messages
    2,186 Likes Received
    Can you make Hagus?

:D
  5. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    haggis?

you don't make it you catch it. its got shorter legs on one side of the body to make it easier for it to run round the mountains.
    [IMG]
  6. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,954 Messages
    2,186 Likes Received
  7. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,411 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Do you mean Haggis?

As for the story, if he is going to die shortly, what difference does it make if he gets out a couple of months early?

Yes I know he was involved in killing 270 people but leaving him in jail for another couple of months will not bring them back. He basically did spend his life in prison.

It is also silly for bbgun to claim that the British are now coddling terrorists because of this decision. The guy was convicted, spent basically the rest of his life in jail.

Would I have released him if I were the judge, probably not but I did not hear all the facts in court, haven't seen the medical reports, don't know what monitoring he will have etc.

It certainly does not make the British coddlers of terrorists.
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    i would have done something a tad different.

late at night when he's sleeping in his cell, put a sleeping gas agent in the room to ensure he stays out.

implant a lojack up his arse.

THEN set him free.
  9. CanadianCowboysFan

15,411 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    I know it is cool to be tough and say you want to kill him and describe how as many here have etc, but would that bring the 270 back?
  10. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    not a matter of bringing the 270 back.

it's about not losing 1 more to this ahole.
  11. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Nope but that sure would feel good.
  12. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The US has never been accused of being "soft on terrorism." Quite the opposite, in fact. Certain political parties or individuals have merited that tag, but not the country. The point is that Scotland released this creature over the direct and sensible objections of a close ally. We'll remember that the next time the bleeding hearts start moaning about a lack of prayer rugs at Guantanamo (aka, Club Med for terrorists).
  13. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,357 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    there are though very real doubts over his guilt. the key piece of evidence that was used to prosecute him was him purchasing the clothing a scrap of which was found two months after the bombing. the man who gave evidence (one year after the event) that he sold that clothing to magrahi gave the wrong date for the sale, was shown a picture of magrahi two days before the identity parade and was paid 2 million dollars by the united states government. the united nations delegate to the trial went on record describing it as a farce. magrahi has always maintained his innocence and until 2 days ago had an appeal in the works.
    i would personally like to see an independant inquiry into the bombing as i don't believe that the truth of the events leading to the bombing have come to light. unfortunately this is not going to happen as lord mandelson has come out and stated that for reasons of national security evidence that is held by an un-named foreign nation will not be made available.
    the article below raises a lot of questions over the legitamicy of the conviction.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8211596.stm

i wasn't saying the U.S. was being accused of being soft on terrorism. the point i was making was that scottish/european objections to guantanamo are not inconsistant with releasing this man on compasionate grounds, whether or not i personally agree with the decision.
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So let me get this straight...
    They release a man responsible for the death of 270 people,but will not allow a radio talk show host set foot in their land.

Insanity?

Absolutely
  15. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The blacklisting of Savage wasn't Scotland's doing, but I get your point.
  16. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,716 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Well, it makes a pretty big difference to those who lost loved ones in that tragedy. Why should he be allowed to die peacefully with his family when he robbed 270 individuals of any chance at life?
    Actually being that he is still alive, no he basically didn't.
    Monitoring..? Are you serious..? What do you think they did..? Put one of those bracelets around his ankle and put him under house arrest..?
    Actually, yeah it kinda does.
  17. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    316 Likes Received
  18. CanadianCowboysFan

15,411 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    problem with the argument that it means the British are coddling terrorists is that logically it could also mean that the US is coddling murderers when it allowed alleged murderer OJ off.

Neither is the case.
  19. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,995 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    A jury found OJ innocent.

A jury did not release that guy.
  20. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    I'm on record as saying I didn't want Kennedy to go out in this fashion...

He doesn't deserve any martyrdom... he is typical Kennedy trash...

He's just trying to secure his legacy... his legacy resides at the bottom of the Poucha Pond...