1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

"lockerbie bomber" freed on compassionate grounds

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by daschoo, Aug 20, 2009.

1. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,358 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    so you find it laughable that i have looked into the facts of the case and come to the conclusion that an innocent man was locked up? i have said several times he should not have been released on compassionate grounds, i don't agree with the decision but it was one that mr macaskill was legally entitled to make. if it had been my decision then his appeal would have been heard. of course my thinking he was innocent is my opinion but it is an opinion based on researching into the evidence that was provided at court, the fact that evidence has been witheld for "reasons of national security" and the political implications of both the original trial and the appeal that .

i hadn't been going to veer away from the decision into the seperate subject of his guilt but these comments prompted me to state that i think he is innocent.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,676 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    Sure you think he is innocent because you are a lib. You want him to be innocent. Therefore he is.
  3. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I bet daschoo watched the live coverage of this scumbag's arrival in Libya as if he was watching a victory parade.
    It felt good to be wrong....but it felt good and that's what matters.
  4. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well why didn't you trot up to the Scottish court and present your air tight case to prove his innocence? I mean obviously you know a lot more than the whole legal system and every international investigator.
  5. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received

It's all about feelings.
    daschoo feels he is innocent,therefore he is innocent.
    Feelings trump facts in daschoo's world.
  6. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,737 Messages
    642 Likes Received
    That scumbag terrorist served roughly 11 days in jail for every person he killed.

That scumbag judge who let him out deserves to rot in hell. What a piece of garbage.
  7. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,358 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    several high profile political and legal figures along with reputed news agencies have stated that if his appeal had been heard he would have been fully exonnerated. i am not alone in my thinking and their was an appeal in process until it was dropped and two days later he was conviently released.

it is also widely accepted that this was a palestinian operation funded by iran as retribution for the shooting down of an iranian airbus but with the politics of the time libya was a better and more conveniant fall guy. remember back to the israel v palestine thread and i was being accused of seeing no wrong on the palestians behalf?
    so no i don't think that megrahi was innocent because "i'm a lib" and "i have feeling" or whatever piss-taking comments you want to make, i think he was innocent because after looking at all the evidence i can find (obviously not including the evidence that britain refuses to make public for reasons of national security) i don't think that they have the right person.
    others don't and thats fair enough you're entitled to your opinion but don't come on here making snide comments if someone doesn't agree with you.
  8. burmafrd

41,676 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    Love how DASCHOO at the very last admits he has not seen all the evidence because some of it is classified but he is SO SURE he was innocent. Just like those others NONE of who ever saw that other evidence. Typical lib.
  9. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    WTH snide comments? I said why don't you provide the proof. I mean something other than a he said she said thing.

Its kinda like saying Bush was behind 9/11 because some think that. It's dumb. And I didn't say anything about you being a lib. I just said to show the proof. But you have none other than "It is widely accepted" crap. Widely accepted by who? Not me and apparently not the scottish government. And as far as his appeal. It was decades later and just before he was gonna die frm cancer they are now appealing? Yep, that makes all the sense in the world.

Face it. The guy is guilty and Scotland made a screw up by releasing him.
  10. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,358 Messages
    94 Likes Received

re-read post 33
  11. burmafrd

41,676 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    Frankly the BBC anymore is about as reliable as MSNBC. So I spit on anything they have to say. And once again there is evidence that you and your whiners have not seen. So too bad if you don't like it.
  12. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,358 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    it wasn't decades later, he hasn't been in jail for decades. snide comments wasn't so much you it was more all the stuff regarding feelings an being a lib.
    regarding the appeal it has been in the system for a number of years, he was initialy denied the right to appeal.
    obviously i don't have facts, rather i have looked into the legitamacy of the sources saying he is innocent and those saying he was guilty and have arrived at a different conclusion to the one you have. and before you start going down the route of well he was found guilty, so were the birmingham four and guildford five during the troubles in northern ireland and they have since been released after it emerged that the police had fabricated evidence in order to convict terrorists.

as i've said from the beginning of the thread i disagree with the reasoning behind his release and hope that an independant enquiry is carried out as the families of those killed and megrahi himself if he is as i believe innocent deserve the truth to be known over who carried out this attack. i will not be holding my breath for this to happen as the british government when they confirmed they will refuse to release the evidence they have concerning national security have basically stated that will not co-operate with any such enquiry.

edit: apologies for making the snide comments remark in a post quoting you, as i say that part of the post wasn't directed at you and i should have made that clearer.
  13. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,358 Messages
    94 Likes Received

surely the state is not witholding evidence that would enhance their position? or do we just go down the route of that source isn't right wing enough so its not credible? and neither of us have seen all the evidence therefor we just assume that burm is right?
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You are right. It just seems that way.

At the end of the day, we have the evidence that we have. He was found guity and generally, most (I didn't say all) people think he is guilty. Releasing him was wrong. Further, if I remember correctly, he was in league with some terrorists prior to this, so even if he didn't plant the bomb, he surely is dirty.
  15. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As many suspected, this was all about blood money, not "compassion."

Lockerbie bomber 'set free for oil'

Jason Allardyce
    The Times online

The British government decided it was “in the overwhelming interests of the United Kingdom” to make Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi, the Lockerbie bomber, eligible for return to Libya, leaked ministerial letters reveal.

Gordon Brown’s government made the decision after discussions between Libya and BP over a multi-million-pound oil exploration deal had hit difficulties. These were resolved soon afterwards.

The letters were sent two years ago by Jack Straw, the justice secretary, to Kenny MacAskill, his counterpart in Scotland, who has been widely criticised for taking the formal decision to permit Megrahi’s release.

The correspondence makes it plain that the key decision to include Megrahi in a deal with Libya to allow prisoners to return home was, in fact, taken in London for British national interests.

Edward Davey, the Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman, said: “This is the strongest evidence yet that the British government has been involved for a long time in talks over al-Megrahi in which commercial considerations have been central to their thinking.”

Two letters dated five months apart show that Straw initially intended to exclude Megrahi from a prisoner transfer agreement with Colonel Muammar Gadaffi, under which British and Libyan prisoners could serve out their sentences in their home country.

In a letter dated July 26, 2007, Straw said he favoured an option to leave out Megrahi by stipulating that any prisoners convicted before a specified date would not be considered for transfer.

Downing Street had also said Megrahi would not be included under the agreement.

Straw then switched his position as Libya used its deal with BP as a bargaining chip to insist the Lockerbie bomber was included.

The exploration deal for oil and gas, potentially worth up to £15 billion, was announced in May 2007. Six months later the agreement was still waiting to be ratified.

On December 19, 2007, Straw wrote to MacAskill announcing that the UK government was abandoning its attempt to exclude Megrahi from the prisoner transfer agreement, citing the national interest.

In a letter leaked by a Whitehall source, he wrote: “I had previously accepted the importance of the al-Megrahi issue to Scotland and said I would try to get an exclusion for him on the face of the agreement. I have not been able to secure an explicit exclusion.

“The wider negotiations with the Libyans are reaching a critical stage and, in view of the overwhelming interests for the United Kingdom, I have agreed that in this instance the [prisoner transfer agreement] should be in the standard form and not mention any individual.”

Within six weeks of the government climbdown, Libya had ratified the BP deal. The prisoner transfer agreement was finalised in May this year, leading to Libya formally applying for Megrahi to be transferred to its custody.

Saif Gadaffi, the colonel’s son, has insisted that negotiation over the release of Megrahi was linked with the BP oil deal: “The fight to get the [transfer] agreement lasted a long time and was very political, but I want to make clear that we didn’t mention Mr Megrahi.

“At all times we talked about the [prisoner transfer agreement]. It was obvious we were talking about him. We all knew that was what we were talking about.

“People should not get angry because we were talking about commerce or oil. We signed an oil deal at the same time. The commerce and oil deals were all with the [prisoner transfer agreement].”

His account is confirmed by other sources. Sir Richard Dalton, a former British ambassador to Libya and a board member of the Libyan British Business Council, said: “Nobody doubted Libya wanted BP and BP was confident its commitment would go through. But the timing of the final authority to spend real money was dependent on politics.”

Bob Monetti of New Jersey, whose son Rick was among the victims of the 1988 bombing, said: “It’s always been about business.”

BP denied that political factors were involved in the deal’s ratification or that it had stalled during negotiations over the prisoner transfer talks.

A Ministry of Justice spokesman denied there had been a U-turn, but said trade considerations had been a factor in negotiating the prisoner exchange deal. He said Straw had unsuccessfully tried to accommodate the wish of the Scottish government to exclude Megrahi from agreement.

The spokesman claimed the deal was ultimately “academic” because Megrahi had been released on compassionate grounds: “The negotiations on the [transfer agreement] were part of wider negotiations aimed at the normalisation of relations with Libya, which included a range of areas, including trade.

“The exclusion or inclusion of Megrahi would not serve any practical purpose because the Scottish executive always had a veto on whether to transfer him.”

A spokesman for Lord Mandelson said he had not changed his position that the release of Megrahi was not linked to trade deals.
  16. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
  17. burmafrd

41,676 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    A deal was made. Simple as that.

I know this is a strange concept Daschool but just maybe that evidence not released might compromise intelligence sources. I know you don't care but others do.
  18. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,431 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    gee haven't heard about wars for oil, deals for oil, terrorists for oil before.
  19. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For years, the unhinged Left have been screaming about "blood for oil." Well, they finally got a big dose of it.
  20. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,431 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    BB, do you see leftists under your bed?