1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

R2A Mock 1 (Rounds 1-5)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,825 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    As usual with my first mock I will leave out round 6 and 7.

In free agency I have us losing Robinson, keeping Fiammetta and Spencer. Picking up LaRon Landry and Lardarius Webb. I would like to see us make a run at Carl Nicks but I wont bank on it and it doesn't effect our draft strategy either way.

#14 David DeCastro, OG, Stanford, 6'5", 315 - This pick is pretty obvious to me. Fits a need with a good player, and with the success of the Tyron pick I don't expect Jerry to hesitate taking another o-linemen in round one.

#45 Janoris Jenkins, CB, UNA, 5'10", 183 - Yeah it is risky but if it pays off our CB situation is solved (plus I would find it funny to see Jenkins and Jenkins as our starting CB's) and with us losing Newman we don't have much of a choice but to bring someone in during round one or two.

#82 Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin, 6'2", 220 - His father is 3 time all-pro AL Toon. Last year the guy I was obsessed with was Roy Helu, that has turned out pretty good for our rivals. Nick Toon is someone with no character concerns and that is huge for me when looking at a WR. He is solid all around with a great ability to just get space, he's also a good blocker. People criticize his speed but at 4.52 he isn't exactly slow. If we lose Laurent or not I want Nick Toon, he is a great depth player that could step up as a starter in situations where he is needed and with no character issues I would like to see him added to the locker room. This is a must make pick if he is available in round 3.

#113 Nick Foles, QB, Arizona, 6'5", 240. For this one i'll just quote Hostiles most recent mock "No idea why he dropped on so many Draft boards but I will take him in the 4th with no hesitation at all. In fact, if taken in the 2nd I won't be shocked. Is a natural leader with good accuracy. Will have to work on taking snaps under center, but that is easy."

#144 Tank Carder, LB, TCU, 6'2", 247 He is a team leader with a strong attitude and for that alone he is worth a shot in the 5th round. Rose Bowl MVP. He always seems to be at the right place at the right time, I like that in a LB.
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,258 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    Jenkins in the 2nd is too good to be true...good mock kid
  3. Cowboy Brian

11,825 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    I would trade up a bit to get him if we were in striking distance, giving up our 6th. With his character issues I don't see him going in the first, and most likely not much before our pick. We should be in striking distance.
  4. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,668 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    I'd hate to lose Robinson. It's a deep WR FA class, and a pretty deep draft for WR's, so I think we stand a good chance to keep him. If we lose him, then Toon would be a good pick in the 3rd, though I would prefer Joe Adams, especially considering his return ability.

Webb is an RFA, who will most likely cost a first round pick to get. Landry has been on IR two straight years with a chronic achilles injury that needs surgery, but he won't get it. I'd rather see us pick up Brandon Carr and Tyvon Branch.

Good mock draft, though I have trouble seeing Jenkins lasting until the mid 2nd. I know he has baggage, but some team will get past that if his talent and numbers are strong enough.
  5. Cowboy Brian

11,825 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    Problem with Robinson is that he showed enough last year to let a team think he may be a #1, heck maybe he'll land with the Patriots. He won't be looking for a contract that is out of this world, but around 5m a season will probably be enough to keep us out of the resigning market.

I didn't know Webb was a RFA. Scratch that then. Landry is a talented enough player that I would take a shot at signing and I addressed Jenkins in my last post.

Toon vs Adams is a fair argument, but I think Toon offers more as a WR.
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,258 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    I think he'll go in the 1st for sure..I wouldn't be surprised if we took him at 14.. However, w his character issues, early second is possible. I'd love to get him and Decastro!
  7. Cowboy Brian

11,825 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    Thats' my hope! Wouldn't take much to move from 14 in the 2nd to the early 2nd to grab him.
  8. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I like everything but Toon in the 3rd. Even if we can't get Jenkins in the 2nd I still think there is going to be a good CB for us there to grab.
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,996 Messages
    2,391 Likes Received
    Good mock but even if we lose Robinson there's no way we take a WR in round 3.
  10. Cowboy Brian

11,825 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    Same thing would've been said about taking a RB last year.
  11. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I like it buddy, all except Foles and Jenkins, weary of his drug problems-dont see jason garrett taking him due to drugs, and QB Foles, I am leary of him. Wished we could go after the QB from Arizona State, but he will go probably in 3rd, to high for us probably. :starspin
  12. Cowboy Brian

11,825 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    Jenkins has a ton of talent. He has some problems yes but if he overcomes them he is a top 10 CB. In the 2nd it is worth it.
  13. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    True, but his drug issues are a big concern. You have to hit on your top 3 draft picks each year or you suffer. Example, 2009, none on team but mostly due to trading down and picks away for roy williams. Bennett a 2nd rounder, hasnt lived up to a 2nd round pick, you cant or shouldnt pick due to talent, you have to take guys that produce on field and arent knuckleheads.
  14. Cowboy Brian

11,825 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    I think a better way to look at is you need to hit on 2 of your top 4 picks, and anything in the later rounds is just sweetner.

For example: Dez Bryant and Sean Lee. 2010. Will anyone say this was a bad class? I wouldn't, it was good, but we only brought in 2 starters and a backup in Lissemore.

Another example: Tyron Smith, Dan Bailey, Bruce Carter and DeMarco Murray. Murray, Bailey and Smith are hits, Carter the jury is still out on. It is a good class, and if Carter becomes a player it is a great class.
  15. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,996 Messages
    2,391 Likes Received
    Not after cutting Barber. But I think we actually went into the draft with Barber still on the roster due to the lockout, if I'm not mistaken.

I think we'd give Holley and Harris the opportunity to step up before drafting another guy, especially in a draft this deep at the CB position given our secondary woes, and given all of the other offensive playmakers that could compensate in other ways for one guy being gone between Witten, Dez, Miles, Murray, and Felix.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,106 Messages
    1,002 Likes Received
    Sorry but IMO this is an abysmal effort.

1) Jenkins is not going to drop to 45. Most mocks have him to us in R1 at 14. Putting him down to 45 is just silly.
    2) Toon is considered a 2/3 prospect. Mid round 3 is a stretch but also a stretch at a position we are unlikely to target. RULE1 of mock drafts, ignore your pet cats unless they fit team needs at team slots. (Kids of former players are intriguing but also can have limited upside. They have generally had the best coaching and support since youth football provided the Dad was in the picture.)
    3) Foles makes zero sense. We have a young QB and we will look at another short-term FA QB. We would have to be really high on Foles because if he sticks we pretty much have to cut McGee. Quoting Hostile on Zona kids is like asking him to rate his own children.
    4) Tank Carder is slow but at least he's small. He was a great fit in a 4-2-5 defense but a 3-4 is totally different. His best fit on our team would be as a back up to Sean Lee. I don't see that as a job anyone wants the next 5 years.
  17. Cowboy Brian

11,825 Messages
    277 Likes Received

Sean Lee isn't a tank. He has had injury problems, Tank Carder is a good pick.

Stephen McGee is not the QB of the future. Romo will be 33, it is time to give someone else a shot at being the QB of the Future.

Everything I have read has people rising over Toon, he should be within a few picks of us in the 3rd.

Jenkins will fall into round 2 unless he blows up at the combine, he has too many questions. Look at Dez he fell to 24, and there were alot less questions about him than there are Jenkins. Early round 2.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,444 Messages
    2,305 Likes Received
    That made me laugh-out-loud!

I love Foles completion percentage.

But his YPA isn't that high, which would indicate a lot of check-down passes.

His TD/INT percentage bothers me.

And finally, I have trees in my yard that show more mobility.

To me Foles is the "anti-Romo".
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,106 Messages
    1,002 Likes Received
    Carder is not a good pick. He is simply too slow and small to be a solid prospect. He should be a good special teamer but he reminds me mostly of Stephen Hodge. A lot more size and speed at the next level.

I have seen at least 50 mocks and Jenkins is r1 in every single one of them. He lit up the Senior Bowl as the best cover guy there by a mile. He is going r1. His off-field stuff does drop him but that's from a top 10 pick to possibly 20-25. He isn't dropping to 45.

McGee hasn't proven he isn't the guy just that he isn't the guy yet. He played in a crappy TAMU offense and we knew he was a project when drafted. Foles is a gamble we do not need to make. Regardless of what either of us think of him the team will keep him and give him another pre-season audition.

Toon is seen as a late 2 early 3 WR right now. Depending on the combine he could rise or fall like anyone else but the NFL believes in nepotism and he'll likely be over-drafted by at least 10 picks.

My humble advice here would be to pick a site to use as a source for player values. There are a handful out there with rankings.
  20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,817 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    Not a bad mock. I'm really leary of the Jenkins kid but it's a pretty solid effort from you.