1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Raiders DE Desmond Bryant would be a good 3-4 DE

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Nov 14, 2012.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    I have watched a few Raider games and this guy stood out alittle watching the dline. I looked him up and seen where he wipl be a free agent.

I think he would be a good 3-4 DE, 26 year old, 6-6 310 pounds and a very smart person and is a Garrett type of guy.

Don't go look up his stats, they do not show what he actually does on the field.
  2. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,820 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    In a 3-4, stats for a defensive lineman can be very misleading because the sole function of a defensive lineman in the 34 is to soak up blocks so the linebackers can make plays. Therefore, if the linebackers that traditionally lineup behind said defensive lineman have a bunch of stops for loss or within 3 yards of the scrimmage, that is a pretty good sign the defensive lineman at the very least is doing his job.

This is likely why Chris Canty got the pay day he did from the Giants. If my memory serves correctly, this was the offseason following a year where Demarcus Ware logged the most sacks in his career.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,393 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    Why would the train wreck Raiders give up on a young cheap guy that can play?
  4. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,065 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    how many sacks does JJ Watt have to get before people stop saying this?
  5. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,594 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    He's an anomaly, exception to the rule. He's the only one out of the 30-40 3-4 DE's in the league that put up numbers.
  6. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,820 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    Really? Last I checked only 1 team has a JJ Watt. He's an exception to the rule. For the most part, in the 34, DL's primary focus is to soak up blocks. However, if you are athletic enough to create your own plays, so be it.
  7. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The truth is, is depends on whose 3-4 defense it is. They are not all the same, and it is not true that every single 3-4 DE's only responsibility is to soak up blocks. A great majority - yes this is true. But it is not some steadfast rule.

Do you think Bruce Smith was only supposed to tie up blockers?
  8. MrMom

MrMom Well-Known Member

1,574 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    This is a move that I would love to see. In 2011 he had 5 sacks in only 10 starts and I believe PFF had him rated as a top 20 run defender. Would be a solid add for our rotation next year along with Crawford, Lissemore, hopefully Bass sticks and another draft pick.

Finally get some athleticism from our ends.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,799 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    Not every 34 is the same. Some schemes do utilize DEs as pass rush assets.
  10. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,820 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    Regardless of scheme, a good coach conforms his defense around his personnel. I understand that completely. My addition to this thread was in response to the following:

Don't go look up his stats, they do not show what he actually does on the field.
  11. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,116 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    ngata, seymour, justin smith...

just some examples of DEs in 3-4s that actually get pressure... just because this team doesnt have a DE that gets pressure doesnt mean they were never meant to. Passing down or not, they are supposed to beat the guy in front of them, not act just as a blob for possible runs in their gaps

weve had a parcells 3-4, wade phillips 3-4, and now a ryan 3-4; and it seems we have yet to find a pressure DE
  12. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,674 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    He'd be good but later we can talk about that
  13. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,553 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    We already have a Des Bryant!

We don't need another one/:laugh2:
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,733 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    This. Plus, its not like 4-3 DT dont get sacks either, which is what a 3-4 End is most like. Many 3-4's are really just a 4-3 with one End standing up, so you end up with two DTs and a DE plus a rush LB/DE. Thats pretty much what Ryan runs..an under 4-3 with Ware standing/moving around. Rat is the penetrator.
  15. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,492 Messages
    834 Likes Received

Ngata and Seymour have one more sack than Jason Hatcher and Jason Hatcher has 2 more sacks than Justin Smith.
  16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,597 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    I am sure you understand what these posters are referring to when they speak about playmaking 3-4 DEs. Seymour, Trevor Price and Shaun Ellis were the best of their era but have been bypassed by Justin Smith, Haloti Ngata, Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell. Each of these guys have had double digit sack seasons from the 3-4 DE spot.

Watt is not the first 3-4 DE to do what he has done. In addition to the guys above, Bruce Smith, Neil Smith, Elvin Bethea, Howie Long, Leslie O'Neal, Ray Childress, Lee Williams, Rulon Jones, Leonard Marshall, Lyle Alzado, William Fuller, Greg Townsend, Sean Jones all came before Watt.

Watt is special, no doubt, but he is not unique.
  17. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,695 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    Could've added Ratliff to the pressure DE in 3-4 if we'd have left him at the position.......

but that is rueing .......
  18. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,116 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Hatcher has 1.5 sacks on the year.

We not talking just sack numbers, were talking pressure DEs in passing situations. Im sorry but Hatcher does not have the same impact on the pocket as Smith, Ngata, and Seymour... and you know that...

If someone dangled Ngata and Hatcher in your face and you picked Hatcher... (smh)
  19. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    This might have been true 15-20 years ago. It's rarely true for any form of 34 or 52 that is played today. Why do we keep saying this?
  20. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,065 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    he's better than the other 3-4 DEs, but the notion that 3-4 DE's only job is to occupy blockers is false. There are other guys that put up good sack numbers.