1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Raiders DE Desmond Bryant would be a good 3-4 DE

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    This. Our own Jason Hatcher had - count 'em - 4.5 sacks last year. What does that tell you?
  2. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,820 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Smith and Seymour are towards the end of their careers, but in their prime as 3-4 ends, they put up between 6-8 sacks routinely.

Haloti Ngata is more of a NT. He plays DE because Baltimore has had other good NTs to pair with him (kelly gregg/terrence cody/Ma'ake Kemoeatu) and he has the athleticism to collapse a pocket, but his game resembles a NT more than a DE.
  3. Manwiththeplan

4,820 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Which would've been great if the guy opposite him was 6+
  4. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,488 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    Seriously? I'm not even going to argue with you. Not worth my time.
  5. Manwiththeplan

4,820 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    You can go back and look at the stats, most teams that run a 3-4 have atleast 1 DE who puts up sack numbers that make the whole "only there to occupy blockers" argument laughable.
  6. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,513 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    He's the exception, not the rule.
  7. Manwiththeplan

4,820 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    What about the 8 calias campbell put up last year? Just a fluke? What about the 7.5 that Justin Smith put up last year? Something in the water?

While JJ Watt is out producing even the best 3-4 DEs, it's laughable for anyone to say the sole responsibility of a 3-4 DE is to occupy blockers.
  8. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,488 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    You are missing the point of my initial post.
  9. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,041 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Your initial post said that 3-4 defensive stats are misleading because the DL in a 3-4's SOLE function is to occupy blockers. This is false.

The DL's role in a 3-4 depends on the type of 3-4 that is used. This statement may be true for the Fairbanks 3-4, but this system is practically obsolete today. And even in its heyday with the NYG, Leonard Marshall was racking up the sacks from that position. He had THREE double digit sack seasons (15.5 was his most) and THREE more seasons of 8+ sacks.
  10. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    The problem with the OP is even more fundamental. Watch Hatcher's assignment on any given drive on All-22. Freeze before every play and just look.

Any game that I've charted has Hatcher lining up at several different techniques with vastly variable assignments. The idea that there is a prototype role for 34 defensive ends that has anything to do with soaking up blocks on every play is extremely outdated.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,447 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    I believe it all depends on the type of 3-4 you're running. I'm not expert on the subject, as I've never coached it in any fashion, but it seems to me that they're all different in their styles and approach.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,890 Messages
    2,796 Likes Received
    Good post and good "scouting".

I pulled up the Season Pass (All-22) and reviewed him in the last 2 games.

He is the primary backup/rotational DT for the Raiders. The starters are 2 big money guys, Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly.

The Raiders play primarily a 4-3 front, but do run some variations on occasion.

Bryant got the start against the Ravens with Seymour out. He played primarily as the RDT, but he did move around on a few plays.

I was impressed with Bryant. He is very good at shooting the gaps as a pass rusher and appears to be strong against the run.

His build (6-6 ,310) would be a perfect fit as a 3-4 DE. If he was on the Cowboys roster this year, I think he would be their best DE.

I have no idea what it would cost to sign him. If the Raiders keep Tommy Kelly, then I would expect Bryant to look for a starting job on another team.