1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rams to lowball Atogwe

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Mar 4, 2010.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,215 Messages
    606 Likes Received
    The Rams are reportedly "seriously considering" placing the lowest possible tender on restricted free agent FS O.J. Atogwe.
    The tender is called "right of first refusal," and would allow St. Louis to match any offer sheet Atogwe receives, but give the team no draft pick in return. The designation would also cost the Rams $5.75 million less than giving Atogwe a typically mandated 10-percent raise on his 2009 salary ($6.976 million). It could also create a lot of bad blood between the team and player. Mar. 4 - 12:12 am et

rotoworld.com

solid FS without draft pick compensation? I would be interested
  2. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,453 Messages
    2,797 Likes Received
    I wondered when someone with high picks was going to do this. Makes sense in an uncapped year esp with that high pick every round.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Atogwe would be awesome....I really like the player, ever since the draft a few years back. Unlike Hamlin, he actually makes plays....
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    definitely makes it interesting.

i'm really curious what our coaching staff, specifically Wade, thinks of Hamlin. i think that's the key question. if they think that he's "good enough", we'll just look at the draft for potential improvement - or M Hamlin.

on the other hand, if they think he's holding back progress, maybe the staff tries for a significant upgrade, if possible.

IMO, I think Wade thinks Hamlin is doing fairly well . . . . . just a guess on my part.
  5. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    It would depend on how big of a contract he wants. The salary cap will be back and we don't want to have to gut the team to get back under it.
  6. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,589 Messages
    574 Likes Received

This is the very thing that I'm afraid some people are not thinking about. Seems like so many are so focused on the fact that this particular year there is going to be no cap so "GO WILD" with no thought, or consideration, to the fact that at some point there will be a cap back and if you just go nuts and all that junk then next year you're cutting a bunch of people to try and get back under the cap.

Thankfully the Cowboys have Stephen who seems to really know his stuff when it comes to that cap situation.
  7. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    On the nosey
  8. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,790 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    I think this is a money driven move. they are going to see what the market is going to offer him and then match it if its a good deal. otherwise any other tender, wouldn't they have to offer him 110% of his last year salary? I am not sure.

btw, I think this drops Rolle's value in the market a little bit. if Rolle was the only big name saftey then he could make high demands, but OJ is a good saftey as well and has somewhat better stats than Rolle.
  9. Gzus

Gzus Romosexual

1,257 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Would love to see him on our team, the guy is always tops when it comes to tackles at the safety position and he can play the ball better than Hamlin. If we can't get Rolle and this guy won't cost us a high pick then I'd go for it.