1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Random Combine chatter....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Feb 22, 2013.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,726 Messages
    1,823 Likes Received
    I dont think Dallas will have a chance to draft these OL players unless they trade up

Joeckel
    Fisher
    Johnson
    Warmack
    Cooper

These players are the next ones

Fluker
    Warford
    Long

In that order.
  2. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    And the influence of the Underwear Olympics has begun.

Cooper will probably be there. We already knew the top 3 tackles would not be there. Warmack is the only one that has solidified himself as being a top 15 pick (likely top 10).

Fluker, Warford, and Long will all be there at 18.
  3. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,761 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I am very serious. Armstead is my # tackle.....but that is because I based my rankings on where I think we go in the draft. I do not believe we will go OT in the first two rounds.....so that being said, from the 3-7, I feel Armstead is the best available OT. I feel in the first 2 rounds we will go OG, DL, or S. BTW, if we were to go OT in the 1st round, Lane Johnson would be my #1 guy.
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,726 Messages
    1,823 Likes Received
    I dont think Cooper will be there either. The first half of the draft, most of these teams need OL, and DL.
  5. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,761 Messages
    126 Likes Received

there are teams that need QBs and Secondary too, but the QBs in this draft do not really stand out as of right now. The Secondary has a few big time prospects but not many.

This draft is definitely OL and DL rich.
  6. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

LM....very good post but I DO think Johnson will be there at 18, I could be wrong but to have 3 tackles and 2 guards go in the top 17 would be...unusual. NOT saying impossible but I would think Johnson would be the one still there at 18: snatch him up and have him and SMith as our tackles for the next 10 years. (btw: that's what I would do; I fully realize this front office still dreams that Parnell and Free can handle RT for one more year....it's delusional, but I think that's what they think)

...Let's say you ARE right and Fluker, Warford and Long are there at 18 that will be interesting. We are fixated on the oline today but the Dtackles will figure into the board at that point obviously. I really like Long after seeing him today: so darn athletic and he has the Long mean streak per the boys on the NFL Network. I would say a trade down from 18 into low 20's to snag him and pick up an extra pick wouldn't be a bad idea at all: remember, this kid can play Guard OR Tackle...super intriguing combo to have. HOWEVER, this team can't be trusted to trade down: some VERY bad things have happened over the years when they've done that.
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Ok... answer this. Having nothing to do with draft position... who would you rather have: Fisher or Armstead?

Guards always drop, and QB's always rise. At least 1 or 2 QBs will squeeze into the top 17.

Johnson will NOT be there at 18. Cooper probably will.
  8. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,761 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I havent seen Fisher play, though I read the Sr Bowl reports of how well he did. I did see Armstead play, and he was a freak of an athletic speciman. So based on what I have seen first hand, I take Armstead.

Also, just because a player is ranked high, doesnt mean you or I have to prefer him or have him ranked that high. Just look at the safety position. I think Reid is extremely overrated. I wouldnt spend anything higher than a 4th on him, however he is listed as a 1-2 round grade right now.
  9. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,726 Messages
    1,823 Likes Received
    True

but 5 OL are probably at the top of alot of Teams Draft boards. Im willing to bet on most top 10 in their draft boards

And these DL are most likely gone
    Star
    Moore
    Werner
    Floyd
    Richardson
    Jordan

Milliner
    Vaccarro
    Geno
    Patterson

Fluker, i think Dallas would draft at 18. Warford i think Dallas could trade down to the bottom of RD1 or top of RD2 and get him. And Long i think will be there right about where Dallas would draft in RD2.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,418 Messages
    4,963 Likes Received
    I believe that if Parnell was tested at the combine this week he would be the star of the show. There is no way to know, but I'm basing it on spending significant time watching him on the All-22 and comparing him to Tyron Smith. His quickness/agility and upper body strength is very similar to Tyron's, IMO. Also, one of the media guys (I think it was Mickey or Broaddus) said back in training camp that Parnell had similar and possibly longer arms than Tyron (36-3/8) and similar hands (11").
  11. 1LoyalCowboyFan

1LoyalCowboyFan Active Member Zone Supporter

633 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Something HAS to give. It figures that Warmack is top ten and Cooper just with in reach in the teens. If this happens who falls? I hope maybe a great DT. We need skill players to really shine tomorrow. I would still prefer Cooper but Fluker looked phenomenal.
  12. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,726 Messages
    1,823 Likes Received
    They spoke about Parnell the other day. And i think it was Mickey asking if they thought Parnell was the answer at Rt. And they all just gave that look and laugh people give when they just asked something stupid. So i dont think they think much of him.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,418 Messages
    4,963 Likes Received
    From Garrett's press conference at the combine:

With the possibility Doug Free could be released to save $7 million on this year’s cap, Garrett stressed how impressed the Cowboys were with Jermey Parnell’s progression and how he handled rotating with Free late last season. Garrett did add Free also played better when he was splitting time but overall, the head coach seemed rather comfortable with Parnell’s ability to win the starting job.

"And they all just gave that look and laugh people give when they just asked something stupid."

Who is "they" ? A scout that got fired and has openly admitted that he can't get another scouting job or some know-nothing DC.com writers and interns?
  14. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,726 Messages
    1,823 Likes Received
    Well considering the player he's going up against in Free. Its not hard to win that job.:rolleyes:
  15. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Everyone has to remember how green Parnell is. This guy hardly played college football so he has had a huge learning curve in the switch from basketball to football. He also had a huge road to go to increase his strength to play OT in the NFL.

He is now just going into his 4th season and if you count 1 season as an effective redshirt because of inexperience, this is really like his 3rd season which is when most OL start to emerge. The fact that he went out there and played reasonably well last year bodes well for his future. IMO, there is a reason they signed him to that deal last year and the FO clearly thinks he has a future here. With Free about to hit the streets, I think they are okay with Parnell taking the job.

I really think the best use of a high round pick at OL is better spent on the interior than OT. However, I wouldn't mind taking an OT early who could also project to OG if he lost the battle with Parnell.
  16. newlander

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....and THAT exact description fits Kyle Long to a 'T' does it not? Fluker too, correct?
  17. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,957 Messages
    524 Likes Received
    I like Parnell's upside, hope they give him the opportunity to start next year, cut Free and bring in someone like Svitek to provide competition and depth.
  18. newlander

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....because we have SO many other needs...I can absolutely live with it.

.....anyone know how much cutting Free saves us in cap space? TIA

....BTW: Manti 'catfish' T'eo is in front of the media now. What a fraud.:rolleyes:
  19. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,726 Messages
    1,823 Likes Received
    If they Like parnell, then still draft Fluker and plug this big boy in at LG and go with a very physical group of guys
  20. newlander

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...none whatsoever my friend: BUT what about Kyle Long? I know Fluker was the better COLLEGE player but Long has impressed today. He's quite a bit more athletic than Fluker but certainly not as physical. He probably doesn't grade out at 18, but what about trading down to get him? I think it's plausible but as I said earlier....this team doesn't trade down well at all: usually blows up in their face. (think Unger)