1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Randy Moss thinks he's the best receiver of all time

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Boys122, Jan 30, 2013.

1. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We must first define the word "best".

If by best we meam most talented, then he's amonng the best.

If by best we mean achieving their potential, or enablig the larger goal of teamwise winning, then he's among the worst.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,616 Messages
    1,426 Likes Received
    Rice > Moss.
  3. Mountaineerfan

Mountaineerfan Member

127 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    randy moss is greatest talent of any wr of all time hands down. But he's a turd that had little help from his QB's until brady.
  4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,278 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    I would still take Rice in his prime for 1 single season or even 1 single game over Moss.
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,278 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    What do you mean by talent? The definition of talent can vary quite a bit. If you are talking about the combination of purely physical traits such as size, speed, strength and power I think Calvin Johnson could be considered the greatest. The guy is a physical beast and Moss looks small next to him. Of course there are a lot of factors that go into playing wide receiver.
  6. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

757 Messages
    87 Likes Received
    Absolutely agree
  7. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,864 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I think Rice is the GOAT, but if Moss played with Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia and Rich Gannon for his career, while Rice played with Randall Cunningham (35 or so), Jeff George (late in his career), Daunte Cullpepper (horribly over rated), Kerry Collins, Tom Brady (2 years I think) and Matt Cassell, I could see Moss having better career numbers. Probably not as good as Rice's numbers now, but better in my unpovable hypothetical situation :)
  8. Manwiththeplan

4,864 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    It's really neither a or b. the best should be what they accomplished. IMO, Shaq didn't reach his potential as a basketball player, but was still one of the best centers of all time.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,866 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    I think I saw on the scrollbar that he's gonna play next year and he's going to be a Free Agent after this season.
  10. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,542 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Isn't that something someone else should say about you? Not about yourself. Egomaniac. :laugh2:
  11. Tricked

Tricked Fascinated

660 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I did not have the privilege of watching Jerry Rice through his prime, only towards his later years (when he was with Oakland, Seattle).... Randy Moss in his prime was a beast... maybe my opinion is biased because the main games I watched him in were against the cowboys, and he was unreal against us. I would say he could challenge Rice to be the best, but look at the teams they were on. Quarterbacks alone, Jerry Rice had Joe Montana and Steve Young.. When Moss had a good quarterback (no, I don't think Daunte Culpepper was a good quarterback), he was on a team that put up points like no other, and went 18-1 only to lose in the superbowl with the patriots....

Stats are a foolish thing to base status on... and Rice's argument was to compare the stats.... Moss' argument is to compare impact on the game... Moss was a selfish player in his earlier years and wouldn't run a route if he knew the ball wasn't going his way, and was a poor run blocker... but as a straight up receiver, Moss demanded double, triple coverage sometimes, and even if the ball was near him he'd catch it.
  12. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

955 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Moss wouldn't have been as productive as Rice with the Niners because Moss has never been as willing to run the routes Rice ran in that offense, if it wasn't a go or out route Moss didnt give 100%. Also, corners were allowed to be more aggressive when Rice played, and that would also affect Moss' numbers as well.
  13. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,675 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    while Moss isnt the best WR of all time, you can make a pretty good argument that he is probably 2nd or 3rd best ever, its between him an TO.
  14. Manwiththeplan

4,864 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    Moss > TO

and it's not close. I've just never seen a WR make so many QBs look good. Randall Cunningham was an after thought, discarded by Philly, yet was an MVP candidate throwing to Randy Moss. Jeff George was in a similar situation, one foot out of the league and he makes a pro-bowl with Moss. Duante Cullpepper started his career with Moss, and certainly wasn't the same player w/o him. He didn't make Kerry Collins any better (Oakland so blame Davis), but even Brady's best season came with Moss.

TO on the other hand, consistently had good QBs. Garcia, McNabb, Bledsoe, Romo, Palmer. The only guy not in his prime was Bledsoe.
  15. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,832 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    [youtube]ftmVLvQyZAs&sns=em[/youtube]

Just incredible. He would attend special teams meetings and practice.

If you want to talk about impact, show many anything near this for Randy Moss.

TO trains insanely hard to, I bet he learned from Rice.
  16. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,046 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Randy Moss is easily top 5, maybe even top 3, but he'll never be greater than what is Jerry Rice.
  17. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,641 Messages
    137 Likes Received
    Jerry is the only receiver I'd put ahead of Moss, and that's only after viewing both of their Careers as a whole.

Moss wasted away many of his years in the league. Put Moss on the same teams with the same QB's instead of Rice.. I think you'd be crazy to think he wouldn't be MUCH closer to rices numbers. I'd even go so far as to say he'd have more TD's, though less receptions/yards than rice.

The #1 and #2 single season scoring records by a team have Randy Moss in common for a reason. The guy was a freak of nature.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,616 Messages
    1,426 Likes Received
    Randy Moss on his best day may have an argument. But those who watched Jerry Rice play his entire career know that on thewhole, there is really no argument here. That is taking nothing away from Randy - Jerry was just that good.
  19. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

955 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    So you can actually see Moss running the majority of his routes as slants and post routes in the Niners WCO? I don't. His unwillingness to run 100% on routes that aren't a go route or an out route tell a different story.

Moss wasn't the type of receiver Rice was. More dynamic on deep routes for sure, but less likely to take a 12 yd completion to the house. He just wasn't effective in-between the hash marks, and that would've affected his numbers regardless of having Montana and Young throwing to him.
  20. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's one downside to Randy Moss, he takes plays off. Jerry Rice never did.