1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Randy Moss thinks he's the best receiver of all time

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Boys122, Jan 30, 2013.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    I would too.

However, Rice beats him if the discussion is best overall for their career...imo.
  2. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was about to make a similar point. Rice was great after the catch and ctaching over the middle. Moss is known primarily as a deep-threat who stretches the field.

I'll tell you what though. I loved it when Kevin Smith got in Jerry Rice's head. He use to lock him down and if it weren't for the fact that they moved Rice all over the place, where guys like Brown would cover him... I think Kevin Smith would have gone down as one of the greatest CBs to ever play the game if not for that achilles tear. I also remember him being targetted by the refs after he came back from injury for plenty of BS PI calls.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,424 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Uh...

Receptions - 9th
    YPC - 15.6 (Rice 14.8)
    Yards - 3rd
    TDs - 2nd
    YPG - 16th (5 yards behind Rice)

I would say that qualifies him as one of the best ever, and he did it without every playing with a HoF QB

The only argument, I think, for someone like Rice over Moss, is statistics. But those are largely inflated b/c of the system he played in and the QBs he played with. Talent wise, the best WR ever is Moss, and I don't think it's even close. If you say it's Rice, you almost have to say that Emmitt and Favre are also the best.
  4. DFWJC

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,424 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Edit: for the majority of his career :laugh2:
  6. DFWJC

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    I didn't say a word.:laugh2: :starspin
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,424 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Haha, yea but a good snicker like that can go a long way...
  8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Skip Bayless said Michael Irvin the greatest followed by Moss and then Rice. Yesterday on First Take. Saw it yesterday on

9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,424 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    He has said this before. In one game, it's hard to argue with him.
  10. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,967 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I will take Irvin over Moss. I think he has a greater impact on the players around him. He plays with passion.

[youtube]t98-zzWESKw[/youtube]
  11. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,517 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    You got Moss'd

Sorry but Jerry or anyone else was not as dynamic to receive a saying like this.

Moss is the best WR imo
  12. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,517 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    :lmao:

Yeah ok
  13. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Well-Known Member

1,007 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    I take it you didn't see much of Jerry's career.
  14. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,880 Messages
    1,828 Likes Received
    Randy Moss was a greater talent. Like Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice wasn't the most physically gifted, but his work ethic made him the best. Randy Moss doesn't sniff Jerry's jock strap.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Randy certainly had more physical tools. His top end speed is still very good and his size and leaping ability were excellent as well.

But, Randy didnt have the heart that Rice had and that's what separates the very best from the rest.
  16. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,237 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    No, he doesn't. He was far easier to contain than Rice, who turned a 3 yard pass into 20 better than anyone I've ever seen. In big games, top teams are going to contain a guy like Moss who feasts on deep plays. Look at Rice's super bowl numbers. If anyone thinks the 2007 Giants lackluster secondary would have held Rice to 60 yards, they're high. Even under the old rules and even at the age of 30, he would have turned dink and dunk crap into 20 yard gains all night against that team. Punk Randy didn't even break 100 yards in that *entire* post-season with Tom Brady. The only post-season where Moss put up really huge numbers was the year they beat Dallas. Putting him in the same sentence with Rice under any circumstances is a friggin joke. And Rice made his quarterbacks a lot more than they made him. .
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,105 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    Apparently they don't drug test in the NFL anymore...
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,671 Messages
    1,188 Likes Received
    I have no problem with him saying it or believing it. That's how a player should feel, especially one that is really great.

I personally don't believe he's even close to correct. I get that people want to give him the best of all time because of abilities or what not but I go by everything involved in it.

To me there simply isn't even a debate as to who the best was and it was Jerry Rice by a large margin.
  19. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I agree Rice is probably the best. But T.O., if not for his attitude, could be mentioned in the conversation.
  20. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Irvin definitely deserves mention.