1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Randy Moss thinks he's the best receiver of all time

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Boys122, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    From a talent standpoint, Moss was the most talented WR I have ever seen. His bad attitude and poor work ethic kept him from being the best WR ever. He depended on his talent, but talent can only take you to a certain point. It takes work and talent to be the best.
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,334 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    I don't know why that is so funny. Do you really think Moss is head and shoulders above Rice? It is at least close, although I think Rice is better.

Rice(Moss) top 5 games for receptions
    16(12)
    14(12)
    13(11)
    12(11)
    12(11)

Rice(Moss) top 5 games for yards
    289(204)
    241(190)
    225(183)
    204(179)
    187(172)

Rice(Moss) top 5 games for TDs
    5(4)
    4(3)
    3(3)
    3(3)
    3(3)

Rice(Moss) top 5 seasons for receptions
    122(111)
    112(106)
    108(98)
    100(83)
    92(82) Rice was 40 during this season

Rice(Moss) top 5 seasons for yards
    1848(1632)
    1570(1493)
    1503(1437)
    1502(1413)
    1499(1347)

Rice(Moss) top 5 seasons for TDs
    22(23) Rice only played in 12 games due to the lockout that season.
    17(17)
    15(17)
    15(15)
    15(13)

Rice has had the better statistical games and seasons. I don't see how it is a joke to think Rice would be the better choice for a single game or single season. Everyone knows Rice will give you 100%. There is no telling what you would get out of Moss on any given day.
  3. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

955 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    /thread.
  4. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Randy Moss cant hald Jerry Rice's jock .... end of story.

Yes .. Randy moss is the best ever at the fade ... in the end zone. Everything else Jerry ownz him.
  5. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,864 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    There hae been plenty of talented WR's in the NFL. Moss has terrific talent, but his me-first attitude has prevented him from being a difference maker when it counts. don't be surprised if he's gone next season. I don't think he cares much for his teammates and it shows when the chips are down.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,242 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    I don't believe Moss was the best WR in the history of the game. However, if you are comparing Moss and Rice, I think you also probably need to introduce the fact that Rice played with much better talent at QB. In fact, he played with much better talent all around IMO, for the majority of his career.
  7. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    2 catches, 41 yards.

NOT the greatest of all time.

Sorry Randy.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,162 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Randy Moss at his best is better than any receiver at their best.

It's like Adrian Peterson. Yes there are far greater backs career wise but on his best day nobody is better than Adrian Peterson.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,242 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received

I think that Megatron might have something to say about that but I do agree, he was very good when he was on. Didn't help that he was seemingly always on against us.
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I'm sorry but that's absolutely incorrect.

Jerry Rice ran the whole freaking route tree. Moss ran 2 routes (for the most part).

Jerry Rice, in today's NFL, would SHATTER his own records.
  11. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,073 Messages
    453 Likes Received

Randy is a punk.

He was solely responsible for first Ravens momentum swing. Not even attempting for int.

He sucks.
  12. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,393 Messages
    1,380 Likes Received
    Rice played in an era where receivers got popped hard and often. Moss played when the rules swung the WR's way.

Rice also ran across the middle, something Moss rarely did even in a league that favored receivers.

Moss may have had more raw talent (Dez could too), but he is not the receiver that Rice was who played with consistency and a top notch work ethic.

Moss is probably in the top 5, but it goes:
    1. Rice-by a decent margin
    2. Irvin-not too far behind Rice
    3. player C
    4. player D
    5. player E

Moss fits into C, D or E and is well below the above two receivers IMO
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,162 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    Jerry Rice is the best but if im getting Randy Moss playing at his best vs Jerry i'll take Moss.

Emmitt is great too but i'll take Adrian Peterson at his best over Emmitt.

These guys are mutants.

And it's just laughable to see any Cowboy fan say Randy Moss sucks considering how he has absolutely destroyed us when we have faced him.
  14. joseephuss

20,334 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    I don't know if anyone said Moss sucked.

Dallas had nobody of note covering Moss when they faced him. The locked down Cris Carter with Deion and then used whomever else was on the roster to cover Moss. Kevin Smith when he was at the end of his career and dealing with back issues and then a bunch of corners whose names escape me.

The trick is the "if" in your scenario. "If" Moss is at his best. I'd rather not take a chance on that when choosing between who is better. Jerry Rice didn't come with that question. And Calvin Johnson is even bigger and more athletic than Moss. Having more potential does not make one player better.
  15. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,577 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Did Randy Moss play last night?

Was he even part of the 49ers team?

You didn't have to ask these questions when Rice went to the Superbowl. He showed up.

33 receptions
    589 yards
    8 TDs
    Superbowl MVP

4 Superbowl Appearances

Quite frankly Rice simply showed up on the biggest game of the year. Even with Tampa, a game they were getting their butts handed to him, he had 5 catches for 77 yards and a TD.

Moss was great, and physically maybe the most gifted WR ever, but he is not, and never will be, as great at Jerry Rice.
  16. joseephuss

20,334 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    Jerry Rice averaged 5.21 receptions per game, 77.41 yards per game and 0.75 TDs per game in 29 playoff games.

Randy Moss averaged 3.60 receptions per game, 65.13 yards per game and 0.67 TDs per game in 15 playoff games.

Michael Irvin averaged 5.44 receptions per game, 82.19 yards per game and 0.50 TDs per game in 16 playoff games.
  17. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

955 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I was thinking about this thread when I watched Moss not even attempt to catch a high, yet catchable pass which resulted in an interception. People who've watched his highlights of the years don't realize that possibly more than a third of his snaps resulted in lackluster efforts like this.

You NEVER saw that from Jerry Rice.
  18. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,960 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    Best big game WR's Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin.
  19. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    People also forget that Rice stacked up stats against the Falcons, Saints, and Rams...6 games a year and they were all terrible. Sans a year or two from the Saints.

The NFL was not nearly as balanced then. The NFCE was dominant (besides the Cards), the AFC sucked besides maybe 4 teams, NFC North had a good Bears team, a crappy Packers team, a Lions team that was always iffy, and the Vikes who were up and down.

Don't get me wrong...I think both are right there at the top for best ever.
    Moss had an ego on the field, Rice has one off the field.

He can say he is the best if he wants to. Some might agree, others will always say Rice regardless.

There are plenty of players I think are overrated, including Barry Sanders, Brett Favre, Terry Bradshaw, and so on.
  20. landroverking

landroverking Well-Known Member

1,126 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Randy Moss could have been should have been now a has been!