1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Randy White vs Nate Newton

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Mallard, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Mallard

Mallard New Member

16 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I was at that particular practice when they fought.
    It was actually more of an "after the whistle" scuffle. You had Nate, the new guy wanting to make his own statement, along with the all pro veteran Randy, who was maintaining his place within the team and the league. Both players had immense pride in their game.

It was a one-on-one pass drill where the offensive lineman had the responsibility of not letting the defensive player get passed him. At this time, Randy already had two injuries from the previous season that ultimately lead to end of his career (the pinched nerve in his neck, as well as the bad hamstring) and just wasn’t as effective as he once was. Nate on the other hand was part of the new wave of huge offensive lineman. He was massive and made the existing offensive linemen (even pro bowl offensive linemen) look small in comparison.

As the whistle blew, they had initial contact and Randy was still strong enough to “pop” big Nate off the line. Randy would then use that “swim” technique of his to try and get past. In that single drill, they re-engaged three times. Pop-swim, pop-swim and pop-swim. In the past, Randy was strong enough to knock the opposing lineman off the line and then fast enough to swim over and get behind the line of scrimmage. At this point in his career, Randy still had great strength but just didn’t have the same speed and Nate was able to stay in front of him the entire time. At the end, they were both locked into each other and nobody was pushing anyone backwards. Their torsos just took turns getting pushed back and forth, as they continued this “in your face” struggle.

One thing I found puzzling was that as Randy and Nate were locked up, the other offensive linemen seemed overjoyed at the prospect of some new guy hanging in there with Randy. They were hooting and hollering and I thought, what is this? Randy has been with the team for 10 or 11 years and they are supporting the new guy? My brother (who was an OL) set me straight about that and said for years, Randy was dumping the Dallas offensive linemen in practice and finally they had someone in their squad (Nate) showing incredible promise. If Nate could give Randy trouble, he would certainly be an asset to the team during the regular season. The OL group were overjoyed at the prospect of having some “next level” talent. That logic proved to be true as big Nate was a regular attendee at the Pro bowl for several years.

Back to the story…
    So, the whistle blows to end the play and nobody wants to be the first to stop. They are locked up and giving each other the evil eye. Randy pops Nate and Nate’s arms go flying up. The response didn’t have as much intensity but Nate shoves Randy in return. Randy then smacks Nate on the side of the helmet and Nate responds with another push. Randy grabs Nate’s facemask and pulls Nate forward into a head-butt. Nate turns and goes back to the OL group. Randy stays there for a moment, watching Nate walk off and then returns to the DL group.

That was it.
    Idgit likes this.
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,909 Messages
    640 Likes Received

Great story man.
  3. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    People forget that there was some overlap of the Landry guys with some of Jimmy's. Newton, Tuinei, Jeffcoat, Bates, and a few others played a number of years under Landry before the team was turned over.

Too Tall even stuck around for one final season in 1989 but most of the other star players retired or were released. Randy & Danny White both retired rather than play under the new regime.

I would have loved to see Nate & Randy going at it in practice, that must have been quite a battle!
  4. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,533 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    My recollection is that Danny White was unwanted by the Johnson regime but probably would have played if given the opportunity.
  5. QT

QT Active Member

1,901 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Nate talks about how him and Randy use to go at it in practice (on the Irvin show).

Actually the story I remember the most was Nate and Danny Noonan. Danny's first camp and also Nate's first camp with the Cowboys. Danny being the high profile #1 draft pick and Nate being the free agent.

Nate and Danny got into it and Danny took off Nate's helmet and hit Nate in the head several times. I remember reading this in one of the side notes in the paper. I was pissed at Nate for messing with our #1 draft pick, but funny how their careers turned out.
  6. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,953 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    IIRC, Nate was here at the end of the Landry regime.
  7. QT

QT Active Member

1,901 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Yes, we drafted Noonan in 87, then Irvin in 88. So Nate had a couple years with Landry.
  8. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Nate was a USFL refugee
  9. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,953 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    I remember that....he used to be called the "Kitchen". William the "Refridgerator" Perry wasn't as big as Nate.

Didn't Nate play on the same USFL team as Reggie White?
  10. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nate came to the Cowboys in 1986 after the USFL folded. He had 3 seasons under Landry.
  11. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I believe it was mutual. Danny has never forgiven Jerry Jones for the way Landry was fired and would not have played for the Cowboys whether they wanted him or not.
  12. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Nope because Reggie played for the Memphis Showboats. :D
  13. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That's too bad because he would have been a much better backup than Babe.
  14. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    White had an option on his contract that the Cowboys decided not to exercise. He would probably have played elsewhere if a starting job were offered but none was and he decided to retire. He was never the same QB after his wrist injury in 1986.

I was disappointed because I thought he would make a nice mentor for Aikman. He was proven to be a pretty good offensive coach in the Arena league.

I would have been a better choice for backup QB than Babe. :cool:
  15. QT

QT Active Member

1,901 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Just google'd Nate and found out he didn't play any games in 86. His number was also 67 in '86 and changed to 61 in '87.
  16. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,101 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    I think Nate played for the Tampa Bay Bandits in the USFL....
  17. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,533 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    You're right about that wrist injury. Never the same.

That game, in NY, became the impetus (or a t least a great example) for a rule change as I recall. And this time it was actually in defense of the Cowboys rather than against us (like the Emmitt rule, the Erik rule, & the Horsecollar rule).

White went out with the injury. Pelleur replaced him. The Cowboys needed a late score to win the game and the team did successfully get in position to score but kept getting long plays (screens to Dorsett & Newsome I think)called back.

George Martin of the Giants kept pre-snap bluffing a rush to get Phil Pozderac to move and it worked repeatedly. I forget what they now called it then. Now its "false start". Perhaps it was just illegal motion. Anyway play continued despite the penalty.

Cowboys kept pulling off a long 3rd down conversion and it kept getting called back because of Pozderac.

I still think I recall that White wanted to play for Jimmy and I really wanted him there to transition Aikman. Oh well, Troy turned out ok. ;)
  18. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

5,104 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I too hoped that Danny would stay for the 1989 season to basically be a QB coach for Aikman. From hearing him talk, Troy had a lot of respect for Danny. I still think Danny would be a good for an OC in the NFL.

In defense of Babe's play in the Atlanta game, it would be hard for any QB to complete passes with Falcons getting to him at the same time the ball was. Babe took a beating that day.
  19. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,147 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Michael Irvin and Ken Norton were both drafted by Landry in 1988. Although he didn't play for Landry, Chad Hennings was also part of Landry's last draft class in 1988.

Other Landry holdovers on the '89 JJ squad: P Mike Saxon, K Roger Ruzek, CB Everson Walls, RB Herschel Walker, S Vince Albritton, DB Robert Williams, DB Ron Francis, RB Darryl Clack, DB Manny Hendrix, LB Ron Burton, LB Jack Del Rio, LB Eugene Lockhart, LB Gary Cobb, G Tom Rafferty, G Crawford Ker, T Kevin Gogan, DE Ed Jones, DE Danny Noonan, G Jeff Zimmerman, WR Ray Alexander, WR Cornell Burbage, WR Kelvin Martin, TE Thornton Chandler, and TE Steve Folsom (I may have missed a few others).

So its not like Jimmy and Jerry pushed out all of the Landry players (at least not that first year). Eventually, most would leave, but some (Irvin, Bates, Newton, Bates, Tuinei) would form the core of the '90s dynasty.
  20. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Randy White vs. Larry Allen. Both in their primes

Who wins?