1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Randy White vs Nate Newton

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Mallard, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Avenging Hayseed

Avenging Hayseed Interwebs fooseball expert

2,262 Messages
    26 Likes Received
  2. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

6,068 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    Newsflash. LA was primarily a guard. He did play some tackle, but he was primarily a guard. Comparing LA's quickness to that of Randy White is......well laughable at best.
  3. Mallard

Mallard New Member

16 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Based on some earlier posts, it’s obvious that I’m a big Randy White fan. I have met Randy and saw him play during live games, skirmishes, practices and have several of his games on tape. On a different post within this site, there are pictures of Randy and I together. I’m no expert but I feel that I know his attributes pretty well.

It’s not uncommon for people to create scenarios of notable sports figures from different eras going head to head. Ali vs. Tyson and Shaq vs Kareem are some interesting match-ups but sometimes these scenarios are hard to realize, as the pace of the game may be drastically different from one era to the next. Who’s to say whether or not someone like Randy in his prime would be able to forge himself into the same high level player he was, in the same era of Allen or even today?

One thing that I have found as a common characteristic for successful people, is that they rise above their competition. In sports, you usually find that as a notable competitor passed through the successive levels of play (high school, college, pros), they elevated their game at each stage to rise above the level of competition. There was something about people like Butkis, Payton, White and others that pushed them beyond physical barriers to reach a superior level of play. In football, the players continue to get bigger, stronger and faster. It wouldn’t be an exact science but I suppose a person could use statistics to equalize attributes from one era to another. For example, if you took Randy’s best years and averaged the height and weight of offensive linemen at that time, you will have his h/w ratio against his opponents.

In 1978, the average offensive lineman in the NFC East was 6’ 3” and 257.3 lbs.
    Randy was 257 lbs and had 75 solo tackles, 48 assisted tackles (123 total) and 16 sacks.
    All things being equal, Randy was dominant at his position.

In 1986, the average offensive lineman in the NFC East was 6’ 4” and 273.1 lbs.
    Randy was 260 lbs and had 73 solo tackles, 30 assisted tackles (95 total) and 6.5 sacks.
    Opponents were 5 % larger than Randy; however, he still managed 6 tackles per game.

Randy’s injuries rendered him less ineffective in 1987 and even worse in his last year (1988).
    In 1988, the average offensive lineman in the NFC East was 6’ 4” and 287.65 lbs, with 1 in 5 weighing 300 or more.

In 1999, Larry Allen’s playing weight was 325. At that time, the average weight for a defensive lineman in the NFC East was 289.75 lbs. Allen was 12.6% larger than his opponents. I recall Tom Landry once wrote that towards the end of Randy’s career, he was getting pushed around by some of the bigger lineman as he was playing hurt but he would still fight. Randy and Allen were of different eras; however, the above numbers suggest that as the lineman grew larger, Randy’s was still effective while healthy.
    Randy was one of those rare individuals who could elevate his game to the competition. With modern training techniques, perhaps Randy’s 6’ 4” frame could facilitate the heavier weight of players in Allen’s time. Even if the height to weight ratio was accounted for between those periods, I do not think White would thrive at the tackle position but recall that in College, White was an All American as a defensive end. In 1999, the average weight of a defensive end was 270 lbs. Randy’s heaviest playing weight was 272. Since Allen played the tackle position at various times in his career, I think the natural match-up would be Allen at offensive tackle and White at defensive end.

I’ve watched a lot of Allen and I’ve watched a lot of White. Even before he became injured himself, Allen was not one of those players who could run all game long. After his initial push, he didn’t have endless steps in the tank. Allen had world class strength but Randy was no slouch in that department and would be stronger than he was in the 70's or 80's with current techniques. I think on run plays, Allen would have the advantage but on pass plays, I’m not sure if Allen could hold Randy down. I wouldn’t be surprised that on a crucial pass play, Randy would find a way to get to the quarterback as he was a game-maker.

That’s a battle I would love to see.
  4. Mallard

Mallard New Member

16 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    [IMG][/URL][/IMG] [IMG]
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,614 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    The interesting thing to keep in mind is that Nate out weighed Randy by 60 or 70 pounds.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,614 Messages
    5,772 Likes Received
    I love Randy and he was a bad arse, but I don't see anybody winning a fight with LA in his prime.
  7. Plumfool

Plumfool Active Member

771 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Don't forget the way Larry grew up. Pretty rough stuff. Anyone who gets stabbed 12 times and bounces back is a tough hombre.

Randy could knock out the bully Haley out, But the quiet ones are scary.
  8. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    Larry was a better football player.

Randy would win the fight.
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,450 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    Did you ever get an answer on this?

From what I remember, Randy did take some kind of martial arts lessons (karate? I am not sure of the discipline) in order to be able to work with his hands better at getting past OLmen
    jobberone likes this.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,867 Messages
    4,434 Likes Received
    No, I forgot but I'm certain he did some work and that almost always involves grappling and hand techniques.
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    Dr. Ward also saw value in the martial arts and he introduced the Cowboys players to Dan Inosanto, a world renowned martial artist and a master of the Filipino Martial Arts who was also a direct student of the late Bruce Lee in the art of Jeet Kune Do. Inosanto, in turn, introduced the Cowboys to Chai Sirisute, the godfather of Muay Thai kickboxing in the United States. Later, White would meet the late Larry Hartsell, who held black belts in judo and karate, and who also was a student of Lee.

While a member of the Dallas Cowboys, Randy White fell in love with the martial arts. He would kick the Thai pads five days per week. Working with Sirisute, he went 15 three-minute rounds kicking Thai pads, which is an incredible feat for a professional mixed martial artist, let alone a football lineman. White would also spar and spar hard in the art of Muay Thai. The sparring conditioned his body for the abuse it took on the football field.

In addition to the Thai boxing, White worked at length with Hartsell on hand drills called hubud, which is a flow and sensitivity drill that can be done empty-handed or with weapons, and is a key component of Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do and the Filipino arts. These drills quickly build up hand speed and sense of chi, or energy, flow in one’s opponent.

http://yourdailycowboysfootballfix....oys-tributes-the-manster-randy-white-part-ii/
    Phoenix likes this.
  12. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,450 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    Wow, thanks for this, and for that link!
  13. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

961 Messages
    557 Likes Received
    Agreed, but Randy had a nasty streak in him. I wouldn't underestimate his ability to "even" the fight.
  14. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,162 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Aren't both famous for chasing down opponents who were supposedly faster? I think Randy chased down Eagles TE Scott Fitzkee, and I forget the LB that Larry chased down who was returning a fumble his rookie year. Don't discount Larry's quickness.