1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rangers not Yankees to land Cliff Lee.

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Alumni2k11, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Now that the "Decision stuff" is over, back to the MLB.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2010/07/report_yankees_about_to_land_p.html

SEATTLE -- The Yankees stand on the verge of acquiring former Cy Young award winner Cliff Lee from the Mariners, according to a report in today's New York Post, though it will cost top prospect Jesus Montero.

If completed, the blockbuster trade has the potential to reshape an already-tight race in the American League East and trigger a reshuffling of the Yankees pitching staff. The addition of Lee would give the Yankees six starting pitchers, which could perhaps allow them to fix the bullpen last season, by moving Phil Hughes into a relief role.

Lee, 33, could also help the Yankees separate themselves from the rest of the powerful AL East. Though the Yankees remain in first place, the Rays and Red Sox are capable of pushing them. But a top-of -the-rotation pairing featuring Lee and ace CC Sabathia -- close friends and former Indians teammates -- could be enough for the Yankees to pull away.

Not that the Yankees need a reminder of Lee's effectiveness. The left-hander pitched two games last in the World Series as a member of the Phillies, dominating the Yankees in Game 1. Lee, who is 8-3 with a 2.34 ERA, is slated to start tonight for the Mariners in the second of a four-game set against the Yankees.
  2. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    what a joke.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    From what I heard, of the group of teams looking at trading for Lee. The Yankees were the least likely to make it happen. The most likely was the Rays and Texas. Texas and the Rays because they have the most talent to trade and Texas also has catchers that the Mariners are looking for.
  4. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,842 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    baseball needs a salary cap.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I can't believe MLB teams still fall for theYankees overrated prospects.
  6. Sam I Am

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Yankees and Boston have to much power in the league. They will never let that happen. It gives them way to much of an advantage and they have the money to pay outrageous amounts.
  7. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,842 Messages
    404 Likes Received

Trust me, I know it will never happen due to the Yankees alone.
  8. Alumni2k11

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Montero (The catcher the M's want) is pretty good. I've gone to a couple of the WB Yankees AAA games and seen him play. The rest of that team is nothing special though. They do have a few more catchers in the lower levels that I hear good things about, I guess we'll see.
  9. Alumni2k11

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  10. Sam I Am

31,267 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Fans should refuse to go to games until they prevent this type of ****. It's completely unfair to all the other teams. It's like having a Probowl team vs a college team. All the best talent goes to one team and everyone else is **** out of luck.

I think I will just stop watching baseball. If I hadn't already paid for four tickets to a Ranger game later this month, I would quit today.
  11. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,376 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Living in Colorado and being a Rockies fan its hard to get to attached to baseball. You know they will be competitive but ultimately will fall short to teams spend 2 to 4 times more then they can afford to do. To me baseball is more of a leisure time activity to go and watch then a competitive pro sport because of it.
  12. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    I don't see it as falling for prospects. It is just all they can afford. Teams can't afford to pay their stars, so they replace them with cheaper alternatives. It is not as if the Yankees are going to give teams current, productive major league players in return in most cases. Or other teams for that matter. The Rangers won't part with their big league players, either. Prospects are all you can expect in return.

Maybe you are right in that teams are falling for Yankees' prospects over other teams prospects. That could play a part. Hard to tell unless we know what every team is/was offering for Lee.

If the Yankees don't land Lee now, they will get him at the end of the year when he is a free agent.
  13. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,848 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    A New York team had to sign somebody, after losing out on Lebron.:rolleyes:

New York fan base = SPOILED ROTTEN.
  14. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,376 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    So basically most teams in MLB are a farm system for the other 6 teams that can actually afford to field a competitive team.
  15. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,490 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    So much for my Braves having a shot :(
  16. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,848 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  17. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Yep. That is how it works.
  18. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, I get that. I just don't know why teams keep dealing for the Yankees prospects and not with other teams. Their prospects are notoriously overvalued because of the hype that comes with playing for the Yankees and all the media exposure that comes with it.
  19. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,574 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    As a lifelong Yankees fan all i can say is
    "embrace the hate"
  20. MegaMagick

MegaMagick Active Member

6,336 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Stuff like this makes me grateful that we have football.