1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rangers prepared to move on without Wilson

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Sam I Am, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,213 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    If he does sign elsewhere, I hope he suffers from Steve Blass Disease. :muttley:

========================

DALLAS -- The Rangers are leaving the Winter Meetings after the Rule 5 Draft on Thursday. They are prepared to leave without signing free-agent pitcher C.J. Wilson.

The Rangers made it clear on Wednesday that they expect Wilson to sign elsewhere. The Rangers just haven't been competitive against the Marlins and the Angels in their pursuit of Wilson, who was their Pitcher of the Year for the past two seasons.

The Rangers met with Wilson's agent, Bob Garber, on Tuesday night and did not have a followup meeting on Wednesday. Instead, Wilson was seen at the Hilton Anatole for a possible meeting with the Marlins, who have offered him a six-year deal and could be closing in on an agreement.

Complete Story
  2. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,250 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    The Angels will probably get him him too. Going to be tough to beat.
  3. Sam I Am

31,213 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    That would be close to $370M for two players. (Wilson wants six years at around $20M per)

I don't think the Angels can do that.
  4. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    $20 million per year is way too much for Wilson. I really would like to get resign him, but not for that. It's pretty hard to believe someone would pay that after watchng his performance in the playoffs. I can't fault Wilson for taking it if someone is willing to pay it though.
  5. cowboyeric8

5,250 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Agreed. But the Rangers don't even act interested.

I can't get over how bad he was in the playoffs. Some ace.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,400 Messages
    2,995 Likes Received
    But without him during the season, there would have been no playoffs.
  7. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm sure the Rangers aren't acting interested because the price tag got so high.

Agreed, which is why I would love to have him back. I just don't think $20 million per year is reasonable.
  8. Sam I Am

31,213 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    They reason someone will do it is because he has four pitches he actively uses and he is a power lefty. Even with those issues, it's hard to argue his 3.2x ERA and over 200+ inning and what was it, 7+ strikeouts per game over the last two years.

He can help get you to the playoffs. Once there, then you worry about that.
  9. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm not saying he hasn't been productive or isn't an attractive free agent to pursue, I'm just saying that $20 million per year puts him at elite status, and I don't think he is at elite level. As I said, I would love to have him back, but I can't blame the Rangers for not getting to that price level.
  10. Sam I Am

31,213 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    I wouldn't offer him six years either. I think he is a great #2 starter. When Cliff was here, he was in the right spot.

I will say this, I don't think Feliz is ready to be a starter though. Not sure what the Rangers keep seeing, but I guess they should know better than I.
  11. cowboyeric8

5,250 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I agree completely. Same way with Young. I was just shocked at how bad he was. Which is why I don't think he is worth what teams are offering and we would be better off going in a different direction. Personally I want him back, good quality guy.
  12. Sam I Am

31,213 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Hmm. Just thought about this. The Angels are still stuck with the $60M left on Vernon Wells contract. That makes it seem even less likely that they will offer a six year deal to CJ.
  13. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It will be interesting to see how things go with Feliz. I'm certainly skeptical, but I have to admit I don't really have anything to judge on.

I think Young got caught up in the playoffs and tried to do too much. Young is at his best when he is driving the ball the opposite way, ocassioinally turning on a ball on the inside part of the plate. Seemed he was way focused on pulling the ball in the playoffs.
  14. cowboyeric8

5,250 Messages
    126 Likes Received
  15. Sam I Am

31,213 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    I think I would like to see the Rangers let CJ go and grab Matt Garza and Yu Darvish.
  16. cowboyeric8

5,250 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Part one is already done. We need someone else, we can't go with the rotation as is.

Ugh, screw the Angels.
  17. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    looks like CJ signed a 5 year $75 million deal with the Angels. I'm not sure we shouldn;t have considered that.
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,624 Messages
    1,158 Likes Received
    He was bad in the playoffs, without a doubt, but I wanted the Rangers to be able to keep him. The Rangers need MORE quality pitching, not less. This doesn't help us at all but it's the way it goes cause people are going to overpay for him.

I like CJ, a lot, but 20 million per is too much.
  19. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,086 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Well at least he won't have to hear people talking about how he isn't clutch in the playoffs, since he won't be there.
  20. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,472 Messages
    174 Likes Received

My braves are shopping Jair Jurrgens, he is a very good young pitcher. Much better then Wilson.

We want power hitters in return. Maybe Texas has some big bats in the minors that are pro-ready they can swap.