1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Rantsports: Dallas Cowboys Take Big Step With Largest Free Agent Class in History

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 16, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.rantsports.com/dallas-co...istory/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    Published: 35 minutes ago
    by Jeric Griffin
    NFL Network Manager

Dallas Cowboys fans can be happy with Jerry Jones…at least for a little while. That’s something that hasn’t been said in a long time in regards to America’s Team. With the signing of offensive guard Nate Livings, the Cowboys have already made the 2012 free agent class the largest in franchise history. The Cowboys have now spent more on free agents and signed more players than any other off-season since free agency began in 1993.

Livings is the seventh player the Cowboys have signed this week. Dallas has only signed six players in an off-season twice in the past 20 years. The Cowboys haven’t used free agency like this since Jimmy Johnson roamed the sidelines at Texas Stadium. Johnson built the Cowboys’ Super Bowl teams of the 1990s through free agency and now it appears Jerry Jones is finally figuring it out himself.

All of the Cowboys’ free agent signings now allow Dallas to approach the NFL draft “purely” as head coach Jason Garrett calls it. To translate, he means the Cowboys can now draft the best player available at any given time during the draft
  2. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And it is exciting the Cowboys fanbase to see it happening. This is the part I like ... as close as we can get to it:

All of the Cowboys’ free agent signings now allow Dallas to approach the NFL draft “purely” as head coach Jason Garrett calls it. To translate, he means the Cowboys can now draft the best player available at any given time during the draft.
  3. CowboysPhan

CowboysPhan Obsequious Cowboys Toadie

447 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    The Cowboys haven’t used free agency like this since Jimmy Johnson roamed the sidelines at Texas Stadium. Johnson built the Cowboys’ Super Bowl teams of the 1990s through free agency and now it appears Jerry Jones is finally figuring it out himself.

What??????? Johnson built the Cowboys' Super Bowl teams primarily through the draft, especially due to the Herschel Walker trade and a lot of other great draft trades. Free agency barely started during his tenure here.
    :banghead:
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,811 Messages
    7,177 Likes Received
    I laugh whenever I read that. Hey, now we can draft BPA. As opposed to when you can't, apparently.

You can always draft BPA. In fact, not drafting BPA is probably why you had to scramble around in free agency to get yourself "pure" for the draft.

You can either chase your tail every year drafting need to plug one leak after another or you can work the process correctly and use the draft to acquire talent.
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,987 Messages
    1,651 Likes Received
    Its an exaggeration but Gesek and Newton were picked up as free agents. So was Novacek, Horton, and Washington.
  6. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I laugh when I read your posts always finding fault. Of course BPA is always in play, it's just not always an option when you have obvious holes to fill in the Draft. You know that too, right? So, no, you can't ALWAYS draft BPA.
  7. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Member

832 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    And Plan B free agent Doug Novacek.
  8. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,645 Messages
    140 Likes Received

You've become a embarrassment to the board, your schtick is sooooo old. You bring down the board with your constant whinning and crying. Its obvious that you're no Cowb oys fan, your TROLLish ways are shinning through.
  9. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,259 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Amen....better to go into a season with a weakness you know about and can scheme around and draft the top talent available at every pick than to move around to draft the guy you hope will improve one position while growing weaker overall.

Of course, that's why we had to possibly overpay for Carr; we are so limited there, without Carr or one of the other overpriced veteran starters, we would indeed have been forced to find a CB in the first two rounds....no way we'd win many games with only the CBs on hand.
  10. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,491 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    I think the biggest f/a was Deion Sanders right? Or was he a trade like Haley was?
  11. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    There is a difference between BPA and a BPA of need
  12. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :bow:
  13. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,714 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    So the Walker trade was free agency? Didn't know that:)

In Johnson's tenure Plan B free agency existed, which was essentially waivers, it's how Dallas acquired Jay Novacek.

But seriously the author of this article is a rank amateur, you could argue trades, not the draft, made Dallas a dynasty, but never free agency.

Walker trade brought bonanza, then Dallas trades for Tony Casillas, Thomas Everett and Charles Haley, and traded Steve Walsh for the right to draft Alvin Harper.
  14. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,611 Messages
    3,344 Likes Received
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Risen Star [IMG]
    I laugh whenever I read that. Hey, now we can draft BPA. As opposed to when you can't, apparently.

You can always draft BPA. In fact, not drafting BPA is probably why you had to scramble around in free agency to get yourself "pure" for the draft.

You can either chase your tail every year drafting need to plug one leak after another or you can work the process correctly and use the draft to acquire talent.

:popcorn:
  15. BigMac6

BigMac6 Member

83 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    or..Jay Cosbie ;)
  16. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

mansta. Risen is one of the only posters to deal with the reality of how poor this team is being run....it's a mediocre organization compared to Green Bay,NYgspots, Baltimore, New England, etc.....it's great Jerrah has alot of money and will throw it around by acquiring all these JAGS for FA....only Carr and Orton were solid pickups IMO.......all the rest are stop gaps due to POOR DRAFTING by this organization: that's not trolling....that's reality. Just because someone points it out accurately doesn't mean you have to become insulting. Chill..........