1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rate Iowans vs New Orleans residents general flood performance

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ninja, Jun 22, 2008.

1. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,431 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Iowans: 10 points out of possible 10.

Evacuated when told, helping neighbors, doing everything they(not sitting on hands waiting for government) can to pick up the pieces and start over, and acted like wonderful human beings throughout a terrible ordeal.

New Orleans: -5 out of a possible 0-10 scale.

Ignored warnings to leave, stood on roof and waited for free helicopter lift and nationally-televised appearance, looted Walmart of vital necessities(guns, ammo, tvs, etc), some robbed(maybe even raped and killed) their neighbors, still living in FEMA trailers three years later.

I hereby declare Iowans of superior performance during horrible calamity. The two areas are only separated by several hundreds of miles yet their behavior is worlds apart.

To those who suffered from Katrina and acted decently in New Orleans, sorry your actions were overshadowed by the many hoodlums. I hope you get nice new neighbors.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,181 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received
    Of course anyone living near rivers in the midwest do have more frequent experience- but then New Orleans always was a sewer in a lot of ways and then taking into account the incredible embedded corruption of LA politics and the result is no surprise.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe the Iowa floods were Bush's fault as well.

I'll have to call Kanye West to find out.
  4. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,558 Messages
    3,410 Likes Received
    Just a thought, but maybe the government is a little bit more prepared to deal with such natural disasters after the Katrina disaster. It's easier to prepare when you've gone through something similar once. The difference will be in how much assistance the various cities and residents will get towards their recovery....

And how timely is this article..
  5. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Honestly WG, we've had bad flooding before. The government WAS prepared for Katrina but their hands were tied by the state. The President had to call Blanco twice asking her to declare a state of emergency. It was only at that time can the president release the federal aid. By the time her and Ray "School Bus" Nagan realized they needed the federal help, it was too late to make a preemptive impact.

The tragedy in NO could have been greatly minimized had the local officials followed proper protocol in making evacuation mandatory earlier and declaring a SOE early on.
  6. burmafrd

41,181 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received
    Yeah the great MAJORITY of the blame belongs in NO and LA State and Local, but the media and the bush haters somehow have convinced many stupid people its his fault.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,802 Messages
    2,888 Likes Received
    Speaking at a press conference at the White House, President Bush said that it had "exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government".

"And to the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Mr Bush said. "I want to know what went wrong or what went right ... It's in our national interest that we find out exactly what went on so we can better respond. I'm not going to defend the process going in but I am going to defend the people on the ground saving lives."
  8. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe I overlooked it, but I never read or heard a similar statement from Nagan or Blanco accepting responsibility for their part of the NO fiasco.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

59,802 Messages
    2,888 Likes Received
    Don't know about Blanco. However I seriously doubt Nagin did, he was too busy protecting rich visitors in top hotels while the rest in his city were struggling.

I give bush credit for stepping up and admitting blame for how some things went down.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,956 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    Not only Iowa, but everywhere else in the past sveral years have dealt with hurricanes better than New Orleans did. I've lived in both North Carolina (who is always getting hit by hurrcians with folks left stranded on islands etc) and New Orleans...no comparism as far how the locals will or will not point the finger at someone else for the problems. NC has had some giant disasters, and I have had relatives stranded for weeks without power. They may grmble about FEMA, but they understand that in the end, we are responsible for oursleves.

The goverment did a poor job with katrina---and that was a 50 year storm. But at some point, folks need to quit pointing fingers and take control of their lives.
  11. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know Blanco accepted responsibility for her part of the disaster. Mistakes were made by all levels of government, but the worst mistakes were made by Blanco and the citizens of New Orleans.

The fact that many didn't leave, and the fact that thugs were firing on the rescue workers made the rescue effort extremely difficult.

I was in the Biloxi area the weekend after the hurricane hit. The area was a disaster, but the relief effort was much better organized there. The national guard and Red Cross were on the scene immediately with food and supplies.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,956 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    I gave him credit for that. Hopefully the process will be improved.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    As it should be. The 1st responders come in the form of the National Guard and local emergency management teams In New Orleans you had police who abandoned their job, a national guard who should have been standing by to move as soon as the storm passed but the Gov was very slow in calling up the guard. President Bush did take blame but a lot of this could have been avoided had the 1st responders did their job at the get go and the bottom line is they did not. They sat on their butts and waited for the Feds to move in that is not how you handle a major tragedy like what took place in NO.
  14. burmafrd

41,181 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received
    But the libs made sure it was bush that got most of the blame rather then where it belonged. Your buddies Brain.
  15. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ya, know, when you are lied about and drug through the mud the way Bush has been, undeservedly so, sometimes the best tact is to take responsibility for what happened regardless of whether you are to blame or not. You had idiots like kanye west, that moron keith obermann and others just raping Bush over this. The liberal media did the same thing and so he diffused the issue by taking blame where none should be placed.

Once again, had the state and local authorities done as Bush said to do in the beginning, this would have been much less tragic. But Bush is too much of a man to say "it wasn't me." and did what a great leader does and took the blame so that America could move on.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

59,802 Messages
    2,888 Likes Received
    Yes bush is always innocent and poor bush is always a victim. Poor W.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

59,802 Messages
    2,888 Likes Received
    Oh...poor W and poor Burm. :laugh2:
  18. burmafrd

41,181 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received
    Bush can take it.
    And if you were really honest you would admit that in this case you are wrong but you won't.
  19. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,279 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    Yes, he's been a shining beacon of intelligence and leadership. It's just this darn liberal media and "bush haters" that give this guy a bad rap.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,076 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Not the victim but he took the brunt of the heat, I did not see the Gov or Nagel take the same heat that Bush did. Dems did not rail on them as they did Bush. Everyone did share some blame but that was not the case the brunt of the blamed landed on Bush. Most of the problems would have been avoided had 1st responders did their job instead they sat on their butts waiting and letting things get out of control.