1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rate the last book you read

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by ethiostar, Feb 9, 2010.

1. bringinthehurt31

bringinthehurt31 Member

115 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With The Old Breed - E.B. Sledge

I really enjoyed this one. A great first hand account of the ground war in the pacific theater during WW2. Taken from the memoires kpet by Sledge during the battles for Peleliu and Okinawa. Would def. recommend this to anyone who enjoys military history.
  2. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,300 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Island of Sequined Love Nun-----Christopher Moore

Not as good as 'Lamb' but better than 'Fool'. It was very good and made me laugh out-loud a number of times, as you would expect from his books. The guy is just insane in a very good way.
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

4,621 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    Somehow I stumbled across "The Frontier Saga" by Ryk Brown, whilst shopping around on my Kindle.

It's 4 books to my knowledge, and book 1 (Aurora: CV-01) was decent I suppose (5 / 10 ), but I'm 42% into book 2 (The Rings of Haven) and it is ABYSMAL. Talk about blather, boredom, and total lack of effort to actually write something interesting! This might be the worst book I have ever actually tried to read. That old quote is apt here: It was a book for killing time for those who liked it better dead. ZERO out of TEN.

I will not be continuing this mindless series, and I encourage all to heed my dire warning of opening the cover on this waste of time.
  4. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,271 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Excellent book, some of the parrales to what is going on today are amazing. someo fo the language used is kind of scary. I won't go into detail since I don't want to get political. Only bad part is some parts of the book are needlessly loooong, like the 30 page speech by John Galt. 9/10 must read.
  5. ethiostar

6,300 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I've had this book for years and have yet to read it. I'm not sure why I haven't read it.
  6. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Recently read A Gift for Ron by E. Walls. Heck of a story even though we know now that it doesn't really have a happy ending. Don't think you need to be a Cowboys fan to enjoy it, either. Aside from the obvious topic of the book, there is some interesting insights from Walls about life as a Dallas Cowboy. He's not the best writer ever, but it's real life stuff, so that makes up for it.

7/10

:starspin
  7. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Lone Survivor - 10/10 - It's the only book that has ever made me tear up. If you're American and consider yourself patriotic, it's a must read.
  8. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Active Member

1,219 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Empires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World

This is a terrific book! It covers the time period around the 1500's and the battle between Eurpoe and Asia around the Mediterranean Ocean. Not only does it provide lots of details but it really puts you into the middle of the action with it's description of the battles. I'd call it historical and dramatic at the same time.

When we look at the time we live in now with shootings, bombings, terrorists, economic problems, uncertainty ... but it's not as bad as Europe in the 1500's.
  9. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Starting on the entire "Foundation" series of books by Isaac Asimov which looks like it could take me several decades to get through. Really interesting so far.
  10. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't worry too much about anything past the first 3.
  11. ethiostar

6,300 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    My favorite sci-fi of all time. Great series. Especially the first few books.
  12. ethiostar

6,300 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I'll Mature When I'm Dead-----Dave Barry

I just finished reading this one. Hilarious book with chapters on various topics. First book I've read by Barry but it won't be the last.

There were a couple of books I read before this one but I can't seem to remember them right now. Crap....I will post when I do.
  13. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A couple of chapters away from finishing Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

Holy **** good/10.
  14. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,076 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    1939 by Richard Overy and Hitler, a Short Biography, author escapes me.

Decent books, quick reads.
  15. ethiostar

6,300 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Guards! Guards!----------Terry Pratchett

Part of the Discworld serious and absolutely hilarious. A lot of laugh out-loud moments and a very well-written book.
  16. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,683 Messages
    965 Likes Received
    I just finished these last month and I loved them. The last one was actually one on my favorites, Foundation and Earth, I think.

On to Dune...
  17. Denim Chicken

2,683 Messages
    965 Likes Received
    Finished Dune and Dune Messiah; about halfway through Children of Dune.

Not really enjoying these as much as I though I would, but I will press on :(
  18. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Pines by Blake Crouch.

I was looking for a new book to read on Amazon's site and clicked the Kindle section. This book was on top and have nothing, but very good reviews.

If you like Twilight Zone type genre, I can recommend this book.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5. The book isn't spectacular, but I definitely enjoyed reading it. It also isn't excessively long, so it doesn't take that long to read.
  19. Denim Chicken

2,683 Messages
    965 Likes Received
    Finished ‘Children of Dune’, and I’m going to stop here for now in this series. These books are interesting how they touch on politics, religion, ecology, prescience, and the interrelatedness thereof, but I’m ready for something different. I have downloaded a few books / series, but not decided which order to begin:

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
    Perdido Street Station
    Hyperion Cantos
    Malazan Book of the Fallen
  20. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,257 Messages
    2,690 Likes Received
    Read Brothers Karamazov in HS. Tough read.