1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rate the last book you read

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by ethiostar, Feb 9, 2010.

1. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,417 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Ah, OK. I usually only read series.

Joe Abercrombie has several stand alones set in the same universe as First Law. Best Served Cold is excellent.

If you like humor Discworld is a very lengthy series but each book reads like a standalone. I would recommend Mort.

Joe Hill has several good books out. Horns and NOS4A2.
    Denim Chicken likes this.
  2. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,228 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon. Post apocalyptic fiction and a good one. In that same genre The Dog Stars by Peter Heller is a good one.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,117 Messages
    1,335 Likes Received
    Thanks, I've read Swan Song (one of my faves).

I'll check out the other.
  4. bb721

bb721 Active Member

137 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. The true story of Lou Zamperini, a runner in the 1936 Olympics which took place in Berlin under the cloud of Hitler's Nazi reign. During WWII he is shot down over the Pacific and spends 40+ days adrift at sea. When his rescue finally occurs it is at the hands of the Japanese enemy who keep him in a POW camp for years under some of the most harsh conditions imaginable. An inspiring book in so many ways.

9/10
  5. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,228 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    What about Wilbur Smith, have you read any of his stuff? I loved his Courtney series set in eighteenth century Africa. They're quick reads and there isn't a need to read through the whole series really. When The Lion Feeds is the first book and a good one.

I'm reading American Gods right now and struggling with it so far. Hoping the second half is better than the first.
  6. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,117 Messages
    1,335 Likes Received
    I have not read Wilbur Smith and appreciate the suggestion. I read American Gods, though. I wasn't really impressed, but I do like Gaiman.
  7. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,554 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    Finished Way of the kings and words of radiance by Brandon sanderson(its a 10 book epic) and it almost took me 1 month to finish them and they are exceptional and could be the next great fantasy series after game of thrones
    AmarilloCowboyFan likes this.
  8. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,417 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Yep, I agree. It's fantastic. I can't wait for the next one and since it's Sanderson we won't have to wait 7 years like GRRM.
  9. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,554 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    The last book I read was the Bible which I give a perfect 10 out of 10!!!!!