1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rate the last book you read

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by ethiostar, Feb 9, 2010.

1. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I'll stipulate counselor, provided you stipulate the same regarding your position.
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,080 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    Pfft.

You're such a fearful zealot.:D

On a serious note, the works of Lovecraft and Clive Barker are the stuff of nightmares.

I find Dan Brown boring. I lost interest in The Davinci Code well before I could be offended by it.:p:
  3. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,092 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Anybody have any suggestions on some good sports books?
  4. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,468 Messages
    245 Likes Received
  5. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Endurance was really good, about some guys getting stranded in Antartica for a year and trying to survive. True Story. I bought that book by Jeff Pearlman yesterday about the Cowboys in the 80/90's. Seems like a good read so far.
  6. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
  7. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just started "The Lost Symbol" and am about 75 pages in. The writing is bad, but the story is entertaining so far.

The pacing is almost like a television show with frequent cuts to different characters and very short chapters. Reading the book is seriously like watching an episode of Lost, with each chapter's end acting as a commercial break after something intriguing is revealed. I don't remember if this is how the other Langdon book were written, but it's easy to see why the style is so appealing.

Dan Brown is no Cormac McCarthy, but I don't think he's trying to be.
  8. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I just finished reading 'Sleepless' by Charlie Huston.

Its a great concept for this type of book. Its about a new epedemic/disease that causes people to never sleep eventually leading to death. I almost did not finish this book. I started it a few weeks ago but had a hard time getting going because the writing was confusing and furstrating and the writing style was too disruptive to follow the story line. I picked up two other books and finished reading them while trying to get through the first half of this book. He swiched characters and narrators often that I really had a hard time figuring out who was narrating the book until i was almost half way through it.

In the end I'm really glad i stuck with it because the second half is much better/stronger and i really appricated the ending that i didn't see coming.
  9. kimorah86

kimorah86 New Member

91 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The last book i read was virgin bought and paid for but the best book i read was erric jerome dickeys drive me crazy at least it was one of the best that i read
  10. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I ran across a quote by Salman Rushdie regarding the DaVinci Code. "I, for one, am abjectly at odds with the execution of authors but having read The DaVinci Code, I am willing to revisit my position" or something like that. All I ever needed to know about it.

I just polished off "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Relin. Excellent book and shows how one man, not a governmental agency or government in general, is winning the war against terrorists one child at a time. At first I thought it was too preach and the author seemed to be saying "woe, look at me who is poor and without material things while I build these schools" when in reality I was seeing a self-serving broke-*** mountain climber who in no way prepared himself for society outside of the that subset of culture.

Somewhere along the way though it clicks and you see one man who is doing more than we could possibly imagine at any one point in our lives. It's an amazing story and he's going to be a REAL reason why there aren't more attacks on America and it's allies from religious zealots.

Excellent, excellent, excellent.

I'm going to pick up the next book by him that chronicles his efforts in Afghanistan "Stones into Schools".
  11. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rushdie also said that "The DaVinci Code" was, "a novel so bad that it gives bad novels a bad name."
  12. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,080 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    From what I've gathered, the general consensus on Dan Brown from literary critics is that, although he can spin a very compelling narrative (as Maso observed), his writing is dreadful.
  13. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,496 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  14. CanadianCowboysFan

15,496 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    dd you see the movie? Audrey Tautou is so hot.
  15. CanadianCowboysFan

15,496 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    Not sure if Rushdie is one to be making such a comment.
  16. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Do people really sit through awful movies to look at a hot woman?
    I'm not saying Da Vinci is awful, because I haven't seen it, but I hear this kind of qualifier all the time. Why sit through a pile of crap just to look someone you can probably see on the internet while bypassing the misery of a lame movie?
  17. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Hey, he risked his life for his writings. It sounds like a better qualifier for legitimacy than because you can look at hot women. :laugh2:
  18. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    I'll admit to having rented DVDs for that reason, but only cause I can fast forward... :D
  19. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Quoted for truth. I caught the movie one night on TBS or something. Not bad, but for the public's love of the story I should have known it wasn't going to be anything to write home about.
  20. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,973 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    'A Clash of Kings' - 10/10