1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rate the last movie you saw

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah man, he is phenomenal. I wasn't a huge fan of Inglorious, but he was brilliant in that too. I love the dialogue in Django..just like True Grit re-make the Coen brothers did.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,890 Messages
    7,634 Likes Received
    I don't agree. There's an art to story telling. You can ameliorate the material without dramatically changing the origina story line. And you should, unless you want to take the knock and actually call the movie an adaptation or acknowledge that it's only based on the source material. If you're using the name of the original book, any changes for the sake of the movie should be for the sake of advancing the experience or be required because the mediums are different.

In this case, the storyline was changed in order to spread the source content over an additional four or five hours in order to make three movies out of what should have been one or two. What's worse, it was sloppily-done, because the added scenes could easily have been added in the form of flashbacks in a parallel storyline that would not have required changing the original so dramatically. It was authorial laziness and not a necessary compromise that was necessary in order to bring the childrens' story to the big screen.

Saw 'This is 40' this weekend, too. Scary how much it looked like my own marriage. Even the little details. The wife was in stitches--people were looking at us. I thought it was a bit spotty and long, but a good flick for parents in their early 40s.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I agree. His delivery is exceptional. After watching Django I wanted to go watch the Bastards again.
  4. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,919 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Lincoln - awesome 9 out of 10
  5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,027 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    End of Watch - 10/10

That very well might be the best/most realistic cop movie I've seen in a LONG time.
  6. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Cowboys vs. Redskins 12/30/12... worst thing I've watched in a long long time.
  7. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Watched Fearless, IP Man and IP Man 2 recently. Really good martial arts. The Hobbit was really good.
  8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Paul - 8/10

Pegg and Frost nail a hilarious comedy.
  9. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,557 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    Yeah the acting was horrible. I can't wait for the actual game!
  10. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    Looper.

was entertaining but that's about it. 7 out of 10.
  11. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,759 Messages
    599 Likes Received
    Life of PI-what a downer.
  12. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,027 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Les Miserables - 8.5/10

I really enjoyed it. I don't think Russell Crowe was the right choice though. He was great as an actor, but he just didn't have the forceful voice he needed for that role.
  13. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Django 9/10 funny and excellent. The hoods scene is the funnier scene I've ever seen on a movie.
  14. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Django 10/10 - Great dialogue, action, plot, acting. Christoph Waltz was amazing and thinking acting wise, one of Samuel Jackson's better roles.

Ruby Sparks 8/10 - Really good movie, enjoyable and original for me.
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,045 Messages
    1,163 Likes Received
    I think your point is right, but your perception is biased. What you're taking for "this addition didn't work and was unnecessary" is most likely just "this is different and therefore I don't like it." Again, I don't care one bit whether anything is added or subtracted. I have no real love for the source material. Nothing in the movie seemed out of place or unnecessary. And there was certainly nothing "sloppy" about it.

Proponents of adherence to source material are about as annoying as music snobs. Just unbearable.
  16. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,488 Messages
    2,076 Likes Received
    Trouble with the curve-hard to go wrong with an Eastwood flick, so a 9/10
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    Parental Guidance

7/10

It was about what you expect, old school meets new school, and you find that old school isn't so bad, and adapting to a different time isn't either. But it was cute enough that if it came back on TV, I wouldn't turn it off.
  18. iceberg

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    being a queen latifa fan (sp?) what did you think of last holiday? did i already ask you this once?
  19. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    Not sure you've ever asked me.

I like romantic comedies, even if they are corny and cheesy...and Last Holiday was both. Never saw it until it was on TNT and I taped it and watched it almost six months after the fact. lol

QL has a 3-1 ratio of bad to good movies which is how she continues to get work. She's a solid actress, but she'll sign on for almost every questionable role to take work. I like her tho.
  20. iceberg

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    in this movie she won me over and blew me away. i simply loved it from start to finish and it's become a quite favorite of mine.