1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Rate the last movie you saw

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 19, 2012.

1. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,446 Messages
    1,348 Likes Received
    Damn, that says a lot considering how bad Costner has been throughout his career as you stated. How does this man still find work? I almost got into the "Mr. Brooks" plot but his drab "one demeanor" tone coupled with the equally unbearable Dane Cook (for different reasons) made me turn off the movie about half way.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  2. BigStar

3,446 Messages
    1,348 Likes Received
    I really enjoyed the Royal Tenenbaums for its dark humor and Rushmore even more considering the great comedic dynamic between Murray and Schwartzman. Is "Grand Budapest Hotel" more of a "straight drama" considering the historical context or should you expect the same dark humor element mixed in as well?
  3. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,114 Messages
    700 Likes Received
    Excellent acting in those emergency room scenes. And the irony of those doctors having to work on LHO a couple of days after JFK. Just a good movie.
  4. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,051 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    Not sure to what historical context you refer, but it's most definitely a comedy in the tone of the films you mentioned. Some of the same actors, Murray and Schwartzman, as well as many other notables.
    BigStar likes this.
  5. BigStar

3,446 Messages
    1,348 Likes Received
    I misread the summary on IMDB to read "during the war" when it actually states "between the wars" (WWI & II I am assuming). Will definitely check it out and thanks for the recommendation.
  6. Denim Chicken

3,051 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    I got you, but the whole thing (wars, country) is entirely fictional. You'll like it, though.
    BigStar likes this.
  7. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,223 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    I couldn't sleep last night and end up watching the movie RIPD on HBO. I know it is an 2012 or 2013 movie but I just saw it for the first time. It was terrible. I give it a 1 out of 10. It was just a really poor attempt to copy Men In Black with dead people instead of aliens. It REALLY sucked but nothing else was on :(.
  8. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,455 Messages
    775 Likes Received
    Edge of tomorrow is Ground hog day with the Matrix effects It got to the point where I was hearing "I got you babe" 6/10
    BigStar and jobberone like this.
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,790 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    I caught it a couple of weeks ago. I agree it was terrible. Poor story, bad pacing and actors who seemed disinterested.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,461 Messages
    3,742 Likes Received
    Shutter Island. Finally got around to watching it. Was not impressed. It was so blatant at what the twist was going to be that I thought they would have twisted the twist...if that makes sense.
    Ntegrase96 and BigStar like this.
  11. paladin78749

paladin78749 Member

139 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Went the day well? 1942 British movie. Take "Red Dawn" blend it with an episode of "Combat" and set it in a small English village. I enjoyed it, but I like low-budget, propaganda movies. 8/10
    Turkish Delight - 1973 Dutch. I think this was Paul Verhouven's 2nd movie. It's "Love Story" meets "Caligula".
    Apparently its the most successful film in the history of the Netherlands. IMO it goes out of it's way to shock and I'm stunned that they would allow children to see this. The acting and script are very strong I was just put off by the coarseness 6/10
  12. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,121 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    I don't know how Ryan Reynolds (much less Jeff Bridges) read that RIPD script without throwing it on the table and walking out.

Troy (Director's Cut) - 8/10

Let me preface that I have not read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. I know that Wolfgang Peterson took liberties with the story, hence the "Inspired by" credit disclaimer.

In my opinion, the role of Achilles was made for Brad Pitt. He had charisma and ferocity. The set pieces were epic and breath-taking.

Enjoyed the movie. Some may get bored with the Director's Cut as it does run past the 3 hour mark, but I was interested during the entire film. A quick warning though that this is not a film for all ages. The Director's Cut is filled with many instances of violence and gore as well as what you think would happen if your city was pillaged during those days.
    cml750 likes this.
  13. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,484 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    They got word from Hugh Jackman that it doesn't matter when making a Comic Book movie, and both will go on to make 5 more crap RIPD movies lol
  14. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    I have not read the whole thread, but I hope someone mentioned "Lone Survivor". Based on the true story...
  15. paladin78749

paladin78749 Member

139 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I thought the battle sequence between Hector & Achilles was the best spear fight I've ever seen; and the simple background music of a single drum was brilliant.
  16. BigStar

3,446 Messages
    1,348 Likes Received
    Agreed! Felt the same way watching in the theaters esp considering his "partner's" nonchalant attitude towards his odd mannerisms/attitude/aggression. They could've really done something better to conclude (don't ask me, I'm not the writer;):D).
  17. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

2,046 Messages
    831 Likes Received
    Ida... for the cinema goers... awesome watch...

beautifully shot, and very powerful, yet simple coming of age post WW2 story....

4 out of 5 stars or 9/10... or whatever..... I was a great watch for the cinema appreciators..

18. RonSpringsdaman20

2,046 Messages
    831 Likes Received
    Watched this two days ago...
    one of the best openings ever...
    RIP William Fraker
    (amazing soundtrack/score as well)
    7/10

19. RonSpringsdaman20

2,046 Messages
    831 Likes Received
    Edge was a nod to gammers through & through.....
    Although I'm not really a gammer, It was pretty funny seeing him get killed in silly ways early as he was figuring out his strategy.
    jobberone likes this.
  20. Denim Chicken

3,051 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    LOL, seen many spear fights have you? ;)