1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ratliff looks headed for the PUP list

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Aug 27, 2013.

1. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,962 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Yes, I think players like Ratliff and Shaun Alexander do a lot of damage to future players. Get a big new contract with a big signing bonus and completely slack the rest of the way. The team takes a chance and believes they have a certain amount of integrity and concern about what legacy they leave, but all too often, they take the money and run (or more accurately, sit). So all these future players who work their tails off to get a big second contract only to find the team saying "sayonara" only have these past players to blame.
  2. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,816 Messages
    546 Likes Received
    Yeah pretty disappointing about Ratliff. The guy looks like he has no desire to get back on the field.
  3. cowboys2233

3,962 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    If they decided to take the cap hit and release him, I guarantee he would have a miraculous recovery. It would be miraculous, I tell you. Heck, I don't even know if the team has the cap room to release him. If not, his contract his basically guaranteed this year, no matter what. I'm sure his agent is well aware of all of this.
  4. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,343 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    Shocking, this is the exact reason why some wanted him to be released. He just cant stay on the field.
  5. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,065 Messages
    1,105 Likes Received
    this was over 5 weeks ago!

6. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,491 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Completely agreed. Missing the first six weeks will hurt, but if Ratliff can come back for 10 games and the playoffs and be healthy, he will be an important part of this team.
  7. cowboys2233

3,962 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Why? Just because? The guy is FINE, why is that so hard to believe? Groin injury heals and all the sudden, the hamstring starts hurting. MRI reveals nothing but for some mysterious reason, the pain just won't allow Ratliff to play.
  8. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,838 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I think Rat is taking Jerry on a ride.
  9. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,958 Messages
    547 Likes Received
    The guy doesn't want to practice . I'd bet someway , somehow he will be healed week 1
  10. cowboys2233

3,962 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Jerry put him in the driver's seat. I wouldn't hold your breath on Ratliff, he's not playing another down for the Cowboys unless by some miracle, he actually starts to miss the game. Heck, why do you think he's staying away from the team's facilities? He just doesn't want to be exposed to the guilt that he would feel by actually having to look his teammates and coaches in the face. Probably more his coaches, I'm sure his teammates have his back, they know just how merciless the NFL can be and are probably happy that he is one of the rare instances where the player has the organization over a barrel and not the other way around. Still, a lot of these guys really want to win and know him being out there gives them the best chance, so I'm sure there would be some level of player backlash too.
  11. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,568 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Smoke screen.
  12. Nirvana

4,065 Messages
    1,105 Likes Received
  13. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    If he shredded a hamstring or groin in an actual explosive full speed drill or something it might make sense. But this injury is going to be a 12 to 13 weeks on an endurance drill. It strains credibility as much as a hamstring.
  14. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,654 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I'd sooner waive him then put him on PUP.

All he's gonna do is take up a roster spot. He obviously has no desire to get back on the field. 8 months for a hernia? 5+ weeks for a muscle strain...uhhh I don't think so.
  15. Nirvana

4,065 Messages
    1,105 Likes Received
    On a side note, that conditioning test he pulled a hammy on has you run 6 40 yard dashes in a row, and they have to all be under 6 seconds to pass. Ratliff passed despite the injury. Regarding the test, that sounds a bit extreme right out of the blocks! A DL does not ever need that kind of output in a short amount of time. Why risk an injury like that?
    dogberry likes this.
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,473 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    Actually if we cut him next year we save about 1.3 mill against the cap.

You have to look at the base and not just the "dead" money
  17. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,945 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    This is what you get when you let the inmates run the asylum. For YEARS...YEARS....coaches, scouts, fans etc...talked about the wear and tear Jay was enduring playing the NT in the 3-4. But because Jay did not want to be moved...coaches came up with scheme (read: execuses) to allow him to play the "middle" in the 3-4. Well surprise surprise (not really) Jay cannot play football after NINE months of rest and rehab. No big deal, his contract is expiring...doh.....except we just RE-SIGNED him in 2012. And make no mistake...we THOUGHT he has some football left in him....because we did not address the DL in the draft or free agency. So again...what about the decision makers in Dallas does this tell you...when they looked at Jay and saw him being a productive player for a few more years?
  18. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    what is up with lissemore? he gets passed on the depth chart by everyone.
  19. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,645 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    didn't he hurt his groin getting ready for train camp or condition drills or etc.
  20. cowboys2233

3,962 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    It there were no salary cap implications, I'm sure they would have done that long ago. Or he would have played. But with the salary cap implications, the team is forced to keep him, he knows it, and has decided to take an extended holiday.