1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ratliff restructures conract

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LittleD, Mar 11, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,909 Likes Received
    Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr
    Ratliff had $3.66M in base converted to signing bonus. His new cap # is $4.072M;saves $2.928M on cap for Cowboys
  2. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Supposedly they converted $3.66 million of his salary into a bonus, saving $2.93 million according to what I read.
  3. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

869 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    New England will always be better than the Cowboys... They don't hang on to over 30 players even if they only make 900 thousand. That's why you like 8-8 teams I guess... Keep em' coming....
  4. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Yea, that's what I expected. Thanks.
  5. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,890 Messages
    389 Likes Received
    if he can stay healthy he should have a nice season in the new system. although he missed most of las t season he was still 4th on the team with 10 qb pressures. a healthy season with a much easier job should really bring the best out of him.
  6. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    This is why I still come to this site. Someone asks a question and BOOM three answers within seconds. Awesome!
  7. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    It adds almost 3m in future cap hits to his deal, but cutting this year wasn't a good fit either. Time to see if the switch to the 43 will help him regain his form.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,240 Messages
    4,567 Likes Received
    New England has had a history of keeping and/or signing, players over 30.

Brady, Moss, Bruschi, Seau, Branch, Waters and those are just the names off the top of my head over the last few years.
  9. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,036 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

ruh roh looks like LittleD is going to be backpeddling out of this one too. he is hilarious. have you ever thought about stand up comedy?? Maybe you can get discovered at SXSW this week!
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,876 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    The Patriots didn't even sign Corey Dillon until he was 30 and they kept him for 3 years.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,876 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Still wouldn't be funnier than Grump Cat. Not the actual cat, but the long line of people that are waiting to get a photo with Grump Cat. Now that is funny.
  12. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Because if he gets cut, he gets nothing. If you think another team will give you a multi-year deal worth more than 3m a year, then you don't accept a pay cut. After the year he had, he may want to bank another 3-4m from the Cowboys and try to prove himself.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,794 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    There really is no point in replying to this. But it is good for a laugh.
  14. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,995 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    So his last contract was structured so poorly, the only option we had was to extend him further, for more money, for 3 years of sub par play. In what world does this make sense?:banghead:
  15. xNitram

xNitram New Member

22 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    am i the only one that want Jay Ratliff cut?

he's over the hill, can't stay healty and cost to much..
  16. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,985 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    My understanding is that we don't gain much, if anything financially at all by cutting Ratliff this season.

I think Spears may be someone we can cut, but they still may want to keep him.
  17. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,813 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    No, you are not alone. I wish Ratliff were off this team now. I would have suspended him last year and then cut him. I doubt if he will even make it through training camp without pulling something or spraining something. Ratliff is over the hill and he has a bad attitude and he has a drinking problem and he is pretty stupid. I see no potential.
  18. weaver21

weaver21 Active Member

685 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Cutting Ratliff would've done absoutely nothing for us except hurt our cap situation even more. Add to the fact we're not that deep on the defensive line and you almost have to keep him on the team regardless if you like his attitude or think he's done. Hopefully the switch to the 4-3 benefits him and he can stay healthy.
  19. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,433 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    Not really sure, but I'm also not that concerned. If Dallas wants to sign anyone in free agency, it will find a way. Right now, though, fans just like to panic over things they don't know or understand.
  20. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,995 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received

They can't cut him. He costs too much to cut.