1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

RB Bryce Brown, Former 2009 No. 1 recruit Declares

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JonJon, Jan 12, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,656 Messages
    1,482 Likes Received
    Gonna need a back hoe to lift his baggage.
  2. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

286 Messages
    10 Likes Received

Bryce Brown, the one-time highly recruited running back who has played for two different schools since 2009, but totaled just 104 combined carries in both seasons, gave scouts a taste of why there were such great expectations around him. Brown ran 40 times which ranged between 4.37 and 4.45 seconds after tipping the scales at 223 pounds. He touched 34 inches on the vertical jump and completed 22 reps on the bench.
    Brown started his career at Tennessee in 2009, where he rushed for 460 yards and three touchdowns on 101 carries as a freshman. He transferred to Kansas State to reunite with his brother, linebacker Arthur Brown, a top prospect for the 2013 NFL Draft. Three games and three carries into his Kansas State career Brown left the program. Unlikely to be selected at any point in next month's draft, Brown is sure to get an invitation to camp this summer based on his awesome natural talent.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz1rV7YNJvP
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,663 Messages
    5,818 Likes Received

Lonyae Miller ran a 4.43 at 6' 221 in 2010. He was signed by Dallas as a UDFA.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,520 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Does anyone remember him from his time at Tennessee? Did it look like he had a lot of talent? I imagine he must have been pretty good to put up 400 yards as a true Freshman but then his career fell off the rails.

I wouldn't invest a draft pick in him. I'd be okay with inviting him to camp but he'd need a year on the practice squad to pick up a pro offense after an absence like that. There is no way we'd let him on the field and trust him to protect Romo. If he looked really good we could maybe keep him on the roster as a KR and PR. Tanner could use some competition and we need some extra camp bodies.

Who knows - the kid may still have it. IMO, you can run with the football or you can't. No one can really teach you. It is all the other parts of his development that he has missed out on - blocking and receiving.
  5. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,478 Messages
    2,895 Likes Received
    The guy sounds messed up in the head, just leaving the football program like that really makes me question his heart and desire for the game.

We already have enough guys on this team that are lacking in the desire department, we dont need to be adding any more.

Just saying.
  6. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I think the biggest thing that he's got going for him is that despite all of his troubles, he is still only 20yrs old. Some team's going to invite him into camp thinking that he's young enough and still impressionable enough to turn his life around.
  7. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    I'd bet money he goes undrafted.
  8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,851 Messages
    2,335 Likes Received
    no, we cant take him in the second because he is not injured ;)
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Undrafted free agent at best. The reason he left K-State is he was unhappy because he couldn't get higher than 3rd string on the depth chart.
  10. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Great upside! Plenty of tread on the tires!
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,837 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    UDFA at best. Bring him in and let him try out. You never know. Might have someone like Vince Papale.
  12. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,086 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Has he had any off the field issues?
  13. kazzd58

kazzd58 Member

149 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    here's a highlight of his freshman yr @ TN...once Lane Kiffin left for USC he transferred after the Spring to Kansas State....

http://youtu.be/fbaHVnLgYS4
  14. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I remember when the recruiting gurus had brown rated higher than Trent Richardson coming out of high school. I realized then he was all hype because he was not that big and played against a low level of competition.
    He and his brother (who was a lber a year older) are two of the most overrated, overhyped recruits to come out in years!
    He was never as good as advertised and had all kinds of attitude issues, handler issues, etc.
    I wouldn't touch him even as a fa.
  15. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,127 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    His youtube video looks pretty good to me, looks like he brings the load. Looks like a decent receiver too. If this guy has his life straightened out I have no issues picking him up later in the draft. Most of the late round picks are are crapshoots anyway.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,385 Likes Received
    I'd be more curious if got drafted at all, let alone in rd 1.
  17. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I have a feeling his next signing bonus will be his lowest one.
  18. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,520 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    He has decent but not great speed for a RB (mid 4.4s would be my guess).

He has decent vision on those runs - they aren't all daylight type runs.

He can make moves between the first and second levels which not everyone can in that tight of a space. He runs under decent control in hole.

He has a lot of agility to scrape through small holes but doesn't have elite balance.

He has some power and is willing to put this shoulder down and run through a LB or Safety when he needs a yard. On one of his earlier goal line runs he ran through two people for the TD.

He is a very good receiver. He can run downfield routes, he can catch the ball cleanly on the move and he is excellent at catching swing passes.

I see a kid with a lot of talent. I'd be happy to invest a 6th or 7th rounder here. Most such picks never make it in the league and he might not either but he definitely has big league ability. I don't know if he can overcome his mental issues to become a quality player but he didn't flame out because he is overwhelmed by the talent at the collegiate level. He was a step above most of the other guys on the field even as a freshman.

He actually reminds me quite a bit of Jamaal Charles who probably should have been drafted in the first round (my pet cat from the 2008 draft along with Ray Rice).
  19. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,520 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    If he can get his head on straight he has a ton of ability - first round ability, IMO. He could have been the second RB drafted if he had stayed in school and played up to his ability.

I wonder what his body is like now 2.5 years later - he should have filled out a bit if he kept on training.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,837 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received

one factor in his favor is the very low mileage. So many RBs come out with up to 1000 carries already before the pros. A back only has so many in him.