1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: RB Coach on what went wrong with Cowboys 2012 running game

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 13, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    May 13
    11:00
    AM CT
    By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Gary Brown, the new running backs coach, offered his thoughts on what went wrong.

"We just left a lot of yards out there," Brown said. "I think a lot of guys just wanted to hit home runs more than get those yards that may be ugly, so to speak. We left a lot of yards out there, and I think they understand that. I think we're going to try and do a great job of getting those yards they left out there."

Brown said the Cowboys value fullback Lawrence Vickers, who is recovering from back surgery, and another year under offensive line coach Bill Callahan should improve things.

"The reason the run game was the way it was last year is a combination of things," Brown said. "We all didn't do the best we could possibly do. The key is to be the best we can be and get that thing going."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...ng-game-looked-for-too-many-home-runs-in-2012
  2. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,014 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    sounds like more empty excuses......real reason, Offensive line that couldn't make holes or move the defensive line off the line of scrimmage...and a headcoach/offensive coordinator that was infatuated with passing the ball 67% of the time..
  3. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

550 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    I disagree with Gary. Sure there were some yards left on the field but the bulk of the blame for the running game struggles falls on the shoulders of the OL and Jason Garrett.

Can't blame the RBs for getting hit in the backfield, less than a second after taking the hand off. That's on the OL.
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I didn't know Vicker's had back surgery in the offseason.

That doesn't sound too promising for a FB. I wonder if he can still be effective as a lead blocker. I figure that is about as bad a position of the football field as there is for a player with all those high impact collisions with LBs.

I still hope they can turn that Stewart kid from Cumberland who couldn't line up into a HB but he probably needs a year on the PS. He has great strength, good size and some receiving skills so I hope he can do it.
  5. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,215 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    I'm curious.

How Garrett.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    Posted it in News Zone two weeks ago - http://cowboyszone.com/forums/dallascowboys.php?t=255712&highlight=vickers

Looks like he'll be back in time for TC.
  7. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

550 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Play calling and not putting an emphasis on developing a running game.

It's no secret that Garrett is pass happy.
  8. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,215 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    How much of an emphasis can you really put on the running game 2-3 yards at a time?

Garrett's not perfect, but I'd rather him not bang his head against the wall then with a go nowhere run game.

If Frederick pans out I think that changes.
  9. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,153 Messages
    619 Likes Received
    Haha so you guys expected the RUNNING BACKS COACH to point the finger at another unit instead of talking about what his guys could've done better?
  10. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,834 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    I always thought he tried to establish the run early, and by half time we were down because it wasn't working. Come second half we opened up the passing game because we couldn't run and started to come back.
  11. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,414 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I think a big issue is Garrett's running game calls for the Back to run right up the middle 80% of the time. As if there aren't any other designed running plays to call. How often have we run a counter in the last 2-3 years? For some reason we hardly ever call Slants, and our running game is right up the gut. I don't get it.
  12. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,048 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    I think Murray definitely left a few yards on the field by cutting towards instead of away from tacklers on occasion. I'm still a big fan, though.
  13. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,965 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Injuries...........

Wow the list keeps getting longer the more you look into it...

Bah!! It's the coaches fault.....
  14. Big D

Big D Well-Known Member

2,212 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    It seemed to me the past few seasons in the few instances that the run game appeared to be working we went away from it. I tend to agree with those who say we don't run the ball enough but when your center is consistently playing 2-3 yds behind the rest of the line I can see why Garrett would shy away. I'm hoping Frederik can solve the problem.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,040 Messages
    3,957 Likes Received
    Kind of a cop out on Brown's part. They should have pressed him for an actual answer to the question. It's a worthwhile topic. "We just left a lot of yards out there" and 'it was a combination of things' really isn't any explanation at all.
  16. Slamman

Slamman New Member

17 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I completely agree. Brown really said nothing. In fact, I'd say he's 100% wrong in what he did say. If anything, DeMarco Murray fights too hard for the extra yardage. It would be nice if he just told the truth... "we need to get better blocking from the offensive line, RBs need to be patient and trust that the holes will open, we cant have stupid presnap penalties that put us behind in down and distance, and for the love of Pete... we can't abandon the run game."
  17. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,623 Messages
    1,431 Likes Received
    Our run blocking was terrible at BEST - no excuses. If it doesn't get any better - we will end up in the same place.
  18. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,240 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    Also attacking the outside, we had the speed to get there, yet we rarely went there. Attacking the outside makes a defense adjust and opens up the inside. It can alter defensive alignment, and make safeties and LB's slower to plough inside.
  19. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

1,839 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    Dallas was what, 31st in rushing. Very bottom of the league. And yet, we "just left yards out there". Oh, REALLY?
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,672 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    Uh, yeah. He basically gave alot of baseless, empty answers. Hopefully he has an actual plan other than "Do the best we can possibly do."

It probably has a lot to do with his injuries, but DeMarco has never looked like a guy that ran a 4.3 at the combine. He usually ends up cutting towards tacklers because he starts getting caught. It's incredibly rare to see him get the corner and just straight outrun someone, he plays more like a power back.