1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Read Option

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yuma Cactus, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Watching SF/SEA/WAS excel with the read option I believe most teams will spend some time working on defensing it in Training Camp. Likely only SEA and Was did any real work against it in camp in 2012. It is a copy cat league and I'm sure there will be more teams trying a form of it and drafting QB's who can run it in the future.
    Will it go the way of the Wildcat, or evolve into a more dominant force NFL wide?
    IMO it will go the way of the wildcat after the spotlight of success shines on it and Defenses teach to stop it more than a few days before they play a team that runs it.
  2. Titleist

Titleist Well-Known Member

719 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Just a fad that will pass after a year or two like the Wildcat. There is no substitute for a pocket passing.
  3. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I think it will stick around for a little while. San fran and seattle seem to have a good balance with it. They don't run it all the time like the foreskins do. If its just a sub set in the play book i think it can work.
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,954 Messages
    1,991 Likes Received
    It will stick around. But teams will have the film to break it down. This is basically the first yr teams have ran in exclusively. Next yr im willing to bet these players numbers go down. And their mistakes go up
  5. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,133 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Johnny Manziel Is gonna dominate in the NFL.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,029 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  7. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,954 Messages
    1,991 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
  8. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,603 Messages
    733 Likes Received
    It's the perfect offense.

The way the rules have been set up to protect QBs they almost have an unfair advantage over the d.

also the QB slide should be removed from the rule books if these guys are gonna be used in that manner.
  9. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    I hope so. I HATE seeing that crap in the NFL. Feels like I'm watching college (I love cfb btw). But with my luck the NFL with wussify the game even more making that crap even more feasible.

Oh, and I think the whole "Slide rule" should be negated if the QB is running the ball off a DESIGNED running play. None of that sliding feet first crap if you want to run the option.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,462 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    Defenses will adapt quickly.
    Btw, 4-3 and zone are both better equipped to defend it
  11. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    The 49ers are about to win a Super Bowl running the read option pistol formation offense. This offense is the future of the nfl due to the post snap ability to read defenses that it gives qbs. Impossible to stop
  12. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,135 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    I agree. There's a reason we made a philosophical change in our schemes.
  13. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    How do defenses adapt to this? And a zone defense being run will give you more Alfred Morris 200 yard 3 TD performances. QBs will hand off over and over and take the easy 5 to 7 yards
  14. Yuma Cactus

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    I guess you missed the week 16 beatdown the Buzzards gave the Whiners. IMO it is because Seattle has played against the read option every day..... I'm thinkin' that Breakable Bob might have other ideas about "unstoppable".
  15. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,133 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    U watch. Manziel runs this offense ridiculously well. He is an accurate arm. And scrambles and runs faster than any of these dudes.
  16. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,723 Messages
    900 Likes Received
    We should sign the originator of the read option, Vince Young so we can practice against it all through camp. Somehow having Orton as the scout QB running it is not quite the same.
  17. Yuma Cactus

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Johnny Football, IMO will be hindered by the same thing I see in R2D2's future......."PAIN"... Clubber Lang voice.
  18. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,932 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    It'll be interesting to see how Manziel is ranked as a pro prospect. Guys like Kaepernick and Newton have that ideal build to take hits. The smaller guys, Vick and RGIII, tend to wear down.
  19. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    IMO it's not going anywhere. Most colleges are running some kind of option/spread offense. There just won't be many true pocket passers left. And with that many QBs/RBs around it won't matter as much if they get hurt.
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    Don't they niners have to GET To the superbowl first?

And if this is the future of the NFL, I'll simply stop watching. It's not entertaining to me. I like pure pocket passers. Not a gimmicky offense that forces defenses to leave average WRs and TE's wide open, inflating the QB's numbers cuz he's able to punt one up to him cuz he's so freakin' open. I want to see a skillful PASSER play on sundays. Not the read option.