1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Read Option

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yuma Cactus, Jan 12, 2013.

1. NIBGoldenchild

NIBGoldenchild Active Member

958 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    This is exactly the dilemma defensive coordinators are having trouble with. I think the best way to defend it isn't a scheme to switch to, but for everyone to do their assignments correctly. A scheme with balance isn't overly reliant on aspect or another to be effective, therefore there is no gimmick to exploit.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,605 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Man, I love me some read option.

We can snag one of those athletic QB's in the 3rd round, and viola! Done.

I would be jumping cartwheels. :)
  3. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,010 Messages
    1,203 Likes Received
    It isn't really stubbornness they're showing as much as a learned response. They have seen so many "fads" come and go in football that they are expecting it to happen.

Will it? We don't know yet. There have been a few things that stick, but overall, the game hasn't changed that terribly much since the advent of the forward pass.

This could stick. Or not.
  4. NIBGoldenchild

958 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I wasn't aware that college defenses had caught up to it yet. Schools like Nevada and Baylor are still running up the score in a lot of games. The only times I've seen it slowed down is in instances where a mid-level school has vastly inferior talent to one of the bigger universities, and not consistently. Something that isn't of much use in the NFL with much closer talent disparities.
  5. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,010 Messages
    1,203 Likes Received

Well, let's hope your team is also dumb enough to think defenses won't catch up to it at all this offseason.
  6. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    if this offense is truely unstoppable, then there should be a lot of teams installing it in the offseason, lets see what happens.
  7. NIBGoldenchild

958 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    But that is just showing a lack of understanding of what you're seeing. The read option isn't relying on one aspect more than another. So what is there to exploit? The quarterback still has to throw accurate passes in order for it to be productive. The wildcat and wishbone fail in today's game because of the lack of a passing game.

You really don't even need to have as dynamic runner as a Kaepernick, Griffin or Wilson to do it, it could be ran by some pocket passers as well, just when the QB chooses to keep it they won't get as many yards.
  8. NIBGoldenchild

958 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    My team will likely use it less as they improve the roster to have an even more balanced attack.

I don't think college coaches are dumber than NFL coaches. If it hasn't been figured out where it has been used longer than one season, what makes you believe NFL coaches will figure it out within the next six months?
  9. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,160 Messages
    558 Likes Received
    I agree with this, particularly if they somehow change the slide feet first rule for QB´s when they are running the option.
  10. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,240 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Its a talent thing as well. A defense with a great front 7 will have better success against read option teams then a defense with mediocre talent.

I doubt the Shanahans will be sitting around and not adjust, tweak, adapt, etc in the offseason and instead just take a long vaca to Mexico.

Defenses will make adjustments and offenses will counter adjust. As Trent Dilfer said it puts a defense in such "conflict" with its reads and also eliminates the numbers advantage a defense has in the box.

Do you play the run tight? Well then you have a Thanksgiving game where RG3 is throwing wide open TDs to Robinson and Paul.

Do you drop back and cover the middle and prevent the deep play action ball? Sure you can do that, but Alfred Morris will get 200 yards and 3 TDs.

Do you take your chances and just let the Qb run the ball? Ok, but then Colin Kaepernick is gonna get nearly 200 yards rushing and will blow you out.

I am very interested to see what defenses do to respond. They thus far haven't been able to do much, but this innovation, as well as the response to it, will be very entertaining to watch.
  11. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,010 Messages
    1,203 Likes Received
    It is the way anything works when it is sprung on the rest of the NFL. Year one is when the new tactic works best, and then defenses slow it down from there. That has been established time and time again.

I can see you arguing against it being just a fad that defenses shut down... what I can't see is you arguing against defenses figuring better ways to slow it down after having seen it and had plenty of time to work on it. You know this will happen.

It has already happened a little as the year wore on and defensive coordinators have had time to digest it a little.

Try to convince yourself that it is some magical thing that defenses just can't stop if you want. Daydream all you wish that, unlike anything that has ever popped up in football, it can't be slowed down.

Just don't try to make the people who understand football do it.
  12. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,892 Messages
    868 Likes Received
    NFL wants offense, like college. They could care less about solid defense. The rules already favor running this offense, so it could stick around. Of course, they also don't want star QBs getting hurt. They were about to run Shanahan out of DC last week. So, who knows?
  13. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,241 Messages
    1,151 Likes Received
    Like tebow?
  14. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    31 Likes Received
  15. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,043 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    I don't think so. Defenses will study it and coach the players the proper technique to defend it, but the read-option will still be a threat if you have the right personnel to run it. It's going to be very interesting to watch the next 1-2 seasons.

My personal opinion is defenses will have better success next season but i still think some NFL teams will be able to successful use the read-option to a degree.
  16. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,963 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    San Fran can run any offense they want with that Oline.
  17. links18

8,892 Messages
    868 Likes Received
    As long as Alex Smith isn't the QB......
  18. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,963 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    they almost made the Super Bowl with him last year.
  19. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,010 Messages
    1,203 Likes Received
    I'm sure they will try but the big trick has already been sprung on the rest of the NFL. It's the conundrum that the Pistol causes that defenses have to work on. That isn't going to change over the summer.

It does, and that is what D coordinators will be working on.

You have a Thanksgiving game when there are mental breakdowns, DB's slipping and a new kind of offense that you only had 2 days to prepare for.

You have that happen when half your defense is brought in off the street and in addition to that, is ill prepared.

Look, I'm not saying that the Pistol is going away... or that it is staying. All I'm saying is that we all know defenses will find ways to better defend against it and that the pistol's period of maximum effectiveness was in year 1, when nobody expected it and when they did, didn't have time to figure out what to do against it.

IMO, the 43 defense is better suited to play against that kind of offense, and Dallas has already made that switch. Defenses are already working on things to slow it down. It is crazy to think all the d coordinators in this league aren't going to find ways to slow it. Note, I said slow it... not stop it.

The Pistol will still work, but not like it did this season. The question is, when its effectiveness goes down, will offenses keep using it instead of more conventional methods?

My guess is that teams with good QB's who are effective throwing the ball probably won't use it except as a change of pace, and teams with running QB's who aren't as good throwing might continue to use it more.

No you don't, and if Green Bay had played with any kind of discipline on the perimeter of their defense, Kaepernick wouldn't have done anything close to what he did running. He still would have gotten the Pack's defense with his arm however. That isn't in question though. Passing is here to stay, and we know that.

Indeed.
  20. links18

8,892 Messages
    868 Likes Received
    Tell that to Harbaugh.....