1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Read Option

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Yuma Cactus, Jan 12, 2013.

1. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,879 Messages
    1,864 Likes Received

Then teams better be 5 deep at QB, because once the defenses have an off season to figure this out, they won't last long....and it only take one defensive genius to figure it out, then all teams will copy it...

The QB will go down, and go down hard...on clean hits...
  2. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,049 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    In 2000-2001 how many people were running the spread offense? If Rich Rodriguez is credited with inventing it, where did Vick learn it, from Tommy Bowden at Tulane or Clemson? Vick's coach in college was Frank Beamer, for crying out loud, a defensive guru and a 4-4 disciple.

Option plays, yes. The option is as old as Don Faurot. The zone read out of the spread? Almost certainly not. It wasn't that common when Vick came out of college.

D-
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I think it is here to stay.

What is not talked about is how rookie contracts and such are working out for QBs. In the past, GMs didn't want their 100 million dollar rookie QB doing it cause of that mountain of money. Now that they have less resources in the position, its not like you can't draft another one.

QBs are coming out more prepared and I really don't think they are as irreplaceable as they used to be. Now, you would much rather have the 15 year type, but if that read option guy never develops anything else in his game then you could easily just dump and replace him.

The NFL can change and it bout time we actually start to look at it instead of just sticking to ol' school thought processes.
  4. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,608 Messages
    2,485 Likes Received
    I would tell my linemen that if the fake is in front of them and they are not sure then plow the QB. No cheap hits but if you have to guess guess such that the QB gets hit.

If the NFL picks up on this and Goodell does not turn it into laundry day then the read/option will not last. I believe that it is not lost to the NFL that one of the more dynamic prospects to come out in the last decade has a roached knee and runs this system.
  5. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    The read option is only successful with a very good conventional running game. WASH, SEA, and SF all possess that this year that contributed to their success. Without a good running game OLBs will not bite as much on the inside fake and they will stay diciplined on the outside edges.

Green Bay's LBs were spooked on the running game (Gore) and was caught slipping on the oustide containment. Not to mention Capers plan of bringing in fire blitzes with man to man coverage created alot of running space down field with DBs backs turned covering WRs. The difference between the Vikings QB last week and Kap this week is Kap can throw in the pocket.
  6. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Vick and Vince Young was missing an element essential of a read option offence success. They are not accurate passers.
  7. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    2 things that I think might work against the R/O.
    1. DE/OLB always take a direct path to the QB.
    2. Run stunts so the QB "reads" the DE/OLB crashing but an ILB/DT is looping out to in effect give a false "read".
    Either way hit the QB as often and as hard as you can.
  8. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Yeah decking the QB every time they do it will end it. Noone will want their QB taking that many hits cause they do add up for the game, and if they see him out there getting killed they will stop doing it.

If he wants to run, treat him like a running back and if he wants to slide, make him slide in the backfield. I saw what the 9er fan said about teams having a good running game being more effective with it, problem is their effectiveness is increased greatly by the run option so of course they run well.

Deck the QB, and you don't have to worry about him running.
  9. slaga

slaga Member

214 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    The offense will use the FB to loop around the DE and block your ILB/DT. The DE is not blocked at all. He takes himself out of the play.
  10. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,139 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    College ball is pumping out read option qb's like the Fed is printing money. You can get a new one every year. I would suit up 3 qb's every game.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,557 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Especially if his name is D Ware. :eek::

I know he was very hurt, but he seemed very unprepared mentally to defend that play and was always out of position. Granted, RG3 is a great ball-handler, but Ware was clueless.
    That to me, reflected on Rob Byan and the staff.
  12. jayhouston12

jayhouston12 New Member

543 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    this is why i think the read option is just a fad that will pass on

i love the read option but after awhile defenses will adjust and the unblocked end will just go straight and hit the quarterback no guessing anymore, and those million dollar quarterbacks will take too many shots

will the read option work if a team like the skins, 9ers run it for years? I think so but do they want their quarterback in the dirt 5 times a game, along with sacks and other pressure
  13. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,203 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    I agree. We can snag a R/O QB late in the draft. I want one !!!
  14. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,203 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    Yep ... even if it leads to a penalty. Have the DE head straight for the QB and put a helmet into his chest regardless if he has the ball or not.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Not true. As a running QB, both were much better. Neither were what I would call accurate but both were better throwing on the run then they were completing passes in a traditional drop back offense.
  16. ABQCOWBOY

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    No. I understand the design of the read option but, you can not account for everything the defense will do. Things break down and your QB is going to get hit. It's the NFL. If your QB gets hit, he's going to get hurt. I mean, that's really what it comes down to.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received

Right, and the Defense is not just rushing up the field in designated passing lanes either. Defense gets paid to play football too. You can't know what a defense will do to counter you. You may depend on the fact that a DC will devise a game plan to hit you as much as possible. This is not new stuff. We've seen QBs try to run this for years. It's not as if this is new this year. What always happens? You get your QB killed.

I'm sorry, I don't agree.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received

I recall. In fact, I also remember Reeves wanting to get away from running as much of, what he called "Freelance", offense with Vick. In fact, that was a major issue between he and the organization and ultimately, that's what helped get him fired. Vick wanted to run this offense and Reeves wanted to move away from it and develop Vick in a more traditional offense with more of a running game dependent play action style.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    This is crazy. That offense has been around since Roger Staubach at Navy. Heck, before that. The 49ers ran a version of this with Steve Young. Doug Williams ran it as well. They have been running this in Canada since they had football in Canada. I mean, this is not new. Come on guys.

The NFL has not used it because NFL coaches know that once you lose your QB, your done.
  20. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,250 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Not true

Rich Rodriguez at Clemson was the primary inventor of the 21st century "read option" offense which he then took to WVU and had success with Pat White.

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/the-zone-read-gun-triple-option-and-the-quadruple-option

Chris Ault at Neveda invented the "pistol" formation which started in 2005

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2012/12/27/3792740/pistol-offense-nfl-redskins-rg3