1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Realistic Offseason Plan...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysLaw87, Feb 7, 2013.

1. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I don't usually get too caught up in these things, but my boss is out today and I have some time to kill... Here's my realistic offseason plan that may not blow the doors down and net us a ring in 2014, but would certainly be a great step in the right direction.

Pre-Free Agency:

1) Cut RT Doug Free (designate June 1)
    - Welp, this is easy. Free up (get it?) 7M in cap space this year. We'll be looking for younger/cheaper alternatives to either compete with Parnell for the RT job, or with Weems for the "swing" tackle spot on game day. I'll say, I have hope for Parnell. The fact that he's only played OT for a couple full seasons and he filled in admirably for Tyron at LT and competed neck-and-neck with Free at RT those last few games is impressive for such an inexperienced player. I think he has the physical tools and work ethic (I hear he's at VR every day working out... one of the hardest workers on the team) to be at least a solid RT for us.

2) Cut OG Nate Livings (designate June 1)
    - Livings wasn't good, and doesn't fit our scheme. The Callahan-influenced rushing attack we're about to see is one that relies heavily on the zone blocking scheme. This requires quicker, more athletic OL that can get into position to wall off defenders, get to the perimeter, and to the 2nd level. Livings is more of a drive-blocker that excels in a booth.

3) Cut LB Dan Connor
    - Also easy. He's overpaid and underperforms. He simply doesn't have the speed Monte wants in his LB's. I think we're fine letting the bigger/faster/younger/cheaper candidates (Albright and Wilber) duke it out for the starting SOLB spot.

4) Extend QB Tony Romo- 5 years, 62.5M
    - We simply have a better chance to go all the way by supporting Romo with more help, rather than find his replacement and start from near scratch IMO. He hasn't had a good OL in a few seasons. When he has (2007, 2009), he's been very good. We also need to spread his cap impact over more years. No brainer. And I think the 14.5M/year average is about right. The very top guys are getting around 20M/year... with Flacco, Ryan and others outperforming him this year (in wins mostly), I don't think he's got more leverage than this number suggests.

5) Restructure Carr, Miles, Ware, Witten
    - Free up a little room. But just a little. Let's not push too much money back so as to hinder our ability to do things in the future. The NFL Salary Cap is expected to jump in 2014, however, so I'm not at all opposed to doing this.

6) Franchise DE Anthony Spencer
    - I have no interest in signing a 29-year old to a 12M/year contract. I also have no interest in losing a guy as good as Spencer for nothing. So franchise him and try to work a reasonable extension (5 years, 40M), but if that can't happen (and I don't expect it to), then at least we can leverage a bit from a team that wants him bad enough. There are a bunch of team transitioning to a 3-4 and Spencer would be a MAJOR get for them. I don't think a team like New Orleans would be phased by parting ways with a pick or 2 for the chance at signing him.

Free Agency:

1) OG/C Ryan Lilja- 4 years, 12.5M
    - Here's a guy with extensive starting experience at both OG and C for the Colts and Chiefs. He's missed just 3 games in the last 5 years with 111 career starts. He's not big (6'2, 290) or young (31) but his price tag isn't huge and he offers lots of versatility, comfort in a ZBS, and veteran leadership. Where I'd play him would be dependent on the draft and what seems to fit right early on in camp.

2) DE Michael Johnson- 6 years, 54M
    - This is a stud. This is also very close to (or equal to) Spencer money. But the guy is 3 years younger, has played in a 4-3 at DE at a very high level, and has incredible length at the position (6'7") that is crucial for stringing out the read option we'll see so often in our division. I would simply rather give Johnson the money over Spencer.

Draft:

- On draft day, we trade Spencer to New Orleans for their 3rd and 4th round picks (#75 and #106 overall).

1(18)- Shariff Floyd DT Florida
    2(37)- TRADE (#47 + #106)- Johnathan Cyrien S FIU
    3(75)- Justin Pugh OT/OG Syracuse
    3(80)- Tank Carradine DE Florida State
    4(111)- Mike Gillislee RB Florida
    5, 6- BPA

Thoughts?
  2. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,014 Messages
    1,317 Likes Received
    I agree with most of those...but there's no way Romo sings for that little. That's just not current QB money anymore.
  3. CowboysLaw87

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I actually fudged up the math. I intended and even mentioned 14.5M/year but accidentally said 62.5M, which would be 12.5M/year.

So 5 years, 72.5M was what I wanted. Still might be a bit low, but seriously don't know why he'd be able to leverage more. Very difficult to argue he's a top 10 QB at this point, and when the Bradys/Mannings/Brees are making around 20M, I can't imagine he'd get much more than maybe 16M/year tops.

Not really the point though, because the reported money is really just the maximum potential money, which most guys don't see.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    You might want to start over with your free agency plan.

Signing a retired player for a 4 year contract might be a bit of a problem.
  5. CowboysLaw87

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Ah crap, didn't hear about that. Well, may as well disregard then.
  6. AmericanCowboy

AmericanCowboy Active Member

149 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Why Sign Michael Johnson if you want to keep Spencer? Thats way to much money locked up in our DE
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    I believe the point was to franchise and trade Spencer.

Honestly that is a huge risk as there is no assurances you would get a team to bite, especially getting a franchise tag AND have to give up multiple draft choices.

If the idea is trade, then signing long term makes it easier to trade. If that is the case you might as well keep the player.
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,808 Messages
    2,228 Likes Received
    Not bad. The key would be being able to franchise and trade Spencer, which is a rare thing these days. I'd be all for it, if we could do it though and we had/acquired an adequate replacement for him.

The first two picks of your draft are pet cats of mine, so I really like that part of it. I like Carradine too, but I'm not sure he will be available there.

I do think we get a least 1 small, fast OLB in the draft because there are some good one's this year, they go later then their talents say they should and so are good value, and they are ideal for special teams play.

Not so sure we get rid of Livings either.

I like a lot of what you did but there are some things that I see going down differently. If I did one of these things though, people would pick apart what I think though, so nice job.
  9. L-O-Jete

L-O-Jete Member

892 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I thought it said realistic...
    The Spencer scenario is not realistic, maybe not impossible, but not realistic.
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,218 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I'm not for signing Spencer and trades just don't seem to happen in the NFL. I try and make a push for Henry Melton vs keeping Spencer. DT's are the key to Kiffin's 4-3 and Melton was a stud for Marinelli.

Agree on the cuts and extending Romo and the other deals.

FA -

Melton
    Brandon Moore
    Cheap RT

Draft -
    Jonathan Cooper
    Sylvester Williams
    Jonthan Cryptein
    Jonathan Franklin
    Williams - TE Alabama
    BPA

Starting OL - Smith/Cooper/Berny/Moore/Parnell
    Starting DL - Ware/Ratliff/Melton/Crawford
  11. CowboysLaw87

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Not much of a risk, because you can release a player of his franchise tag up until a certain date. If we can't find a suitor we can "untag" Spencer at no cost.

With all these teams switching to a 3-4 (Browns, Saints, Eagles), I don't see why giving up a 3rd and 4th for a premier 3-4 OLB is unrealistic when it allows a team to acquire exclusive negotiating rights to Spencer. They would acquire Spencer on the 1-year, 10.6M franchise tag and have until July to sign him to an extension, which they would obviously have no trouble doing because they would've already laid the groundwork on the deal with Jordan Woy before pulling the trade.
  12. CowboysLaw87

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Cyprien is more likely to go in the 1st than the 3rd IMO. Other than that, I'm pretty much on board. I don't think we'll get Melton signed, but wouldn't be upset about it either. Love Jonathan Cooper, so that's a big plus.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,456 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    Cutting Livings would cost you money which is just goofy. Right now he's our best OG. Hopefully not by season's start but he's not bad and definitely not 'pay him to go away' bad. He will almost certainly get released in 2014 when his base actually rises above peon pay.

Romo will command 100m. Figure 6 years at 100. That's 16.67m per and about right for him. He is darn sure going to get paid as a top 10 QB. He may never see the final 60m of that money but he'll sign for it.

I disagree with others on Spencer. I think tagging and trading him is very realistic. Dallas would be braindead to simply let him walk for nothing. Especially since they are signing guys anyway and thus can expect little to no compensation in 2014 for the guy leaving.

Tyrone Crawford was our r3 last year. Anyone have an issue trading him to Chicago for Henry Melton? That's how other teams would feel about trading an r3 for Spencer.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,456 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    That's not true.

Signing him means upon trade all his cap escalators hit. We'd never be able to do that. BUT we can tag him, let him negotiate with any team he likes; then agree to accept less than the exclusive rights claim for pulling our tag. The other team would agree because they'd have a deal in place and be paying below ERFA price.
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,270 Messages
    4,817 Likes Received
    If he signs the Franchise tag, then you can't rescind it. You either have to pay him or trade him. If you can't trade him, then you're stuck paying him.

You would have to sign Johnson before the draft. If Spencer signed the tag, then you would have to pay both of them if a trade did not work out.

If Dallas can get picks by Franchising Spencer, then wouldn't Cincinnati Franchise Johnson and try to get picks for him also?
  16. xwalker

12,270 Messages
    4,817 Likes Received
    Chiefs G/C Ryan Lilja announced Monday that he's retiring from the NFL.
    The former Colt just wrapped up his ninth year in the NFL, and third with the Chiefs. Aside from missing all of 2008 with a knee injury, Lilja had missed just three games since 2006. That, coupled with the fact that he played at a high level for a moribund team this season makes his decision mildly surprising. However, he'll turn 32 in October, and is clearly interested in getting out of the league while he's still ahead. Lilja was headed toward free agency, so the Chiefs may have had a hole to fill on their interior line regardless. Mon, Dec 31, 2012 02:11:00 PM
  17. xwalker

12,270 Messages
    4,817 Likes Received
    Justin Pugh is a yuck pick to me.

His arms are too short for OT (31.5"). At 6-5, 301, his is thin as an OG. The Cowboys already have plenty of undersized OLinemen on the roster (Arkin, Kowalski, etc..).

Pugh got pushed around easily at the Senior Bowl.
  18. xwalker

12,270 Messages
    4,817 Likes Received
    There is no need to cut Livings prior to Training Camp. You need to be certain that you can come out of TC with sufficient replacement players at the position before cutting him.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,456 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    The Bengals likely tag either Andre Smith or Michael Johnson.
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    :hammer:

Don't know why people want to get rid of Livings but not Berny when Livings was > Berny.

Unless they're assuming Berny moves to Center.