1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Really Not Liking Pick #9

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Teague31, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    I just read three different mocks. They had us taking JJ watt, Tyron Smith and Costanzo. Yikes. I sure hope we get some offers to trade down cause any of these three would be a disaster at 9.
  2. egn22

egn22 Well-Known Member

878 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    ive heard nothing but great thing about Tyron Smith. Regarding Watt and Costanzo, all of the mocks i've seen have them going later in the round. I keep hearing Cam Jordan's name and I think there might be something to that. Personally, unless someone like P.Peterson falls into our lap, i'd like to trade for a later 1st round, and an earlier 2nd round pick.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    Smith is a project; he will need at least a year or more to get big enough and strong enough to play well at tackle. And that is not sure thing. You do not take a project at #9. Same with peterson- switching him to safety would be a project.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    If it were next year, Smith would probably be a top 5 pick. His problem is he needs 15lbs of muscle and needs it now. It sucks because if he turns into a franchise left tackle, it will be for someone other than the Cowboys.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    The draft never goes according to planned.

Someone is going to make the "what the heck are they doing" pick and next thing you know Dallas will have 2 or 3 guys to draft that they have no business drafting @ 9.

Just last year we had absolutely no business getting a Blue Chipper like Dez. You see this every year.
  6. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,513 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    We'll mave options Prince, Dareus or Miller will be there at 9. They would all be good picks.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    Prince @ 9 would suck.. Dareus is a good player but 9th pick on a 3-4 end? ugghh

Miller... Who knows about that guy.

Trade doooown.
  8. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,136 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    Von Miller at 9, to me, is our best case scenario. The reason why? I think he can be a "Joker" in our defense and a serious play-maker. But maybe more important is the fact that NE needs and wants a pass-rusher more than anything. 17 and their 2nd, 2nd round pick would be a nice package to consider.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,304 Messages
    1,253 Likes Received
    I'd take Miller in a heart beat.
  10. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Watt was dominant in the bit 10 this year. If he tests good then I wouldn't be surprised to see him shoot up to top 10 status.
  11. TheFinisher

2,513 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    Prince can be a shutdown corner in the NFL, unless you want to keep seeing our secondary get torched he would be a very good pick @9.

Dareus is one of those 3-4 Ends you DO spend a top 10 on, he's not just a run plugger. Darues is extremely disruptive in the running game AND he is a dominant interior rusher. Difference maker on the inside.

Miller is a playmaker, what more do you need to know about him? He can play any of the LB spots and Rob can use a guy like that to turn our pass rush up another 10 notches.

Those guys are all ready to come in and be difference makers on defense from day 1, and all have pro-bowl/all-pro potential.
  12. TheFinisher

2,513 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    Absolutely, give me as many playmakers as possible on defense.
  13. Cover 2

Cover 2 Pessimists Unite!!!

3,132 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Same here. I'm surprised he's not more highly thought of. Every time I watched Wisconsin he always stood out for being disruptive.
  14. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.......trade down and take Carimi: bye bye Colombo:D
  15. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,732 Messages
    1,252 Likes Received
    I'm with you.

Do NOT draft Dareus in the top 10. He takes too many plays off. Prince is slow as a corner and Miller underwhelmed me when I saw him play.
  16. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,796 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Yeah that's is true and another thing to note is that in 2003 the Cowboys had no business drafting Witten, in the 3rd round when he was the #1 ranked TE in that entire draft so those type picks you mentioned will happen.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,058 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    A lot of people got cute that year and took a bunch of TE's before Witten...

Eagles chose LJ Smith. Couldn't believe it.
  18. ringmaster

ringmaster Well-Known Member

1,796 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    The Colts had the opportunity to draft Witten, in the 1st round but chose Dallas Clark instead not a bad pick at all with the career he's having in Indy when he's healthy.

The mock drafts are what they are and we really don't know who is going to go where until the combine and pro days are completed some picks does make you scratch your head sometimes like when the Dolphins in the 2007 draft took Ted Ginn Jr with their #9 pick in the 1st round.

As you said alot of teams will get cute and draft players for the sake of drafting them.
  19. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Watt is exactly what that Defense needs. He plays MEAN. I don't know about him at #9 though. Dallas could probably trade down and nab him.
  20. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,345 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    That was that idiot Cam Cameron drafting a family friend. He should have been fired the second he made that pick. That was solely done for personal reasons and not with the teams best interest.