1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Reasons to be concerned about the future

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by perrykemp, Dec 31, 2012.

1. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,104 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys cut the following guys in the offseason would you be surprised:
    • Doug Free
    • Jay Ratliff
    • Gerald Sensabaugh
    I don't think anybody would shed any tears over any of those three guys.

The #1 reason why I don't have a lot of faith in the Cowboys improving under Jerry Jones is that the front office identified all three of those guys worthy of contract extensions in 2011 (ie last year)!!!!

Think about it -- just last year the team performed their internal analysis on these guys, determined they were worth more than the alternatives, and then shelled out pretty good sized signing bonuses to each.

Beyond that, the thing that has been bothering me for a while is how frigging hard Jones went after Nnamdi in 2011 offseason. Remember the supposed fist pumping when they thought they had signed him? What a disaster that would have been had he come to Dallas. My point on Nnamdi is that the Cowboys tried the best to sign him despite all the warning signs of signing ~30 year old big time FA contracts.

On the positive side, I think they've done a pretty decent job with the draft. The problem is they've done a TERRIBLE job of evaluating their own free agents as well as unrestricted free agents.

I even look at the Carr signing in the same vein. Good player, however, Carr is not a $10m/corner. It's like hitting a finishing nail with a sledge hammer -- the spend on Carr seemed so disproportionate to the need considering they obviously had plans to go after Mo in the draft.
  2. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,029 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    I would add miles austin to that list.
  3. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,123 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    I would say Doug Free is a lock to be cut.
  4. perrykemp

6,104 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    I was just trying to focus on the terrible decisions the front office has made in the past 18 months or so -- and not to try to go to far back.
  5. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,932 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    My major concern is that if you thought the window was closing in 2012, what do you think about the window come 2013?

Moving forward, we seem to have legitimate questions about a number of our key players. Bryant and Austin are both injury prone, with Austin's time here potentially nearing its end. Our playmaking interior defensive lineman became an enigma. Our emerging star inside linebackers are injury prone. Our quarterback is 32 and we have no idea what to do with him moving forward. Our running back, the key to a Romo-friendly offense, can't stay healthy. And neither can his backup. Our defensive line needs an overhaul. Our star, Hall of Fame pass rusher is starting to see his body betray him. And the emerging standout opposite him is a free agent, but we're not quite sure if he's worth the huge money he'll command.

We have some top-notch talent on this team, but we've also latched on to a number of guys that have trouble staying healthy. And while injuries can be chalked up as a major reason we struggled this year, can't we reasonably expect a number of these same players to be impacted by their health again next season based on their history?
  6. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,932 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    How long ago was Ratliff given his insane extension? Classic Jerry move -- and that move was universally panned here when it was made if memory serves.
  7. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,603 Messages
    733 Likes Received
    How much do these guy count against the cap if cut next year?

Seems to me not having church lined up next ro him hurt Sensabaugh a lot more than expected.

I'm all for trimming the fat and under performing, but I don't think the focus should be taken off the trenches.

Which is where I feel this team is going to focus in the following months.
  8. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,029 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    If ratliff is the startin NT next season I would consider it regression from where we are at this point. He is too expensive to be a rotational player im sorry.
  9. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Same here. He has 1-2 drops a game...Well, the ones his toilet-paper hamstrings allow him to play.
  10. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

121 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'm not a Jerry defender but signing Free at the time that they did was an absolute no brainer.

Please find me one post from any board that said they didn't want him back.

Sometimes players mail it in after they get paid. Maybe that's what happened to him, maybe it was Callahan, who knows?

But don't go acting like you wouldn't have been among those killing Jerry if he let Free go right after the lockout. We had ZERO capable tackles at the time.

Can't have it both ways.
  11. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,727 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Rather see him be the starting 3-technique in a 4-3 next year.
  12. perrykemp

6,104 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Sensabaugh was extended December 9 2011

Ratliff was extended September 9th 2011

Free signed his big beautiful FA contract on July 26th 2011

In other words -- all of these contacts are roughly a year to a year and half old.
  13. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Very good post.

How do the Cowboys or any franchise write contracts today that are performance based (given union involvement)? It seems to me that players try very hard under first contract to get the second big money contract...then performance trails off. So how do you change this?
  14. perrykemp

6,104 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    But why sign Free to a huge Free Agent left tackle contract and then sign a premier left tackle (Tyron) in the draft?

Makes no sense.
  15. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

I'm getting tired of watching him on the sidelines practicing for the Tour de France instead actually being on the field where he could be dropping balls for us. Like Parcells used to say, paraphrasing - "if I guy can't stay healthy he's no use to you."
  16. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,110 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    The problem with Jerry is he holds on to players too long. He's obviously too close to the players and he won't send them packing until they just completely can't play any longer....
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    I woulld add Miles Austin to that list for sure...
  18. perrykemp

6,104 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Ogletree?
  19. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,642 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    This coaching staff and roster are a bad mix. The QB is never gonna get this team over the hump. The team needs more than patches.
  20. perrykemp

6,104 Messages
    1,880 Likes Received
    Where I was going with this thread is that I am pessimistic about the future for reasons other than the coaching staff and roster.... the front office continues to make terrible decisions regarding it's own free agents as well as unrestricted free agents.

I'm curious if any of the Pro-Jerry folks here on CZ (Latinmind you around) have a different perspective on those 2011 signings and (and attempted signings with Nnamdi)?