1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: RECAP: Ed Werder with Dan Patrick on ESPNRadio...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by trickblue, Sep 27, 2006.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Werder:
    • Everbody has a lot of interests to protect here including the Cowboys, Owens and the Dallas PD.
    • The Cowboys have not eliminated the possibility of him playing on Sunday.
    • His publicist was at the house and made the call. Yesterday she was playing the role of friend, today she seems to be playing the role of publicist. Everything has been based on the DPD report. If anyone has any damage control, it is them.
    • The PC has reportedly been moved back a half hour.
    • The Cowboys are saying that all questions should be directed to Jerry Jones and not Bill Parcells during his PC. The Cowboys will release a statement later today.
    • They are now reporting that TO will speak at Valley Ranch at 3:15 eastern time.
    • No one at the DPD has denied the initial report that TO attempted to harm himself.
    • To dispel this situation, I would imagine TO and his publicist will do everything possible to have him play this Sunday.
    • I can tell you that during the offseason I spoke to high level officials at SF and Philly. Thye both told me that they felt TO had severe mental problems that needed to be addressed and he refused to do so. Patrick interjected that some one in the iggles organization told him they felt Owens was bipolar.
  2. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,291 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    Ah, so they either failed as organizations to get someone the help they needed, or they just didn't really care.

Doesn't look good either way for either organizations.
  3. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Of couse ole Ed is just bringing this up now about TO needing mental help. Good timing Eddie.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,139 Messages
    1,847 Likes Received
    Sounds like "damage control" by ESPN and their lapdog Ed Werder.

How is the burden somehow on Owens to now prove this story false?

Shouldn't the burden of proof lie with the people who ran to be the first to report a story they were unsure of?

I sumbit this question to anyone who feels it was a suicide attempt:

How is Owens out of the hospital this fast?

Why is he not under observation like a person who attempted suicide would be?
  5. Funxva

Funxva Inventor of the Whizzinator

1,685 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Not in the days of sensationalist media.

News: (3 Inch headlines)This happened!(3 Inch headlines!)
    Person: Uh no, this happened!
    John Q Public: OH the news said this happened! he must be lying... Coverup!!!! SPIN! SPIN!
    Truth: Here I am. this is what happened
    News: (3 cm headlines) Oops we were wrong.....(3 cm headlines)
    Person's Character: I've been assassinated!
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,245 Messages
    5,489 Likes Received
    What a piece of slime like Ed Werder has to contribute to this isn't worth the hot air coming out of his mouth.
  7. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,260 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Like an alcoholic or someone with a drug addiciton, you can't help someone who does not want to be helped. It is hard for a man with a lot of pride to say, 'there is something wrong with me mentally, and I need help to fix it'
  8. Funxva

Funxva Inventor of the Whizzinator

1,685 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Or it could possibly be them upset over their failures as organizations to handle their players and are getting back at him through the media.
  9. Kittymama

Kittymama Benched

2,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Absolutely! And Ed supposedly has known this all along, but JUST THIS MINUTE, chose to reveal it?!

And I love the way it's everyone else's fault--it's all damage control. The innocent media isn't driving anything on this. No sirree.

No hospital is going to release someone who's tried to commmit suicide this quickly, no matter who they are. The risk of a lawsuit is too great--especially if you've got someone with the earning potential of TO. Now the Dallas PD certainly needs to cover itself. There's no reason why that report should have been leaked, & they are looking at a potential lawsuit over it.

TO has emotional problems? Well, duh! So do most receivers. Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Antonio Bryant, Koren Robinson, the entire Bengals' receiving corps, all come to mind. Many other athletes also have mental issues. As Sultan said, that certainly didn't stop the 49ers & the Iggles from having TO on their team. Hasn't stopped the 49ers from signing AB.

Now if Ed wants to start a crusade that teams shouldn't be signing guys with mental problems, I'm all ears. I'm guessing the NFL teams wouldn't go for it--we'd probably see most rosters depleted, easily, by half. I doubt the NFLPA would be happy about it either. It's a cold simple fact that teams (football & other) are going to use players with talent & really don't care about the other issues. A guy may have the emotional maturity of a 6-year-old, but if he can produce on the field, a team will sign him. The minute he stops producing, the team will drop him. The players, sadly, are the ones who will suffer in the long run. Most of them probably aren't getting the help they need, & ultimately they're going to have to learn to get along in the real world once the adulation stops. (Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how happy Dennis Rodman is these days, or think he'll really live to old age? That's someone who's definitely not right but never got the help he needed.) It's no real surprise they try to grab as many $$ as they can. They know the teams don't really give a s*** about them. It's a business.

Frankly, ESPN is as much a part of this problem as anyone. They're the ones who created the TO-Frankenstein monster. He's colorful & grabs ratings, so they turned into a nonstop TO publicity machine when he signed with the Iggles. That entire year--TO TO TO. Then, they turned on him the next year, with sanctimonious tsk tsking--while still being all TO all the time. If Ed really has known since summer--& believes--that TO is mentally ill, then he's the biggest hypocrite of all. He should have brought that to the attention of the ESPN brass & suggested that they not exploit the TO story so much. He himself could & should have stopped with the TO stories. But he's as cynical & hypocritical as the rest--TO means ratings, means that Ed gets on TV every day. He's not going to pass that up, even if TO really is mentally ill.
  10. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What everyone's missing is this. If someone really wants to kill themselves then why deny it afterwards when unsuccessfull? So when TO supposedly tried to harm himself he was being irrational, but less than 24 hours later he is able to be perfectly rational for damage-control purposes?

I could see TO being bipolar and that having something to do with this, but deliberately trying to kil himself? I think it's dangerous to assume that without the real facts - and ESPN does not have all of the facts!

AF
  11. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,367 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    What's killer was when Wingo pointed out to Werder that they had talked to Bill Walsh and that SF recommended mental evaluations to Owens and he DID go to those sessions and then later quit out of frustration. Ed really didn't have anything to say after that.

YAKUZA
  12. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,186 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    I agree about not knowing all the facts. We've heard from those closest to Owens that he hasn't shown ANY signs of being depressed, much less suicidal. Then again, how much will they say publicly about what's really happening?
  13. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I have been informed that if the bi-Polar issue is true. Then pain medication would cause a serious adverse affect on his mental stability.
  14. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,320 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Everytime I see/hear Ed Werder I want to puke. There are several ESPN reporters that make me sick. Screamin A. Smith is another one. That guy that looks Golum from Lord of the Rings. :ralph:
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Dan Partrick said he'd been told about the suspicions of bipolar at Philly and SF, too.

So is he slime also? Just wondering.
  16. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,245 Messages
    5,489 Likes Received
    Does Patrick still work for ESPN? If so, yes.