1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: RECAP: Jerry Jones says no more high priced kickers

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TEK2000, Nov 29, 2006.

1. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Was listening to the Dunham and Miller show on 1310 The Ticket this morning and Jerry Jones said he will not go after anymore high priced kickers again and also will not spend a high draft pick on a kicker. (By high draft pick I took it to mean a first day pick)
    He said they will go back to the ways of old and stick with DEVELOPING kickers rather than spending money in FA on one or a valuable draft pick on one.

SO, one try and its over... they went after a big name kicker in Vandy and he didn't work out so now he pretty much refuses to spend any money or value on a kicker from here on out.

I guess that concludes the Mason Crosby hopes.
  2. aquavita

aquavita Member

250 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Ugh. :( Bad move by jerry in my opinion....i'm really getting sick of having to just walk away from the TV every single time we line up for a field goal.
  3. stealth

stealth Benched

4,882 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol Not hard to have seen that comning.

But honestly building kickers for the team hasn't been super duper effective.

have we ever taken a high draft kicker?
    I am not thinking we should or anything, but who in the second round would help us more than crosby?
    I can't think of a position of need other than maybe a lineman or defensive back that might help us down the road.
  4. DipChit

DipChit New Member

1,594 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    One and done huh?

Too bad he didnt do that with baseball rejects.

I mean alls well that ends well, but yeah.
  5. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    On the bright side, *IF* Gramatica is truly back to his TB form he certainly won't cost a fortune to wrap up for a couple of years, and he's only 31.
  6. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,145 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    jerry feeling that awful sting to the wallet. $2.5 mil down the toilet will do that to you i guess. hey jerry it's the holidays. tis the season to be jolly.
  7. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,184 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I dont like it, they make one mistake on a kicker and he throws in the towel. How many years and how many games have been effected by the devolpment of kickers who suck? When is the last Dallas drafted a kicker at all?
  8. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,415 Messages
    385 Likes Received
    Define "high draft pick." Also, Jerry could have a kicker in mind in the upcoming draft and lead other teams to believe that the Cowboys aren't interested in a kicker. This isn't a "read my lips, no kicker drafted with a high pick" type of political statement.

Also, Maybe Steve Hoffman, the former kicking coach will be coming back.

And if Gramatica works out(like Columbo) then problem solved! No worry.
  9. jcblanco22

jcblanco22 Active Member

1,334 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wonder if we brought Todd Peterson (former Seahawks, Falcons kicker) in for a workout at all these last few days before settling on Gramatica. He had a solid year last year and is sitting at home.
  10. braw

braw Member

765 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When we won Super Bowls in 92,93,& 95 season, we had no high priced kicker or drafted kicker. In all the 5 victories in the SB it never came down to field goal. And in the 8 SBs we have played, I have never seen where a missed field goal cost us the game.

Viniterie has made winning SBs with a kicker en vogue.
  11. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,145 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    in '93 when Lin Elliott went down the drain we signed a semi-high priced vet in Eddie Murray. so it has been done in the past.
  12. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,158 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Guess that means not to Crosby?
  13. SmashFactorGolf

SmashFactorGolf New Member

345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jerry has just got to sit back and revel in how much money he is saving on a Pro Bowl caliber qB he has a cut rate price, and how much money a trip deep into the playoffs will pay off for him............heck dont know how it stacks up, but he has probably made what Vandy cost him in sales of Romo Jerseys alone:p:

Jerry wont go hungry.....but hey he fully deserves to be making big bucko's, he is the one taking the risks.............hope he is flourishing , deserves it
  14. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think this is influenced by the success of Romo.

A big question since the aging days of Troy Aikman was whether the Cowboys would trade up in the draft or draft a blue-chip quarterback.

Jerry Jones was opposed to doing that and wanted to see if we could get quarterback help in the lower rounds or through free agency/trade; part of that theory is because it is such a crapshoot in getting one. Odds are that you would miss and then have wasted a good draft pick and/or big contract. So the idea was to try to search for bargains. It didn't work for awhile, and the one high draft pick on Quincy Carter was an enormous bust (kind of like Vanderjagt). So Jones was set on developing a player to be good at quarterback instead of breaking the team to find a franchise one.

Romo showed that theory was a resounding success.

I guess Jerry will stick with it for kickers too: try to develop a good one on the cheap, never overpay for one.

That frees us to use our high draft picks and money on other positions that are less crapshoots.
  15. DipChit

DipChit New Member

1,594 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Understand your point. In fact thats one reason I didnt have as big a beef with Vandy as some people did. For one thing you cant say he actually cost us any games and even in the Indy game I wasnt that mad with those 2 misses simply because as it was unfolding I was thinking we werent gonna win the game by settling for FG's anyway.

The thing is.. if you have a crappy kicker it doesnt matter.. until it matters. If you're good enough to get away with it never coming down to that in big games, more power to ya.
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,066 Messages
    1,920 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be surprised if it worked out that way.
  17. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    wow thats shocking news:rolleyes:
  18. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,041 Messages
    443 Likes Received
    Grammy could be here for a while. He is 31... we took andy at 36... .so maybe we have a 5 years... who knows
  19. TEK2000

TEK2000 New Member

2,152 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I did define my interpretation of what he meant by high draft pick.

He also included that they have no intention on bringing in a dedicated kick coach... siting the fact that no other NFL team had a dedicated kicking coach while Hoffman was on our staff.
  20. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Give Jones credit for learning from the Baseball reject experiments. He kept trying and trying only to learn that it was a wasted effort all along. He's now applying that learning to the Vanderjacht case and thinking "burn me one, shame on you; burn me twice, shame on me". It's a good philosophy and I'm glad Jones is subscribing to it.

AF