1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: RECAP: Press Conference 08/14/06

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by 1fisher, Aug 14, 2006.

1. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,681 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Any body else listening????

Parcells is cracking me up big time...

It's not a secret but I'm not telling you!:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

EDIT: Recap by InmanRoshi...
    Beriault is done. We signed Jason Davis puts our roster at 81 right now. Bariaults problem was his knee. He had the same exact surgery as Kalen Thornton. Its not just a repair, it was restructuring. The Dr. is optimistic about both of those kids when it comes to living a normal life. Kalen didn't respond quite as well as Justin did to the rehab. Justin responded pretty well rehab wise, but after we started it became pretty apparent that there was nothing else we could do. I told him he should never play again, and don't let anyone talk him into it.

How is Patrick's ankle?
    Still not sure, but it doesn't look like it was as bad as we thought. MRI showed he has a little fluid up there, but not all the way up. Its not as bad as what he had last year. Hopefully he'll make quicker progress, but we don't know how much. It will take longer than a couple of weeks. We have 8 wr's but its a position we certainly have to look at the position now. Its not just about numbers.

Sam Hurd?
    He played 41 plays, so obviously I'm giving him a chance. That's high for a rookie. He's aggressive and knows his position. He's got good stamina. But he dropped 2 out of 6 passes. You have to catch it more consistantly than that if you want to be in the mix. So he'll have to show that. He's done a good job in practice, but he has a flaw in his catching mechanics. He's gotten better in practice, but he went back to it in the game.

Will you have to go outside of the roster to get that position?
    I don't know if we have to do anything. We have things that people want. We know that. People have inquired. The best chance we have is maybe trade one of those, but we're a long ways from completing any of that.

Do you expect TO back today?
    I don't know.

Anyone else not practicing today?
    Spears and Boiman will be back practicing. We might hold Fowler and Carpenter a day, but I think we'll see if they can go.

You've trained players to work through bumps and bruises?

Particularly the young players, yes. I don't go about it any particular way, other than this is football season and football players play. That's what George Young used to say. Durability is part of it, so you have to try to fight through some of it. Every player on every team every year will have things they have to deal with.

Does it take time for players to figure it out?
    Its different for every kid, but if they can't show you what they can do then you can't keep them. Especially when they're young, you have to see something from them.

Who showed you something on special teams?
    Watkins.

Jerry said Owens needs to learn to practice at 70%.
    Jerry said a similar thing to me, so I know what he's talking about. I'll clear it up some for you ... When Owens goes on the field, he practices with a high intensity. What Jerry was referring to is that maybe if TO could learn to pace himself just a little bit that maybe that will lead to better consistency with him. Each player has to know his own body well enough. I haven't been around this player so i don't know him that well. I know what Terry is thinking just looking at him. The same with Witten. I can just watch them run and know how he was doing. When I was in NE, I knew when Shawn Jefferson was tired that the whole team was tired, because he had such stamina. He was used as a gage, because they'll always say they're tired.

Why don't you needle TO?
    I don't know the player, so i've been trusting the player. But I need to see something pretty soon, right now. I don't want to lose him for the season, but we're getting to the point where he will have to show me something. I told all the players that they'll all need to show me something during the preseason or they won't play.

Carpenter?
    He got stepped on the back of his foot.

Fowler?
    He tweaked his groin on Friday. I could have played him the other night, but I want him healthy. He's competing for an important job.

Will you start Romo again on Monday?
    I don't know what I'll do yet.

Why did you start Shanle and Coleman?

I wanted them to be in the game. I don't want to answer that question right now. I'll tell you in a week or two. That was a bad answer, wasn't it? I don't want to tell you something that's not true, but ... I guess its no secret.

Bradie James?
    He's doing very well. Bradie is a much improved player from when we first got him. He's a defensive leader. I think he'll be among the highest producer tackle-wise on the team. I've personally spent a lot of time with the kid. He came in the dining hall the other night, and I brought up a play with him and he knew exactly what play I was talking about and the exact technical problem I was about to bring up. He made the same thing last year, and I talked to him bout it.

Romo?
    Here is my honest feeling. Here is what I learned about him .. you have to coach him all through the game. You can't take for granted that just because things are going well early that things are going to continue going well. You have to keep him focusd on it and reminding him of things. He's a very bright kid and his mind races. He has some ideas. That big sideline sesssion where we called time out and decided to punt, he had a lot of ideas. He saved us with some scrambling. The thing I liked best were those back shoulder throws to the WR's a couple of times. We don't just sling those down there indiscriminately, those are designed things with the WR. That shows progress.

Anything he offers more than Bledsoe?
    I think he's more mobile, but on a slow Friday some time I'll give you the statistics on mobile QB's to show you where that has gone the last 5 years.

Why isn't Bledsoe starting next week?

Im pretty sure he will start, but i'm not really thinking about the preseason game right now. This is a really big week of practice we have ahead of us.

Bledsoe's job isn't up for grabs?
    No, that's clear. I know that's what you guys wanted to know, you look like a bunch of Cocker Spaniels down there.

The play where he completed to Hurd.
    Those are the one of those things where if you're going to do it, it better work.

Was Simms a guy you didn't have to coach through the game?
    Simms was a guy who eventually I didn't have to coach through the game. Drew is that way now too. But he's still a young guy. Its a good thing, I'll get Chris Palmer to talk to him in between series and its something we'll have to work on.

Who called plays?
    Tony, Todd and I was in the mix just a little bit. I'm just observing the game operations. We had a 10 point lead late in the 4th and only took a 1:08 off the clock. That's not good game management. I told them we're

Julius?
    He just played a quarter and didn't have a lot of room.

RT?
    Played two guys half of the time, and i'll do the same thing next week. You'll see guys that didn't play last game play a lot. Colombo did okay. They were all kind of okay.

The OL in the general?
    There were some good and some bad. We had 3 false starts and a hands to the face. Pass protection was alright. Run blocking ..we had some mental errors, especiallly with the young guys. I'll say that Proctor played pretty well, I will say that.

Skyler green returning?
    I thought he did a good job catching the ball. He will run up in there. The first punt return he had his high heels were on, but he did a pretty good job going north/south after that. I'm going to give him every chance to earn a spot on the team doing this. I know Newman can do it, but I would prefer this kid win the job. He has a good understanding of the game, someone trained him well. When he came after the 19 yard return I asked him what I didn't like .. he said I caught the ball backwards. I would like for him to be able to kickoff and punt return, but Im mainly focusing on punt return.

What about Green as a WR?
    First of all, he's short. He hasnt played a lot of it, because he was a quarterback in high school. He's got a lot of work to do on his routes. Could he finish out a game if I asked him to? Yeah, but I don't want someone who is just going to finish out a game, I want someone productive in there.

Have you seen something in Elam?

I was happy with the way he played on Saturday. He made a big play on a short yardage play. He was in the mix. Im nervous about having Elam and Watkins in the game at the same time, since they are both inexperienced players. I've done it before, but its not something I enjoyed.

Greg Ellis?
    He did alright.

You have an idea how players are going to do heading into that game?
    I thought our defense would play alright.

Did you have an idea how Romo would do?
    I didn't know for sure, but I've spent a lot of time to get him ready to do this. Just looking at the media's reaction, if I would have did this two years ago you guys would have called him a disaster. You got to give the kids a chance. I have a lot better idea now that he can do this. He would have not come anywhere close to what he did the other night two years ago. There's an indication now that he's on the right path to being a QB in this league.

You compared him to Cavanaugh and Rutledge, doess that mean you look at him as a backup QB?

No, I was just talking about his physical stature and the way he behaves. It doesn't mean anything about his long term value in the league.

Do you think he's a longterm starting or backup QB?

I need more information before I decide that. I'm hoping a starting QB.

Do you feel better or worse about your OL than you did before the game?
    Better, because i saw performances from a couple of guys that gives me some hope. I just mentioned one, Proctor.
  2. Kittymama

Kittymama Benched

2,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Parcells is in a really good mood today. I'm hoping that's a good sign.

And OMG--Galloway is there. The guy looks like a walking cadaver!! Seriously--what is he, about 1002? He could be starring in "Night of the Walking Dead." Just looks awful.
  3. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,938 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    InmaRoshi is getting it... it is forthcoming...
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,199 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    I am sure after reading some of the columnists talking about Romo for starter, he has had his good laugh for the morning and has started things out right.
  5. Kittymama

Kittymama Benched

2,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Parcells just pointed out that, had he thrown Romo (or Henson) in 2 years ago, the media would have been knee-jerking the way they are now--only negatively. "Oh he can't play, so get rid of him." Said that's why he's been preparing him all these years.

Someone just asked him if Romo can be a starting QB: I still need more information, but I think he can be eventually.
  6. Kittymama

Kittymama Benched

2,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Also said he was encouraged by some of the players on the OL & what they did.

Dang--he doesn't fool around! He cut that PC off the second his allotted time was up! Even cut some reporters off midstream.
  7. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,681 Messages
    19 Likes Received

Galloway looked horrible!:eek: If it weren't for his voice I wouldn't have recognized him!

Parcells responded to one question? WHat the he** do you think I'm talking about!:lmao2:
  8. Byrdman1531

Byrdman1531 Member

132 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spears, Boiman return

Carp, Fowler, Crayton out

TO still unknown
  9. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,681 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I always liked his PC's even when he was with other teams! He likes mixing it up with the media!
  10. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,317 Messages
    1,384 Likes Received
    I think Parcells had his fill last week after hearing questions like "what would winning another Super Bowl mean?

Rich......
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Bariault is done. We signed Jason Davis puts our roster at 81 right now. Bariaults problem was his knee. He had the same exact surgery as Kalen Thornton. Its not just a repair, it was restructuring. The Dr. is optimistic about both of those kids when it comes to living a normal life. Kalen didn't respond quite as well as Justin did to the rehab. Justin responded pretty well rehab wise, but after we started it became pretty apparent that there was nothing else we could do. I told him he should never play again, and don't let anyone talk him into it.

How is Patrick's ankle?
    Still not sure, but it doesn't look like it was as bad as we thought. MRI showed he has a little fluid up there, but not all the way up. Its not as bad as what he had last year. Hopefully he'll make quicker progress, but we don't know how much. It will take longer than a couple of weeks. We have 8 wr's but its a position we certainly have to look at the position now. Its not just about numbers.

Sam Hurd?
    He played 41 plays, so obviously I'm giving him a chance. That's high for a rookie. He's aggressive and knows his position. He's got good stamina. But he dropped 2 out of 6 passes. You have to catch it more consistantly than that if you want to be in the mix. So he'll have to show that. He's done a good job in practice, but he has a flaw in his catching mechanics. He's gotten better in practice, but he went back to it in the game.

Will you have to go outside of the roster to get that position?
    I don't know if we have to do anything. We have things that people want. We know that. People have inquired. The best chance we have is maybe trade one of those, but we're a long ways from completing any of that.

Do you expect TO back today?
    I don't know.

Anyone else not practicing today?
    Spears and Boiman will be back practicing. We might hold Fowler and Carpenter a day, but I think we'll see if they can go.

You've trained players to work through bumps and bruises.
    Particularly the young players, yes. I don't go about it any particular way, other than this is football season and football players play. That's what George Young used to say. Durability is part of it, so you have to try to fight through some of it. Every player on every team every year will have things they have to deal with.

Does it take time for players to figure it out?
    Its different for every kid, but if they can't show you what they can do then you can't keep them. Especially when they're young, you have to see something from them.

Who showed you something on special teams.
    Watkins.

Jerry said Owens needs to learn to practice at 70%.
    Jerry said a similar thing to me, so I know what he's talking about. I'll clear it up some for you ... When Owens goes on the field, he practices with a high intensity. What Jerry was referring to is that maybe if TO could learn to pace himself just a little bit that maybe that will lead to better consistency with him. Each player has to know his own body well enough. I haven't been around this player so i don't know him that well. I know what Terry is thinking just looking at him. The same with Witten. I can just watch them run and know how he was doing. When I was in NE, I knew when Shawn Jefferson was tired that the whole team was tired, because he had such stamina. He was used as a gage, because they'll always say they're tired.

Why don't you needle TO?
    I don't know the player, so i've been trusting the player. But I need to see something pretty soon, right now. I don't want to lose him for the season, but we're getting to the point where he will have to show me something. I told all the players that they'll all need to show me something during the preseason or they won't play.

Carpenter?
    He got stepped on the back of his foot.

Fowler?
    He tweaked his groin on Friday. I could have played him the other night, but I want him healthy. He's competing for an important job.

Will you start Romo again on Monday?
    I don't know what I'll do yet.

Why did you start Shanle and Coleman?
    I wanted them to be in the game. I don't want to answer that question right now. I'll tell you in a week or two. That was a bad answer, wasn't it? I don't want to tell you something that's not true, but ... I guess its no secret.

Bradie James?
    He's doing very well. Bradie is a much improved player from when we first got him. He's a defensive leader. I think he'll be among the highest producer tackle-wise on the team. I've personally spent a lot of time with the kid. He came in the dining hall the other night, and I brought up a play with him and he knew exactly what play I was talking about and the exact technical problem I was about to bring up. He made the same thing last year, and I talked to him bout it.

Romo?
    Here is my honest feeling. Here is what I learned about him .. you have to coach him all through the game. You can't take for granted that just because things are going well early that things are going to continue going well. You have to keep him focusd on it and reminding him of things. He's a very bright kid and his mind races. He has some ideas. That big sideline sesssion where we called time out and decided to punt, he had a lot of ideas. He saved us with some scrambling. The thing I liked best were those back shoulder throws to the WR's a couple of times. We don't just sling those down there indiscriminately, those are designed things with the WR. That shows progress.

Anything he offers more than Bledsoe?
    I think he's more mobile, but on a slow Friday some time I'll give you the statistics on mobile QB's to show you where that has gone the last 5 years.

Why isn't Bledsoe starting next week?
    Im pretty sure he will start, but i'm not really thinking about the preseason game right now. This is a really big week of practice we have ahead of us.

Bledsoe's job isn't for grabs.
    No, that's clear. I know that's what you guys wanted to know, you look like a bunch of Cocker Spaniels down there.

The play where he completed to Hurd.
    Those are the one of those things where if you're going to do it, it better work.

Was Simms a guy you didn't have to coach through the game.
    Simms was a guy who eventually I didn't have to coach through the game. Drew is that way now too. But he's still a young guy. Its a good thing, I'll get Chris Palmer to talk to him in between series and its something we'll have to work on.

Who called plays.
    Tony, Todd and I was in the mix just a little bit. I'm just observing the game operations. We had a 10 point lead late in the 4th and only took a 1:08 off the clock. That's not good game management. I told them we're

Julius
    He just played a quarter and didn't have a lot of room.

RT?
    Played two guys half of the time, and i'll do the same thing next week. You'll see guys that didn't play last game play a lot. Colombo did okay. They were all kind of okay.

The OL in the general?
    There were some good and some bad. We had 3 false starts and a hands to the face. Pass protection was alright. Run blocking ..we had some mental errors, especiallly with the young guys. I'll say that Proctor played pretty well, I will say that.

Skyler green returning?
    I thought he did a good job catching the ball. He will run up in there. The first punt return he had his high heels were on, but he did a pretty good job going north/south after that. I'm going to give him every chance to earn a spot on the team doing this. I know Newman can do it, but I would prefer this kid win the job. He has a good understanding of the game, someone trained him well. When he came after the 19 yard return I asked him what I didn't like .. he said I caught the ball backwards. I would like for him to be able to kickoff and punt return, but Im mainly focusing on punt return.

What about Green as a WR?
    First of all, he's short. He hasnt played a lot of it, because he was a quarterback in high school. He's got a lot of work to do on his routes. Could he finish out a game if I asked him to? Yeah, but I don't want someone who is just going to finish out a game, I want someone productive in there.

Have you seen something in Elam?
    I was happy with the way he played on Saturday. He made a big play on a short yardage play. He was in the mix. Im nervous about having Elam and Watkins in the game at the same time, since they are both inexperienced players. I've done it before, but its not something I enjoyed.

Greg Ellis.
    He did alright.

You have an idea how players are going to do heading into that game?
    I thought our defense would play alright.

Did you have an idea how Romo would do?
    I didn't know for sure, but I've spent a lot of time to get him ready to do this. Just looking at the media's reaction, if I would have did this two years ago you guys would have called him a disaster. You got to give the kids a chance. I have a lot better idea now that he can do this. He would have not come anywhere close to what he did the other night two years ago. There's an indication now that he's on the right path to being a QB in this league.

You compared him to Cavanaugh and Rutledge, doess that mean you look at him as a backup QB?
    No, I was just talking about his physical stature and the way he behaves. It doesn't mean anything about his long term value in the league.

Do you think he's a longterm starting or backup QB?
    I need more information before I decide that. I'm hoping a starting QB.

Do you feel better or worse about your OL than you did before the game.
    Better, because i saw performances from a couple of guys that gives me some hope. I just mentioned one, Proctor.
  12. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,061 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Jason Davis played in the game the other night. Did he say (or mean) that we cut Jason Davis to get to 81?
  13. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    That is strong, right there.
  14. Alexander

25,199 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    Headline tomorrow: Tuna to T.O. "SHOW ME SOMETHING NOW OR YOU ARE GONE".

Translation: Our trade with New Orleans will transpire after the game Monday.
  15. te0002

te0002 Member

820 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The most encouraging thing from today's press conference? Bill said this team has players other teams are interested in. Been a long time since other teams were loooking at the Cowboys' roster for players
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I thought he said cut. I didn't catch the name, but I thought after the Beriault talk he mentioned cutting a player.

And the non-answer on Shanle and Coleman starting was hilarious. Could it have been any more obvious what was going on there? :)
  17. Anguillidae

Anguillidae Member

434 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yes, Jason Davis was cut.
  18. Alexander

25,199 Messages
    5,430 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  19. Kittymama

Kittymama Benched

2,170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I couldn't hear the beginning of the PC (someone had the nerve to ask me a question!) but was streaming it, & it was clear Galloway was trying to stir up trouble. This is his week to be there (either that, or the rest home let him escape) so he needed to make sure everyone noticed him.
  20. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 In Tebow I Trust

14,915 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    let the speculation begin

and the Answers Shanle fantasies take a major hit