1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: RECAP: The Playmaker on Dan Patrick Show

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by joseephuss, Nov 20, 2006.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,808 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    Irvin is just great in his weekly Dan Patrick radio show Monday spot. He talked about Romo being a very good athlete. They play pick up basketball and Mike says Romo beats him quite a bit. Irvin told Romo to make sure to pick him for his team, so he wouldn't have to guard him.
  2. Dallyjake

Dallyjake Member

301 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    He better not be playing basket ball any longer. stick to golf Tony.
  3. Scotman

Scotman Member

861 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I just listened to the whole thing on the radio. Irvin is a funny guy. Talked a lot about Romo.

Thinks that Romo can only get better. Stated that he had only played a few games and it was "impossible" for him to not get better.
    Said he thinks that the Bears are the better team right now. But in two weeks, he could see the Cowboys being the best team in the NFC.
    Said that Romo is a better athlete than he appears to be.
    Said Romo actually out ran him this summer. Said Romo is so good that his great-great-great grandma must've snuck out one night to visit one of the young studs on the plantation. Dan squirmed out of this line pretty quick. Irvin laughing the whole time.
    Said Romo has an amazing release and really sneaky athleticism several times.

Dan kept pressing Irvin to say that Romo outplayed Manning. Irvin said, "What do the win say?" Guy cracks me up. "Of course Romo played better. He won."

He asked Dan, "What do you think (when asked about Romo)? A few weeks ago this was one of the worst O-lines ever assembled and now, all of the sudden, they look pretty good." (I paraphrased that)

That's about the best I can do. I'll leave the recaps to the better "recappers."

:D
    Scot
  4. SupermanXx

SupermanXx Benched

4,009 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    young studs on the plantation? I don't get it... how could Irvin's great great great grandma sneak out to see Romo play.....? what?

explain
  5. Scotman

Scotman Member

861 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He meant Romo's grandma. I'm not too swift at retelling the story. He was implying that Romo must have some black blood to be as good as he is. He was joking, of course, But Dan wanted as far away from that as he could get.
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,808 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    That is pretty good.

He touched on some other topics:

LT is a hall of famer right now.
    Peyton Manning is a hall of famer right now.
    Back in 1992, he missed the flight to Detroit by 3 hours because he overslept. His wife was already in Detroit before he left Dallas. Kelvin Martin started in his place and after one play Norv Turner called down to Jimmy and asked if Michael had been punished enough. Jimmy said okay and Mike caught a 20 yard pass.
    Mike said he was a great athlete as everyone knows. Dan Patrick asked if Michael recovered from rotary cuff surgery from patting his own back so much. Michael said he was so good that others patted his back for him. He then talked about how someday Dan and Keith Olberman would pat his back and then pat lower on his body. Weird, but funny.
  7. SupermanXx

SupermanXx Benched

4,009 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: that's hilarious, thanks for the clarification
  8. smarta5150

smarta5150 Mr. Wright

7,161 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2: Think dirty. :lmao2:

The post above me hit the nail on the head.
  9. Scotman

Scotman Member

861 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I keep remembering stuff from the show, so bear with me as I add stuff.

When Dan compared Romo's release to Marino, Irvin said, "NO way, Romo is a WAY better athlete than Marino."
  10. alancdc

alancdc Active Member

3,295 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    He was killer. Did you hear him tell Dan and Keith that they could pat him a little lower than the back if they wanted to? Man, I was dying. That bit about the grandmother going to the shed, or wherever was GREAT. Dan and Keith didn't want any part of that.

:laugh2:
  11. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,856 Messages
    621 Likes Received
    That is some funny stuff....

But we all know that if a white guy said that ...... he would be fired and run over the coals in the media
  12. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,887 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Doggonnit!!! I can't find Dan Patrick Show no where on line anymore. Help a Sportsbabe out for future reference. Anybody have links to share?
  13. Billy Bullocks

Billy Bullocks Active Member

4,075 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    See, isn't the world a better place when we can take a joke like that in stride and not make a big deal out of it. People are so uptight, glad this board has a sense of humor.
  14. NorTex

NorTex Member

965 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, Irvin is a total idiot. That statement, even though a joke, is very disrepectful to Romo's hispanic heritage.

If a white guy said that Mcnabb's ancestor must have snuck out and done it with a white guy, because Mcnabb is so smart, that guy would get "crucified" by the black community and the media. The double standard is sickening. :banghead:
  15. Sportsbabe

4,887 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Yep. I think about stuff like that a lot. Making up for lost time. Sad but true.

Mike was great on NFL Countdown too. I loved the part where he took some credit for Emmitt's Dancing with the Stars victory. Tom Jackson said: I love the way it always comes back to you:lmao2: .
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I just read: Irvin was just arrested during a traffic stop for possession of a controled substance!

I just saw this on ESPN.

Also to note: The word gullible does not exist in any dictionary.
  17. Sportsbabe

4,887 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    It's really not if you look at it in it's totality. It's not fair ... but it never has been.
  18. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,438 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Amazing what a good skill position guy in the backfield can do for the perception of the offensive line, isn't it?
    Seems the same thing happened about 15 years ago in Dallas from a different position in the backfield.
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You mean Emmitt Smith making Troy Aikman better? :laugh2:
  20. alancdc

alancdc Active Member

3,295 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with you at all on this except to say that I try to enjoy it with a laugh when it seems that it is between people that understand that it is being done in a non insensitive way. I agree that there is a bit of a double standard, but as a white male I don't know that I would feel differently if I was on the other side. I take each conversation as unique and on its own. I doubt Romo would be offended.