1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recap: RECAP: Tony Sparano with Norm on The Ticket...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by trickblue, Aug 10, 2006.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,785 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I didn't get the first part of this guys...

Sparano:
    • We are going to play some of the younger guys early on Saturday to see how they play against first team talent.
    • To be honest, Petitti played over 1000 plays and Fabini has played alot, so we really have some experience out there that isn't being considered. Pettiti is a really smart guy, athletic and strong. Fabini is pretty athletic and smart. Columbo is a big physical guy. We are alot better off right now than we were last year.
    • A player on OL can get alot better from one year to the next. Petitti is alot different player than he was last year and his body looks really good. Alot of the top draft picks on OL, well, what you see is what you get. These other guys still haven't reached their potential as of yet.
    • Corey Procter has caught my eye. He is a young guy that has learned our offense. He came to us from the Lions midseason last year. To date he is really doing some good things.
    • I'm also impressed with McQuistan. He is tough, smart and physical. He is still a little green but he shows great promise.

EDIT:
    InmanRoshi saves the day!
    The people who look at the Cowboys all seem to agree that the most questionable unit is the OL agree?
    Anyting you are looking for success in this game, it all starts up front. Its natural. I’m sure the question mark with Flozell being out and wonder if he can come back. A new player at left guard. Who is right tackle. The good thing is that this is the hardest working group I’ve seen since I’ve been in this league, and I’ve been with several teams. I also think we have some depth now that we haven’t had previously.

You also worked for the Redskins, Jacksonville and Cleveland. When people talk about Superbowl teams, they talk about the star players. But the common thread is very good offensive lines.
    Very true. Pittsburgh week in and week out ran the ball week in and week out, and that’s always the best chance to win.

Seattle had maybe the best left side in football.
    Very true. Now they’re missing Hutchinson and they’re in the same boat looking for new guys on that left side.

How would you grade Flozell right now?
    After this week, I would say he’s at a C+ right now. Early on he was trying to feel out his knee. This week, every practice I’ve seen him do something a little bit better. Its not consistant, but he’s doing better every practice.

Does he understand he might be the key to the OL?
    Yeah, he knows. He’s the type of guy who doesn’t mind the load on his back, but he needs to be out there and keep doing what he’s doing. He still has a long ways to go, but I think he’s gong to get there.

Marco Rivera?
    I think Marco is playing the best football since he’s been in Dallas. He looks like he did with Green Bay. Last year at this time not only was he coming back from a back injury, he also had a hamstring injury that kept him out for almost 2 weeks. Physically he’s so much stronger than he was last year and in great shape.

If we started this afternoon, who starts at RT?
    That’s a good question, and I think the HC will decide that. We’ve given all 3 guys a chance to go with the 1st group to see them against the best players. That will probably continue through the preseason games.

Generally in sports when a guy says we have a committee at a position, it means you don’t have one a true one. Is that what we have here at RT?
    To be honest with you, Pettiti played over a 1000 plays last year. Fabini has played 10 years. So we have some experience there. They all do something a little different. Pettiti is kind of athletic guy for his position. Fabini is smart. Colombo is the physical guy.

Ive done the draft wall to wall for nearly 20 years. It appears to me there are so many numbers of highly touted OL that don’t make it. And yet so many that come out of nowhere. Why is that?

Its so hard to evaluate this position. Players at this position change so much from year 1 to year 2 in the league. You’re going by their height and weight coming out of college, but a guy like Pettiti isn’t close to the player he was a year ago. So you take a guy in the 3rd or 4th round, and he gets better and better in your system and he becomes a different player. Some of these 1st round guys, what you see is what you get.

Any surprises in camp that have caught your eye?
    Cory Proctor has caught my eye. He was with the Lions last year, learned our offense and we were very curious about him. He’s doing good things on the practice field. I also like Pat McQuiston. He’s green, but he’s tough and physical. I like his upside.

You’ve had the honor of being the guy in charge of sitting up in the booth and deciding whether or not to challenge on an instant replay.
    Yeah, I’m glad I’m not doing it anymore. Its not a fun job. I’ve did it for Marty Shottenheimer, Tom Coughlin and Bill Parcells … so you can imagine. You’re busy doing your other coaching duties and now you have to decide what to do on this replay that often times you don’t really get a good view of.

Did you realize when you did it that you were the target for the press no matter what you did? If you didn’t challenge it, you should have. If you did challenge it and it was wrong, we’re blaming you.

Its true. You could never be right, no matter what you did. Things moved so fast, and just the way the replays come to you is not consistent. The person at home watching TV often times gets a better view than we do.
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,554 Messages
    4,841 Likes Received
    I am pleased to hear this about Rocky.
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,396 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    although he is allowed to cut his hair now, he has choosen to stay with his new do.
  4. trickblue

28,785 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I am too... he intrigued me as his twin brother is a really good athlete. Many times twins share the same type of genes.

Maybe we have picked up a really nice player here...

Long live Rocky Dennis!
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    The people who look at the Cowboys all seem to agree that the most questionable unit is the OL agree?
    Anyting you are looking for success in this game, it all starts up front. Its natural. I’m sure the question mark with Flozell being out and wonder if he can come back. A new player at left guard. Who is right tackle. The good thing is that this is the hardest working group I’ve seen since I’ve been in this league, and I’ve been with several teams. I also think we have some depth now that we haven’t had previously.

You also worked for the Redskins, Jacksonville and Cleveland. When people talk about Superbowl teams, they talk about the star players. But the common thread is very good offensive lines.
    Very true. Pittsburgh week in and week out ran the ball week in and week out, and that’s always the best chance to win.

Seattle had maybe the best left side in football.
    Very true. Now they’re missing Hutchinson and they’re in the same boat looking for new guys on that left side.

How would you grade Flozell right now?
    After this week, I would say he’s at a C+ right now. Early on he was trying to feel out his knee. This week, every practice I’ve seen him do something a little bit better. Its not consistant, but he’s doing better every practice.

Does he understand he might be the key to the OL?
    Yeah, he knows. He’s the type of guy who doesn’t mind the load on his back, but he needs to be out there and keep doing what he’s doing. He still has a long ways to go, but I think he’s gong to get there.

Marco Rivera?
    I think Marco is playing the best football since he’s been in Dallas. He looks like he did with Green Bay. Last year at this time not only was he coming back from a back injury, he also had a hamstring injury that kept him out for almost 2 weeks. Physically he’s so much stronger than he was last year and in great shape.

If we started this afternoon, who starts at RT?
    That’s a good question, and I think the HC will decide that. We’ve given all 3 guys a chance to go with the 1st group to see them against the best players. That will probably continue through the preseason games.

Generally in sports when a guy says we have a committee at a position, it means you don’t have one a true one. Is that what we have here at RT?
    To be honest with you, Pettiti played over a 1000 plays last year. Fabini has played 10 years. So we have some experience there. They all do something a little different. Pettiti is kind of athletic guy for his position. Fabini is smart. Colombo is the physical guy.

Ive done the draft wall to wall for nearly 20 years. It appears to me there are so many numbers of highly touted OL that don’t make it. And yet so many that come out of nowhere. Why is that?

Its so hard to evaluate this position. Players at this position change so much from year 1 to year 2 in the league. You’re going by their height and weight coming out of college, but a guy like Pettiti isn’t close to the player he was a year ago. So you take a guy in the 3rd or 4th round, and he gets better and better in your system and he becomes a different player. Some of these 1st round guys, what you see is what you get.

Any surprises in camp that have caught your eye?
    Cory Proctor has caught my eye. He was with the Lions last year, learned our offense and we were very curious about him. He’s doing good things on the practice field. I also like Pat McQuiston. He’s green, but he’s tough and physical. I like his upside.

You’ve had the honor of being the guy in charge of sitting up in the booth and deciding whether or not to challenge on an instant replay.
    Yeah, I’m glad I’m not doing it anymore. Its not a fun job. I’ve did it for Marty Shottenheimer, Tom Coughlin and Bill Parcells … so you can imagine. You’re busy doing your other coaching duties and now you have to decide what to do on this replay that often times you don’t really get a good view of.

Did you realize when you did it that you were the target for the press no matter what you did? If you didn’t challenge it, you should have. If you did challenge it and it was wrong, we’re blaming you.

Its true. You could never be right, no matter what you did. Things moved so fast, and just the way the replays come to you is not consistent. The person at home watching TV often times gets a better view than we do.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,554 Messages
    4,841 Likes Received
    I am serious, I smell a cult hero with him. Everyone loves him.

How can you not root for someone so ugly?
  7. trickblue

28,785 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Funny... that's the same thing BrAinPaiNt's wife said about him!
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,622 Messages
    4,709 Likes Received
    Glad to hear.

I think Rivera was fighting alot of nicks and bruises last year, outside of the back and the hammy (which I don't remember reading about).

We keep saying it, but if he and Flo are healthy, I think the O-line won't be as brutal to watch as last year.
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,901 Messages
    2,807 Likes Received
    Well no doubt...

<------------ How can you not love this guy? :)

10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,163 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    I hope your right. I think many of us have gone into the last few season with certain expectation from the O-line and have ended up being disappointed. We see the articles telling that the OL is the strength of the team and over the last few years these reports have been false. I really want to believe this years OL will be different but I have gotten to the point of show me your better. I look forward to getting a glimps this weekend to see how the OL is coming along.
  11. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,533 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Now there is someting to get excited about... :lmao2:
  12. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,491 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I don't care if he coaches our O-Line for the next 30 years, everytime I see his name, I am going to think of this guy:

[IMG]
  13. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,622 Messages
    4,709 Likes Received
    I'm not saying the 'boys will have a KC or Seattle level o-line.

I'd just settle for a line that can reduce it's sack amount by a third. W/Bledsoe, you're gonna have a high sack total, so I'm willing to attribute at least a 3rd on him.

Average would be decent for what the 'boys are trying to do. Cuz even w/all the jailbreaks last season, the 'boys were still a few breaks here or there away from being in the postseason.
  14. chargrove

chargrove Member

597 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Who are you guys talking about?:confused:
  15. trickblue

28,785 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Rocky Dennis... from the movie "Mask"

[IMG]
  16. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I think this is how good offensive lines are built. You might spend a higher pick on a tackle, but you can grab centers and guards in other places (and sometimes tackles as well).

Procter is a great example. Find a versatile guy with a decent background that fits what you want for your system and start grooming him.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,163 Messages
    2,298 Likes Received
    I understand what your getting at and I agree. I'm not expecting many if any to be considered Pro Bowl players along the OL but I think if they can go out and do a decent job we can win games.