1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recommend a TV

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Bungarian, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Bungarian

Bungarian Butt Monkey

2,173 Messages
    442 Likes Received
  2. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,809 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    Not a Phillips --had my 47 inch 4 years and it is toast...Repair company(who doesn't sell them) said Samsung or LG...For what its worth
  3. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,692 Messages
    1,058 Likes Received
    I have a 17" Samsung in the kitchen, a 42" Sony in our bedroom, and a 55" Samsung in our living room.

Myself, I prefer the Samsung.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,869 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    Samsung is almost always a good bet.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,832 Messages
    2,688 Likes Received
    Agree, my last TV was a Phillips that only lasted about 2.5 years before it fried itself. Apparently it's a problem with Phillips -- they use cheap capacitors that don't tolerate heat well and don't last.

I always thought the sort of standard advice was Sony, Samsung, or LG, with Panasonic there, too.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,869 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    I also agree about Phillips. I have a Phillips in my bedroom, and while I've had it for some time and it still works, it's also a piece of crap. Several of the inputs just randomly decided not to work anymore about 2 years in.
  7. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,884 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Had luck with Panasonic and Pioneer TVs in the past. Don't think Pioneer is making TVs right now though.
  8. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Depending on how much you want to spend and what type of room you want to put it in.

Dark room = Plasma all the way

Light room = LED

I just got a new 65" Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT50 Plasma. Nothing on the market as far as plasma can beat it. Its absolutely gorgeous edge to edge and uses a single sheet of glass w/ small bezel. The calibration you can do w/ this set is 2nd to none.

About $3500-3700 atm.

Good luck

My last set was a Pany plasma as well. I moved it to the upstairs living room. The blacks even on that old tv are excellent. Its only a 1080i set but still puts out an incredible picture. One of the reasons I stayed with Panasonic for this new TV we got.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,780 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    :signmast:

I have a 50" plasma (Samsung) and it is the best TV I have ever owned.
  10. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,794 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    All of my TVs are Samsungs. You can't really go wrong with one. I would find out their product life cycle on the TV you want and then wait until they release the next years model. Retailers will run big discounts on the prior years model.
  11. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,567 Messages
    444 Likes Received
    I have a 55" LG LED Tv

I have had it for 3 yrs now and love it
  12. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,455 Messages
    4,410 Likes Received
    Weird, I've got a 27in Phillips tube TV I've had for years w/no problems... And it's been moved three different times.

Anywho, I've got a big 65in Toshiba box HDTV.. I've had it about 8 years w/no problems. Been debating getting a flat screen of the same model, so I can free up some living room space. I was gonna hang it over the fireplace (that I don't use).

Just not sure what I would do with the box TV, since nobody's really buying those types of TVs lately.
  13. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,809 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    I think it is the Phillips LCD s and LED ; My didn't even last 4 years and it went to sizzling and burn out --cost to much to fix it..
  14. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,455 Messages
    4,410 Likes Received
    Gotcha!

----Just remembered, I do have a 42in Toshiba LCD screen that I've owned for about a year or so. I haven't had any issues and it has a great screen.
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,933 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    If you're looking for value, I got a 36" Panasonic a couple years ago. Great picture quality and I've had 0 problems with it and moved it back and forth to school a couple of times.

Might come a little cheaper than a Samsung or sony too , which is why I got it.
  16. Haze

Haze Member

36 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great tv, love mine!
  17. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have a 50'' Samsung led that I really like. The only problem is I have Direct Tv and when a storm rolls in I sometimes lose my signal.
  18. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,414 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    I have a 50" Phillips plasma and have had to repair it twice already and its started to make clicking noises again...:mad::mad::mad:

ABP: Anything but Phillips
  19. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,276 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    Have 2 Panasonics TVs, couldnt be more happy.
  20. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Never, under any circumstances, buy a Sony product.