1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Recommend beers from foreign lands

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by ZeroClub, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The larger grocery stores here in Cyprus have a wide selection of foreign beer. And you can buy it by the single bottle. I've never been much of a beer drinker, but I'd like to take advantage of this opportunity to sample.

I can't provide a list of the beers that are available, but many countries are represented (e.g., Australia, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Germany, Greece, India, Japan, Mexico, Ukraine, and several others).

I'm sure that several here can offer opinions ... and name something you lreally liked back when you were stationed overseas or on a business trip or whatever. I'll give it a try if I can find it.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,109 Messages
    4,436 Likes Received
    I used to enjoy Simpatico back in the day...don't know if they even make it anymore as it has been close to 20 years since I drank it.
  3. xWraithx

xWraithx Benched

3,449 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Mexican: Pacifico, Dos Equis
  4. gollum

gollum Member

747 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    or Indio if you like a dark beer.
  5. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Belikan when your in Belize.
  6. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,006 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    Find the Belgian beers section and stay there.
  7. Audiman

Audiman New Member

750 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Belgian: Duval, Hoegarrden

Irish: Smithwicks

but, the US has A LOT of really good micro breweries...
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,548 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    These belgians are amazing:

St. Bernardus Abt 12

Tripel Karmeliet

Maredsous 10

US micros, Lagunitas, Green Flash, Stone, Dogfish Head, Rogue and many many others are outstanding and make some of the best beers in the world.
  9. AbeBeta

25,548 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    Hit me with some specifics Theo - I love the Belgians but want some guidance on doubles and tripels
  10. theogt

44,006 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    I don't have any in particular in mind. There's a bar I go to that has 20-30 available and I just go through them. And somehow they're consistently good. Some people just know how to do something really well, and I guess for Belgians that's their thing.
  11. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I lived in Brussels for close to a year. Beer paradise!
  12. AbeBeta

25,548 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    Next time I'm in Houston (which I freaking hope is like, never from now) I'll PM you for the place.

What I've found is that the right glass really does wonders. For years, I drank stuff at home from a pint glass but a friend who lived in Belgium bought me a proper glass from one of the breweries - made a huge and surprising difference. All the breweries have their own glass, but honestly, if you've got a big wine glass - the kind that holds a half a bottle if you fill it to the top -- it is going to work wonders.
  13. theogt

44,006 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

You do that. But I'd rather take you to some Scotch bars. We have a few good ones, some you can even smoke a cigar at. Imagine that -- a bar you can smoke at.
  14. AbeBeta

25,548 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    Nice - I quit smoking technically about 8 years ago but always leave the door open for a nice cigar. My last one was a delightful little Cuban smuggled from Canada. Transcend-freaking-dental
  15. theogt

44,006 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    I quit in January '02.