1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Red and Time

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by REDVOLUTION, Nov 23, 2012.

1. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,128 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    Yes, I believe this needed a thread.

There is alot of emotional posting and some on here seem to think they are experts and all knowing.

Red is going to need time. Its been less than 2 seasons. The team was 1-7 when he took over.

Its going to take time. But I believe he will work out LONG TERM.
    Yes, we hate that there is on the job training re: Red.
    Yes, we hate that he makes mistakes.
    Yes, we hate that he has poor time management skills.

We live in IGS (I do too) and we are just doing a play by play hate of what is happening.

I think Red will win with Dallas. I dont know if Romo will be here but I believe it will happen.
  2. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Dude it takes succesful coaches 15 years to figure out how to win championships. Coaches that had to work their way up and learn from some of the best coaching trees.

Lets just write off the next decade until Red figures it out. Cool.
  3. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,322 Messages
    345 Likes Received
    Follow the process!

We have all the time for him to learn basic things, so excited about the future under him.
  4. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I swear some of you think the team is called the Dallas Garretts.
  5. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Dude you are pointing out all of this, but you won't point out the most important fact of the matter & that is that the guy has been around since 2007 and still has players on the offensive side of the ball making pre-snap penalties, still has problems with time management & still has problems with play calling at the start of the game & not being creative when the team gets in the red zone.. You can tell me the Head Coach role is different than OC all you want but these things shouldn't be happening still on the offensive side of the ball
  6. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,176 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    I was a huge fan when Garrett got hired (for me it was either him or Harbaugh), and I agree that so far, the results haven't been great, but as some have mentioned, it takes time (and a bit of luck) for a coach to learn how to win (see: Belichick, Cowher, Dungy).

That said, given Jones' propensity to jettison coaches about every 2-3 years, how would you guys honestly feel if Jerry moves onto another coach and it takes that coach at least three years to implement his system and to get this crap team to the playoffs AND Garrett goes on to another team (i.e. Raiders, Bears, Cards, etc) and wins a championship while setting that team up for a decade of success?

I guess my point is, yes, right now things are tough, but it can't be good for ANY organization to change its leadership so often (much less in an organization as dysfunctional as the Cowboys), but might patience be a good thing, even as difficult as it is now?
  7. crashintonickdm

crashintonickdm Active Member

708 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    jason might win somewhere else, but he doesnt have the spine to win in dallas.

he is atrocious, and along with wade theyre killing our star players in their prime.
  8. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Isn't it? JG is HC and OC, his brother is TE coach and his Dad is One of main Scout's. That's Jones boy 2 and Garrett boys 3==Dallas Garretts.
  9. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Screw the careers of our best players, screw the fans who pay to watch terrible football, screw the fans that buy merch and support a national embarrasment week after week......

Jason needs TIME.

Ridiculous.
  10. Cowboyz88

3,176 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    LOL...I'm certainly not shilling for Garrett, but if "more time" means getting a few more leaders in here to take the reins from our supposed "best players" Witten (Mr. False Start), Ware (Mr. Offsides), Austin/Felix/Rat/Jenkins (the All-Glass Team), Spears (Mr. Irrelevant), then yes, he needs more time.

In case you haven't noticed, the "core" has done SQUAT for three different coaches, but let's not let that huge fact get in the way.

That said, IMO, any coach is going to need time to slowly replace the leadership/team effectiveness of those guys.
  11. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Maybe if we give him more time, he can read the clock management chapter in his Football For Dummies book.
  12. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,747 Messages
    1,930 Likes Received
    I agree that coaches need time. However, at the very least, we should be seeing some improvement in the win/loss record by this point, and the harsh reality is that we aren't. In fact, the Cowboys seem to be regressing, and the lack of discipline and intelligence we see every week from them has very little to do with physical talent.

By the game 34 of the Garret regime, the team should be playing more intelligently and with greater discipline than it did in game 10 or 11. Would anyone claim that the Cowboys right now look like a smarter and more disciplined team than they did back then?

I'm not necessarily blaming Garrett for the lack of improvement. Any coach working under Jerry is in a tough spot. And a team isn't likely to improve when it changes its coach every three years.

However, if Sean Payton truly is an option, he would undoubtedly be an upgrade. You almost have to consider it, don't you?
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,648 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    Its the NFL not a junior college program. You have the best of the best playing and coaching. Training wheels need to stay in D3.
  14. Cowboyz88

3,176 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Way to stay on point.

Part (obviously not all) of his problem is that his star players hurt him a lot through silly penalties (Guess you missed Witten't false start at the Redskin's freaking six yard line), turnovers (Romo) and being in the tub instead of on the field (Austin, Rat, Murray, etc).

That's not to say Garrett is flawless, but his star players failed for three different coaches.

You think the next coach will suddenly turn lemons (from a team standpoint) into lemonade?
  15. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Your own sig belies your post.

You don't think we will even get a championship in 3 more years. And I don't either with this coach. Get ready to change your screen name.
  16. pastordug

pastordug Member

93 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    We haven't had much luck with hiring our/a Offensive Coordinator as our Head Coach...

Either hire another OC or another Head Coach.......:bang2:
  17. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,128 Messages
    465 Likes Received
    We do not have MANY players left over from 2007. There has been turnover. Without even thinking about there has to be 10 players on offense that are not here from 2007.

I do agree we should be better. We need better play. But we have alot of new players.

Well, my sig is more about disbelief that it is coming up on 20 years. I would like to be wrong and not make 20.

Garrett will be here a while. Sig stays! ;)
  18. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Then yoursig will be here for at least three more years then, sadly.
  19. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    You do make compelling points. At what point do you look at the players instead of just the coaching. What, with 3 different coaches so far this team has largely remained irrelevant.

I tend to think it's a mixture. We have low IQ players who get by on "talent". We have injury prone "talented" players. At the same time, if my HC can't figure out basic clock management then it's not making me confident about his ability to fix anything else.
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,207 Messages
    1,937 Likes Received
    Why didn't Wade get another year, or at bare minimum the end of the season, to show that he could figure out how to solve his problems?

Dallas had just won a playoff game the season prior............Wade doesn't get more time?

The reality is, you can tell by looking at a coach if he is getting the most out of his team. I don't even think Garrett is coming close. Look around the league at all the teams that have less but are miraculously better.

Indy, Tampa, Seattle, 49ers.

I mean, it's almost comical how other teams can seemingly get more out of their collection of players than Dallas can when Dallas has a number of players that would start on any of those teams.

Garrett isn't close at getting the potential out of Dallas.

It seems like some have hitched their wagons so strongly to Garrett that they willfully overlook the fact that Dallas just isn't that much better today than they were when he took over.