1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Red zone problems seem to continue.

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by OhSnap, Sep 21, 2013.

1. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    After 2 games the Cowboys have converted only half of their red zone trips into td's. Too early to panic but that's very close to last years total 51% and it doesn't fell like nothing's changed. I'm thinking the passing game inside the RZ has got to get better and become a bigger threat to score. A year or 2 ago I would have said the running game was the answer but I don't know about that anymore.
    So what's it gonna take to solve the scoring problem?
  2. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

2,573 Messages
    2,417 Likes Received
    It's gonna take a larger sample size.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    How many years you looking for?
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Exactly.

It's always a penalty (or multiple penalties) or sack, turnover, etc... not necessarily in the "Red Zone", but it always happens when we're in scoring range.
  5. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    2013: 50.00%
    2012: 51.02%
    2011: 49.02%
  6. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    penalties is a big one, I think the being able to run the football especially in the red zone would really improve the TD to FG %. Also when all else fail a jump ball to Dez Bryant at the pylon might be a good idea anywhere from the 20 or closer.
    Carharris2 and Rack Bauer like this.
  7. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    what is the percentage of the good teams?
  8. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,665 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    That's 18th in 2013, and 20th in 2011 and 12
  9. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,218 Messages
    1,702 Likes Received
    League averages those years? Average of playoff teams? ;)
  10. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

722 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Yeah but percentage wise? What are the saints,pats,broncos ect ect. If we are at 50% what are they at 70% 65%? I really don't know what are we trying to get to realistically
  11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,019 Messages
    4,534 Likes Received
  12. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,019 Messages
    4,534 Likes Received
    The league average back to 2002 is roughly the low 50%s.

The top teams are generally in the 60%s but not all those are playoff teams.
  13. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Baltimore was 61%, I use that as a measurin stick because of the SB but there are teams better at it.
  14. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,581 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    "doesn't feel like nothing's changed" this about sums up the entirety of this season and how its looking like it will shape up and shake out
  15. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    It is still early and I don't count the KC game because of the closeness of the game and their defense is good but the first 2 scores of the season was field goals. The offense should have had 2 scoring plays that the Giants couldn't stop somewhere in that game.
  16. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,446 Messages
    6,006 Likes Received
    sample size is plenty large enough. last season, this preseason we had a difficult time and the first 2 games this year. this team has a redzone problem.
  17. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    I'm only talking about the red zone offense. Other things have changed for the better and this team will win more games than last year.
  18. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,850 Messages
    1,835 Likes Received
    If we can improve to high 50's or low 60's then I think that would put us around top 12-6 in that area. Li don't see why we can't put up those numbers, especially this year. We shall see.
  19. Staubacher

2,573 Messages
    2,417 Likes Received
    Well the OP who started this thread was talking about the first two games. I figured I would join the discussion not hijack it with the usual whining about the past.
    dstovall5 likes this.
  20. Staubacher

2,573 Messages
    2,417 Likes Received
    Again the thread was started talking about the first two games. That's the sample size in question. But by all means keep crying about the past everyone else is doing it. Near impossible to discuss anything logically here because the same old whiners with the same old complaints that they force fit into every discussion.